Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 Ford Sedan Gender Reassignment Surgery

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flatnasty, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Nice spring I think you should leave it yellow .....

2. I used a T spring for mine to get the tire to sit in the wheel well were I wanted it. I still need to C the frame when I pull the body off again to keep it from hitting the axle. See my build thread for same mods used here on the frame. Here is a side picture of the wheel in wheel well. I am working on this again. I know it's been awhile.

Attached Files:

ls1yj, texkbc and hotrodderhaag like this.
  3. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Wow, I waded through this on and our today, what a job and what a mean looking coupe!
    Did you say those Tyres are 18"s? :confused: have sub'd and will look forward to watching it come together!

Sent via carrier pidgeon & smoke signals with the HAMB App

4. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Yup 18's

A little hot rod A,D,D kicked in this weekend. I was planing on building the front end on the car but kinda skipped that and went strait to playing with the new louver press. The main reason I bought the press is for the decklid. My decklid skin was BEAT. It looked OK from a far and wasn't rusty but it was drilled with like a hundred holes and was slide hammered and fiber glassed to death. So I went strait to cutting it off. It was beyond repair. Originally my plan was to goop the filler on the beat up skin and run it, then save up some cash and spring for a nice new one that was all louvered from Steve's Auto restoration. Then send my hood and roof insert for louvers as well. The problem with that was it's a fairly far fetched plan, something would happen and it would never get done. This turned out way better, now i can do it all my self and the press cost way less than a new decklid on it's own. The only problem was you cant louver bondo lol which is what my decklid skin is made of.

I guess it's time to make a new decklid skin.

A friend/hamber gave me a 39 ford sedan roof skin (Thanks Chris!) so i cut the back portion out for my new skin. 173.jpg
    The back side of the roof was covered in thick tar so I had to do a bit of scraping to do. I gently heated it with a propane torch and scraped away. 175.jpg 178.jpg It was nice and clean under all that tar so I layed out my louvers 182.jpg First pass IMG_20140621_181241.jpg punched and mocked on. The roof has the exact same shape as the decklid skin works like a charm and its all Henry ford metal. Next all weld it in.

Brad

Attached Files:

• 180.jpg
      180.jpg
      File size:
      1.9 MB
      Views:
  5. Badass !! Someone got up early, or stayed up late.....not me....YOU. Fantastic. Actually, faptastic. That car is turning out, man. You are killing it.

6. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I didn't know you could get the wide 5 pattern wheels in 18"? by the way the coupe is looking great!
    I love 33/34 coupe's, have sub'd and will watch to the end!

7. Xman

Xman

Brad, this is Hot Rodding at it's best. Your building a really wild car. Your making the rest of us look like a bunch of pikers.

Outback likes this.
  8. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

I was able to put some time into the old hot rod this weekend. I cot my new decklid skin but welded in and ground out.

Brad IMG_20140705_190128.jpg

kiwijeff, ls1yj, texkbc and 4 others like this.
  9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Your work continues to amaze me. Great job on the deck lid skin.

10. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

It's been a while since ive made a post on the old hot rod. Mainly because It's been a while since Ive worked on the old hot rod. Had a chance to get out there today and make some more progress. I figured I may as well get going on making a roof insert for it. Im going to be using the front half of the 39 sedan roof skin. Just by eyeballing it, it looks like it will have a close profile. I ruff cut out the piece. Then I made a template for the shape. For that I used Christmas wrapping paper. Pulled it tight over the roof and used a razor blade to cut it out. Once I got the insert fitting nice I decided to destroy it lol. It had little bit of a bulge on the driver side. it was tiny but it was bothering me. so decided to put a few shrinks there to get it out. It turned into a big fat fucking oil can mess. GRRRR! So I had to cut it out and find another piece of roof and splice it in. FAIL! Once I was back to square one all that was left was a bunch of louvers. I have the pics but it's not letting me up load I'll try again later

11. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Here's the pics!

