Register now to get rid of these ads!

He who answers Classified Add's & Common Courtesy

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by DE SOTO, Sep 29, 2014.

1. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

For some of those who know my name you know I am just recently back on the HAMB after approx. 2 years .......... For a Number of reasons ;)

I have reluctantly succumbed to Post this Post & want you to know I am not Bitching or Bad Mouthing anyone, Only to bring a Couple things to light I feel we as People need to Learn & Practice ..... Common Courtesy !

First I want to Warn you about the WANTED add's .. I recently posted an add that I needed a part ......... 1 guy answered and tried to do the Ol Money gram/Western Union Scam offering me a part for $150.00 which is to much for the small part ...

This is his info so be on the lookout if your Hunting Parts ::

James Sue Barton
    Barton Auto Spares LTD
    Hollister Fla 32148

Secondly I would like to share a Lil on my parts FOR SALE add's

When I got back I posted a few Good parts FOR SALE, Sold 2 parts & the sale went a Slick as Poop thru a Goose ..... Awesome People to deal with !!!
    You know who you are :cool:

Then I had the other 2 .... First guy Hits me Soon after I post, We Converse & make a deal, Guy tells me "I'M AN ALLIANCE MEMBER, DONT WORRY" and says money will go out this week ..... That was Sept 1st ... Pushing 5 weeks ago .

I sent a few messages & guy ignores me ... I ask him to just let me know either way, No skin off my teeth if he buys or not .......... Was easy to make the deal & even easier to say " Sorry Man, Just cant use them now" ... Or a simple No Thanks .. Whatever .

Other guy actually texts me & I call him Back, We make a deal & I offer to Deliver them 150 Miles closer to him at a Swap Meet I will be attending .... he gets back & says he needs me to ship cus he cant make it ...... Cool, No Problem ......... But then he stops talking & Ignores me .......... DAMN I coulda takin that part to the Swap if he woulda just told me he didn't want it !!!!!!!!!

So in closing, All I am doing is bringing it to the attention to Fellow HAMB Members ........... Please be considerate of those Buying/Selling/Wanting parts ... If ya cant buy then Just a Note to say you cant do it right now ( I have had a few of those) If you don't ever intend to buy ... Please troll somewhere else.

Thanks for Listening ......... Hope I wasn't to Offending to anyone o_O

2. I hear what you are saying and totally agree, not just for parts selling though a lot of people seem to have lost the good old values of common courtesy, I have sent people PM in the past asking for info on there build or product that they sell and have been total ignored.
    Just plain bad manners, when I receive a PM for a call for help from fellow members I go out of my way to share as much information I can to help them, just wish all members would do the same.
    As for wanted adds, scammers seem to be on the look out all the time, trying to get your money.

3. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Sounds like Craigslist

4. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

I get clowns here that say they want the part and will send the money the next day. 3 4 5 weeks go by and nothing. Then i try to contact them and they have either changed their mind or wont respond. This is about 80% of the time.

5. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Not Craigslist Badge , Its HERE on the HAMB.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yea, sometimes things don't go as planned.

7. Xman

Xman

How about hauling parts 15 miles one way to get the best shipping quote as requested. The guy swears he wants them. I get the totals the next day and the guy says he'll get the $ in the mail and then nothing!
    Happened twice for the same parts.

8. " James Sue Barton
    Barton Auto Spares LTD
    Hollister Fla 32148"

His dad give him that awful name because the world is rough, I presume?

9. Sadly enough, common courtesy seems to becoming a thing of the past, not just in personal financial transactions, but in all aspects of life. Have you driven on the public highways lately?!:eek:

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  10. Nothing aggravates me more than this and I have had my share of no responses after reaching an agreement for the sale of a part or whatever. Guess it is easy to say it is a sign of the times. Too bad we couldn't come up with a rating system for members........now that would be a bunch of fun and cause a little bit of controversy! :D:D

11. Been there and done it. Trusted the person and sent the part and never got any $$$ for it or even a thank you. I guess I am too honest!Bruce.

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If we had ratings I'd probably be tagged "asshole", but the wierd part about that is I'd agree!

13. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I think we all have been in this position at some time. I used to sell a lot of antiques on Ebay but have come to a screaching halt. Too many rules & little costs for the seller that add up quickly. The old rule is money talks and bullshit walks. I always tell a bidder on the classified here, the first money order or PayPal I get, wins!! Being a nice guy (which I am) normally gets taken advantage of in this time we live in. Can't turn the clocks back but you can certainly run it with your own rules.

14. Your right on the money with your suggestions. I just recently started selling off a lot of extra stuff on another truck website, Craigslist, and Ebay. It's been a roller coaster of good and bad. Sometimes it doesn't feel worth it. Just want to throw everything away and move on. I'm amazed at the crap you get from Craigslist. Used to be a lot easier to sell stuff.

15. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

It may not go as planned Fred .... But its not to hard to let a Guy know that you wont be sending $$.

That way no one is waiting on something that is expected ... Just be HONEST enough & a big enough man ........... I know these people are on the computer, How much effort is it to send 1 more E-Mail ??

Bubba1955 likes this.
  16. txturbo

txturbo

Happened to me also....made a deal to buy a complete banger motor. Sent this "alliance" member the money immediately. He acknowledged he received it and would ship the motor the next day. I waited a week and called and asked him if he shipped it. He gave me the old " I'm an alliance member and a 45 year business owner and I would never stiff anyone....trust me". After two weeks he finally dropped off the pallet at the shipper which is just two blocks from his business. I get the pallet a week later and its missing the generator and starter. I call him up and he is all apologetic....he forgot to put the box of parts on the pallet. Says he will ship it out right away. Then he stops answering calls. After a couple months I finally get him on the phone and he forgot again. I even offered to pay the shipping. Never heard from him again. Its been two years.

17. skidmarks

skidmarks
    from USA

Cant you help a bro out. Thats my favorite one.
    The hamb is free to the public and just because you are a member doesn't make you cool

18. Well said, skidmarks!

19. Some people's kids... I'm going through this right now with some stuff I have on Craigslist. What gets me is the tone of first e-mails demanding I do this, that or something else.... instructions like I'm delivering ransom money. Sheeeeeesh. Now I know why I only sell stuff every 4-5 years.

20. titus

titus

Ive had this happen many times on the hamb, communication is the key, if you decided you dont want the part after, just say so, like you said, no skin off my neck.

I think people nowadays are really scared they are going to get a bad reaction or something, ive had a couple adds on craigslist and people will email me and leave me thier number to call, so i email them back my number and they dont call, then i figured out i had to make the first call, i think they are nervious to call or somethin!

JEFF

Grumpys Hot Rods likes this.
  21. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

The problem I have is with the people in the WANTED section, some expect becuse you have a part sitting around and they want it, that you should give it to them and get all fired up when you shoot them a price. They dont even throw back a counter offer, just call you a crook or say that they saw one just like it for less 3 years ago at the swap meet and then end the conversation.
    "Thank you for responding but I may have found one locally" or "Would you be willing to take XXX for it? No? okay - thanks

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

well you got 2 choices, sell on the interweb and deal with buttheads on the interweb, or pack it all in your truck and take it to a swap meet and deal with buttheads in person. both ways have their positive points, both have buttheads.

23. 73RR

73RR

'Common Courtesy' is not so common anymore....
    Sadly, the HAMB is, quite simply, a microcosm of the population at large. Included are all of the douche bags that troll craigslist and every other forum so I am no longer surprised by the responses (or lack of) by the 'folks'.

Welcome back DE SOTO

24. I reply to a lot of folks on here that never answer back. It's free, so it's a little like Craigslist except without the self-declared cops flagging your posts down because they're too stupid to understand what they're looking at or what the rules are.

With free ads you get just what you paid for most of the time. I sell way more on the big auction site than anyplace else. I think the only thing I ever actually sold on Craigslist was a couple of tables I picked up for free, so I didn't care much when the guy beat me down on the price a little.

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

buyer, and seller beware - take nothing for granted

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Too true! Still...'Life ain't easy for a boy named Sue'...

27. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

The problem with these transactions is that they are all email and there is no face to face interpersonal exchange and therefore no accountability. The forums allow us to reach a much broader audience, but these types of shenanigans would rarely happen at a swap meet. Craigslist is sketchy, I don't want people coming over to my house to see what I've got that they might want or even worse. Very frustrating.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

DE SOTO; As Rusty NY said, like Craigslist HAMB ads are free so you can't complain too much.
    You also have to consider that most of your posts are to sell parts. My casual observation is you don't seem to contribute much in the discussion forums, so you may be viewed strictly a "parts dealer" by some HAMBers. Personally, it doesn't matter to me if you have a part I want at the right price but some buyers may treat you with less respect. This sucks but may be a factor?

I'm all about the common courtesy factor.

Sellers; If you have the time to list a part, you should have the time to follow through with timely communication and be ready to ship the parts withing a few days of receiving payment.

Buyers; Once the seller tells you the part is yours, you should be ready to make an instant payment via Paypal or drop a money order in the mail, unless you're waiting for a shipping quote from the seller. This means having the $ available, not having to raise cash while the seller is holding your parts.

Neither the seller or buyer should be "too busy" or have "too much going on" to list or buy parts. If that's the case, wait until you have the bandwidth open to sell and shop.

29. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

When I place a ad, Its first one to send the cash into my hand, gets the part. I dont hold for nobody unless they have been on here as long as Me.....