Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag strips in Arkansas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wisdonm, Sep 1, 2014.

1. wisdonm

wisdonm

Is there a current or past, paved 1/4 mile drag strip in Arkansas? If so what and where. TIA

2. wisdonm

wisdonm

None, ever?

3. MULDROW

MULDROW
    from Muldrow Ok

Razorback in Ft. Smith 1960's to 1970's

4. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I bought the contents of a Hoarders ho me and a brother of the hoarder left a box of trophy's behind of races he won I Arkansas and surrounding states. Carlisle,AR. had a drag strip for years as I heard the commercial every weekend in the '60's and 70's on the radio station KAAY. I'll try and post pics in a few days of these trophy's.

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  6. There was a 1/4 mile track in Benton back in the 60s .right on the west side of I-30,,

7. wisdonm

wisdonm

Thanks for the info guys. It's a big help.

8. mountainman2

mountainman2

Yep....watched Eddie Hill run the "Double Dragon" there in early '60s H4_1.jpg

9. joey7508

joey7508
    from TX

Centerville Dragway. Already been said. 1000ft not 1/4 mile, but I like it either way.

10. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Here are some of the trophy's that I told you about. The man that won these trophy's is alive living in Alabama. The last trophy has a light in it.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      142.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      166.6 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      142 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      146.1 KB
      Views:
    • 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      147.6 KB
      Views:
    • 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      141.5 KB
      Views:
    • 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      119 KB
      Views:
  11. the pic in my avatar was shot at george rays hot rod wild cat dragstrip

12. cory27t

cory27t
    from US

The car club I'm in just made a trip to George Ray's Drag Strip yesterday. It was sketchy to say the least. Here's a shot I took of the starting line and what they use as guardrails. They even have a sign that says "Run at own risk."
    DSC_0377_edited-1.jpg

From what I understand, they're no rules except for a helmet and a seatbelt if your car's fast enough. This Chevy coupe had an injected SBC and was FAST (cool), but also had a "rollcage" that was made out of tubing that couldn't have been more than 1 1/4" O.D. with some questionable welds (not cool).

DSC_0387.jpg

What amazed me the most was what looked like a kid no more than 12 years old racing a rear engine dragster with a SBC that ran 110 MPH in the 1/8. What was REALLY scary about that, was that the car was set up for an adult, so it had a cage that was way to big for this kid. He also couldn't reach the pedals, so they moved the seat forward so half of his body was in front of the cage, but he was wearing a motocross helmet so it's all good.

It was a weird experience at the dragstrip for me

13. but you had fun like everyone else didn't you.

Old wolf likes this.
  14. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

Carlisle was one of the last tracks in TWO LANE BLACKTOP wasn't it ?

15. Beavertail

Beavertail

I'm trying to find out more info about a couple of strips in Little Rock for my Drag Strip List website. In about 1959-63 there was a strip about 10 miles south of Little Rock that went by the name of Excell-a-Rating Drag Strip or Little Rock Drag Strip. I-30 Raceway was a 1/8th-mile NHRA-sanctioned strip running in the 1970s. I would like to pinpoint its location and learn more about it. And I'd like to hear from anyone who raced at the State Fairgrounds Dragway.

16. Well you are entitled to your opinion. But we like George Rays just fine like it is. Its affordable and not a bunch of bull.

17. They use to have a 1/4 strip at the WWII runway at the old air base a College City Ark.

18. George days was originally 1/4 mile. Then as the speeds of the cars increased they shortened it.

Old wolf likes this.
  19. George Ray’s drag-strip is my kind of playground. Folksy, homey, good old boys style.
    Just love the history behind the place. Should go well into the future hopefully.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Old wolf likes this.
  20. Yes and they also had to move the starting line foreward because the concrete was worn down. When I was a youngster they didn't have a Christmas tree. George Ray wearing a pith helmet would stand in front and point at each driver they nodded to indicate they where staged. And He would flag them off and run between the cars as they launched and spin around so he could see the race. And it looked like he was having the most fun of anyone. I also think he got great joy in telling the NHRA where to go. Once a NHRA guy pointed all the things wrong with a white hooptie and stated it was unsafe. It was Georges personal hot rod. George told him it had only gone down that track a 1000 times. And It was a pretty fast vehicle.

21. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

ECTA runs 1mile landracing events at Blyethville now.

22. Chuck Craig

Chuck Craig
    from Ocala FL

Ran the strip out on the old airfield (East of LR) many years ago in my 69 SS Chevelle. Thanks for the post, it brought back a lot memories.