Brad IMG_20140707_212325.jpg IMG_20140707_212310.jpg IMG_20140707_212250.jpg IMG_20140712_131135.jpg IMG_20140727_004040.jpg

12. looking awesome, did you have another side shot by chance?
    Cheers, and loving that stance,

Drewfus

Puddin Head and Outback like this.
  13. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Brad,
    It looks killer man!!.....push it out and snap some profile shots of it for us, Please!.....Also would you mind posting a few good shots of your loover press? I am in the middle of building mine right now.
    thanks
    Doug

Hot Rod Ron likes this.
  14. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

15. pumpman

pumpman

Love it, crazy, nasty and just plain damn good looking! Great job.

16. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Hey guys Thanks for all your compliments. I worked on the car this weekend a bit but didn't get too much done. I did however, get the hood punched. I also got a bit done on the windshield frame.

I wish i could get her outside for some better shots. it would be nice to see what I was dealing with. It needs to stop raining for one and secondly it has no tie rod so the wheels just fuck off witch ever direction they please. What do you want pics of on my press?
    Brad

IMG_20140621_233701.jpg

Pufff, K.L, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.
  17. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

this build just blows my mind. the skill it takes to not only know how to cut down a 4 door into a 5 window. but the talent to reshape it and make it look like its not even touched.. The louvered roof insert, deck lid and the hood.... amazing... those along with the stance and the chop. it doesn't get any better. I always had an eye for a 3 window, but you couldnt give me one over a 5 window that looked like that.! you sir do great work and it sure makes my want for a steel 34 even more. My half glass just isnt cutting now! DAMNIT!

18. I too wanna see pics of this thing outside, looks unreal!

I also know the pains of front wheels not connected by a tie rod.. rolling a car around like that is fucking aggravating at best.

19. kidzintha34fodor

kidzintha34fodor

Looking good!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. That hood looks bitchen !!!

21. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

Subscribed....
    a great read on a rainy day...'ya do'n good.

Bob

22. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

Brad,
    Man, it looks like you are trying to wear that new loover press out!!...LOL The panels look real good, You have got One bitchin rod there...... whats up with the 32 5 window?

23. Definitely has "the look"..

24. Yea we need profile shots of this. Roll it outside. Take some scrap steel bar and weld long bolts on each end so they meet up with your spindles and use some washers then the front wheels won't get all crazy so you can roll it out. Can't wait to see your profile shots and louvers are just the cats ass.

25. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

That is some killer looking "coupe" you're building! Keep up the fantastic work.. Giving me inspiration and ideas to finish my own "gender reassignment" 33 coupe!

26. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

A removable louvered roof panel?
    Now that would be uni-Q :cool:

Love'n this build!!

27. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Man this car is going to be so frickin cool! It looks like you'll need a back up camera though? lol

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

I'm back!

Thank you fellas for all your kind words. Ive been busy with life lately not to mention the old motivation level has been a bit low on the never ending mountain of fab work to be done.

I was able to put a day in on the car this weekend. It went well. I decided to get going on the floor. For that I got a sheet of 18g sheet metal and went out to my friends shop and he helped me roll the curve in it to match the shape of the frame. For that I just took a loose frame rail with me and used it as a template to get the shape write. We over rolled it a bit because its really easy to take a bit out but hard to put more in. IMG_20140808_223358(1).jpg
    I decided buying the floor pans would be too easy and that scratch making a floor would be hard and painful so I should do that. I invested in a new Baileigh bead roller to do the job. I figured I can buy the machine and do it for the same cost as buying the parts and have a Machine left over for other cars. Shane from Baileigh was great to deal with and really stepped up and made it happen for me thank You. Im looking forward to taking it out for a spin. IMG_20140606_155825.jpg
    Here's some pics of the windshield frame I fit in a while back. used a pizza box for a template worked like a charm. IMG_20140608_142330.jpg IMG_20140608_212548.jpg

Brad