Register now to get rid of these ads!

clutch plate for flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rogrodder, Sep 19, 2006.

1. rogrodder

rogrodder

I bougth the t-5 to flathead kit from speedway. I bolted the 1984 s-10 trany to the 1951 Ford v-8 flathead, I used the stock Ford flywheel & the stock Ford preasure plate. I installed a stock s-10 clutch plate. It don't work, can anyone tell me if I need a different clutch plate. Thank you. Rogrodder

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Try Cornhusker Rod And Custom, thye have a 10" disc that works.

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I used a truck flywheel and pressure plate w/long chevy throwout bearing and a S-10 disc. Works great. Mechanical linkage will get replaced w/hydraulic this winter. My clutch leg is friggin' huge!

4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

the clutch disc has to have a splined center section to connect to the trans . good luck finding one as the place went out of business . it is a special design for that conversion . best bet is look for a used one in any condition .

5. chromeazone

chromeazone

I just went through this exercise in my '51 Shoebox!!
    The stock Ford clutch is 9 1/2"Dia NOT 9 1/8" ! You with me??
    The stock S 10 DISC is 9 1/8".
    I went through calling, mailing all the usual clutch manufacturers and parts houses and NOBODY had a 9 1/2" DISC with a 1"-14 Spline Hub! (Still with me??)
    (Even Centerforce is here in Prescott,. and although they were agreeable, they don't do "CUSTOM" stuff! No 9 1/2" Disc w/ 1-14 Hub! )
    I finally contacted CUSTOM CLUTCH in Cleveland, Ohio and they made one for me. $125 plus about $ 20 shipping. Turnaround time was about 10 days!
    I am a happy man! My Long plate was still like new and I did not want to start drilling the flywheel and buying a new plate, etc.
    I did not calculate how many square inches of contact area you will loose between a 9 1/8" dia disc and a 9 1/2" dia plate, but I want all I can get!
    Look up Clutch Threads under the T 5 threads! I made a mention in there. Good luck RogRodder!

6. chromeazone

chromeazone

7. What about Fort Wayne Clutch?

8. flat 39

flat 39

I have been running the Ford 9 1/2" clutch with the 9 1/8" S10 disc for over 16000 miles. No slippage, No problems.

9. chromeazone

chromeazone

Best thing to do is the long way, which is to call them and ask. I made lots of calls.
    I never contacted Ft. Wayne, but I've got to believe others can make them.
    Hard part is getting past Sales Desk to Manufacturing Foreman who knows Company capabilities.
    Sales folks only know what's in catalogs in front of them.
    Good Luck!
    Flat; I'm glad it works for you. I didn't want to risk a slipping clutch. I hated the thought of having to get back under the car and tear it all apart again. (71 year old bones are squeaking now!)
    What did you do for clutch linkage? Juice or Mechanical Home Brew?

10. flat 39

flat 39

I used the 8BA fork and modified throwout bearing carrier to fit the S10 input shaft.

jambottle likes this.
  11. Ole don

Ole don

On my roadster I used a stock used pressure plate, a stock used but not worn out S10 disc, and a Ford throw out with a machined sleeve in it to fit the T 5 collar. Worked great.