Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs When Life Gives You Lemons!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greaser Bob, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Well I bought this motor as a 327, but after reading crank number it turns out to be a 283 instead-I suck again. But I was able to see the piston walls were fresh as are the valves-so that's a good thing. So I say screw it, I'm using it anyway!
    Thought I would post a picture of it before the engine swap happens next week-when the REAL work begins!
    image.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Nothing wrong with a 283,KENDEUCE has a wicked 283 in his vicky. HRP

volvobrynk, Bubba1955 and Greaser Bob like this.
  3. joseph.peter.carter@us.ar

[email protected]
    from USA

I would check the block casting number on the back of the block, as well as the ID number on the tab, right side. some people would install a 283 crank into a 327, back in the day.

4. That engine SUCKS! You will NOT like it!

Just put it in a wood box, ship it to NC to get it as far away from Cali as possible, and I'll be sure it gets a proper resting place! :)

volvobrynk and Greaser Bob like this.

5. Nothin' wrong with a 283, I've had loads of them that really cranked.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Yah I know very little about 283's and how they run so I'm getting stoked to fire it up soon!

7. khead47

khead47

Check the bore size. You may have a 301 (sometimes referred to as a 302). A real rpm machine!

40fordtudor and volvobrynk like this.
  8. The staggered bolt pattern Valve Covers make the heads early style (pre 59)

9. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

I ran the numbers on the heads, they are earlier Corvette.

10. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

I knew the valves needed to be adjusted, so today I removed the intake to see if the lifters were solid or hydraulic. They look solid to me-am I correct?
    I could also see through the spark plug holes the pistons were more of a dome top, and had 0.30 on all of them.
    This little motor gets funnier all the time! image.jpg