Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ford Model A Speed Equipment

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fartman, Sep 30, 2014.

1. fartman

fartman
    from adelaide

Hi Guys,just bought a 1928 Ford A model running drivable chassis for my 14 yr old son and we are going to put his 26 Ford Roadster Pickup body on it,we would like to hot the motor up a little and was hope i could get some advice on what parts i should be looking for,and if anyone has any thing for sale.cheers Martin. _74_004.JPG

2. Martin,

My first thought would be that for a 14 year old a stock motor would be enough in a stripped down (I assume) car. My suggestion would be to get it together and running and worry about the bolt on's later. Are you starting with a running stock engine or do you need advice on rebuilding it?

If I was going to start by rebuilding the engine I would suggest a cam from Bill Stip, stipemachine.com,[email protected], (920) 467-9700 and a counterweighted crank. This will give you a good lower end that you can use to add to in the future. Ask on fordbarn.com for recommendations of shops for engine work in your area.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  3. As for parts, I prefer original stuff. Will be using a Winfield 6:1 "yellow head", 1R cam, and SR-B carb in my A-powered '27 RPU (that's a pic of the motor in my avatar). Also using a rebuilt Model B distributor. Should have plenty of get up & go for a light car.

I also understand from the folks on the Ford Barn that Snyders might be coming out with a copy of the Winfield head (in cast iron) - that may be a good option. You may want to Google Charlie Yapp/Secrets of Speed for more info on modern performance parts, and be sure to check out the monthly banger meet threads.

Check out these builds for other performance-oriented A 'bangers;
    @Bugsy's "Dust Bowl Special" 26-27 T roadster body on an A chassis - http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/dust-bowl-special.681152/
    @Carter's '29 roadster - http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/carters-29-roadster-build-thread.680005/
    @RainierHooker's phaeton - http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/rainierhookers-28-a-phaeton-early-postwar-build.759138/
    @Hitchhiker's pickup - http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...the-hitchhiker-hot-rod-model-a-banger.777933/

4. fartman

fartman
    from adelaide

Thanks for the replys guys,the motor does run just,we are going to fit the 26 roadster pickup body to it and drive it around as is,but it thought it would be a good idea to start looking for bolt on speed equipment now as i know how hard to find they are ,especially here in Australia.

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

The first thing to do to a flathead engine is increase the compression, (I am assuming a good engine with good babbitt) 7:1 is considered the maximum. Thats a Lion Speed head. Points and condensors are always the problem, get Pertronix. Next up is timing the engine with a degree wheel and timing light. Thats spelled New Model B cam from Bill Stipes with single lock cam followers, stainless steel valves, a degree wheel and the timing strip applied by the front pulley after using a magnetic base dial micrometer to find dead top center. Next up is your choice of header and carburetors. I use SUs

getting rid of Henrys horrible transmission is the nicest thing you can do for yourself. I like the fully synchronized 3 speed with overdrive and of course you need good Bendix brakes with self adjusters. Avoid the 39-48 Lockheed

Attached Files:

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  6. fartman

fartman
    from adelaide

Thanks Manyolcars,nice motor.

7. I like original parts as well. Specifically Winfield stuff.

On my banger I'm running a Super Winfield 7:1 head. Winfield SU1A cam. Downdraft B winfield carb and intake. The engine is counterbalanced and has a lightened flywheel. Distributor is a vintage aftermarket Mallory distributor and "best" coil.

If I was in your geographic location I would throw the original stuff out the window. I'd buy a New Winfield head.( they come in multiply compression ratio's. What ever cam you want. One of the single or double downdraft intakes available and a FS Ignition. Make sure to get some brass or aluminum timing gears.

Check out Red's headers,
    http://www.reds-headers.com/
    and sos
    http://www.secretsofspeed.com/PARTS-LIST.htm

I'd write more but I gotta go.

@gwhite thanks for the mention

8. I built mine with my dad when i was 16, i have had allot of fun with my stocker motor, but i do like my headers and my Holley 94 carb :) now this motor will get a touring cam and a C-head, im running a Magneto.. did not like the originale ignition.. Also, im collecting parts for a OHV build :) im 18 now.. :) 10556491_522563187843285_942006528699062886_n.jpg

10557330_10203354954927139_8650910109208873386_n.jpg
    Not the best picture, but its a roadside repair.. haha.. here is my setup after a hillcklimb i did :)

Here is the Model C head im going to mill and use:
    10639561_767111903352264_6597698234869888723_n.jpg

9. dusterdave173

dusterdave173

All you will do adding stuff is pound out the babbit--Best bet to Start with is a plain high compression head--it really makes a difference and just enjoy the thing a while. Henry had it all figured out pretty darn good--also that youngster needs to start on a non synchro trans--learn that --then move ahead if his education is to be a good one.

10. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

I would start with a dissy with centrifugal advance their are a few different options
    just easier then manually adjusting the dissy all the time
    also a down draft inlet manifold with a Stromberg or holley carb adds a few hp and again easier then adjusting the GAV all the time
    by the way I am not far from you feel free to contact me anytime
    Colin

11. Might be a good time to do an overall plan with costs. It would help with overall direction such as flathead vs overhead. I like to use an excel spreadsheet but it is definitely an overkill. It would be a good learning experience for your son.

One more thought, when I go with speed equipment I like to stick with the same manufacturer for all parts, ANSEN, THOMAS etc.

You should order a catalog for A&B speed equipment from vintageford.com. Of course I, like everyone else, would like the original equipment but the catalog will show what is currently available and it gives prices for planning.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  12. My favorite parts are the one with no name.. the homemade stuff that a guy in a garage back in the day made.. :)

13. I would suggest a little research before you mill the C head. From what I have read (fordbarn.com) you don't gain that much compression and would probably be better off starting with a Snyder's head. Remember you are limited by the thickness of the casting and piston clearance. That plus you will need a new Model B water pump (be sure to get one for a '32 and not a '33-'34)

Charlie Stephens

14. markjaramillo

markjaramillo

I have a windfield head iam selling if your .interested its the early cast steel head

fartman likes this.
  15. Its still bether than the model A head, im going to use a v8 waterpump :) my pistons are flush ;) and what fun is reading when you can try? a snyders head is expensive toget over here in norway :) this was not :) + i like the look :)

16. and back in the day, you took what you have, i still do that to this day :)

sko_ford likes this.
  17. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Don't worry too much about adding power right now. These bangers are actually quite drivable and streetable in-town with not a lot done to them. Sure, they only have about 40 HP, but they have more torque than your average modern hatchback which weighs much more.

When I built mine (which I'm doing for the third time now) paramount was driver's aides. A 1932-34 distributor got rid of me having to fiddle with spark advance while driving, and a downdraft intake tipped with a stromberg got rid of fuel mixture adjustments on the fly. Both will net a very nice drive when used with a properly set-up stock motor. And these things are easily sourced here and around the net.

Once you get those settled, then you can start thinking about power. When it comes to it, the two best things to do are Compression and Cam. There are lots of ways to skin those cats...

Posted using my Lil' Orphan Annie Secret Society Decoder Pin

sko_ford likes this.
  18. PM sent for more info on the head

19. fartman

fartman
    from adelaide

Hi Markjaramillo , im interested in the head you have for sale,are you able to send me some pics,cheers Martin

20. fartman

fartman
    from adelaide

Thanks Guys,all info has been taken onboard,and will come in handy,muchly appreciated,cheers Martin