Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is this part called on a 52 Victoria?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Dagenham Dave, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Dagenham Dave

Dagenham Dave

The notching and extra 2 inches at the back have been gotten!!!

My car is now sitting as low as it needs to at the back - approx. 1 and a bit inches at the same point as Jerry's in the back (ie, where the arrow is). I am so happy with its stance. :cool:

Once the fender skirts go on, it's gonna be awesome. With this new found stance, I am not feeling the need to "cover" the scoops and teeth as much as I felt before...<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG]

</FIELDSET>

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  2. enigma57

enigma57

:) Lookin' good, Dave! As an aside...... Is that a Morgan peeking out from behind your Ford in the garage pic there? Always wanted a Morgan 4 + 4.

Best regards,

Harry

3. Dagenham Dave

Dagenham Dave

Thanks Harry!!! ;)

Whether or not that is a Morgan, I don't know. I'll ask the shop owner on Monday (it's the end of the day at the end of the working week here now).

Cheers,
    Dave

4. enigma57

enigma57

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks, Dave. When I saw the silhouette of the headlamps and line of the front fenders, I wondered if it might be one.

Best regards,

Harry

5. Dagenham Dave

Dagenham Dave

Hi Harry,

The car in the background is a 36 Ford Roadster with the grill off.

Cheers,
    Dave

6. enigma57

enigma57

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  7. Lookin' good Dave!

8. Dagenham Dave

Dagenham Dave

Hi Harry,

The 36 Ford looks nice in the pictures - I prefer it customised though, especially when it's taildragging like in the last picture of Kevin Anderson's 36 Ford Custom. :cool:

I did really enjoy watching those videos, especially the one in Hawaii.

Cheers,
    Dave

Attached Files:

9. enigma57

enigma57

10. Dagenham Dave

Dagenham Dave

Here's an updated photo after the wheels have been powder coated gloss black:
    [​IMG]

Next to do is shave the mirrors, remove the door buttons and install electric door poppers, install fender skirts, put full moon wheel covers on the front, and paint it all the dark green of the rear of my car, hence removing all the flames and pin-striping.

Is the dark green on my car a traditional colour of 1954/5 period?

11. enigma57

enigma57

Beautiful car, Dave! I especially like the DeSoto grill and Olds headlight treatment up front and the tastefully done scoop fairings at the rear quarters. Do you have a photo showing the car from the rear?

Regarding colours of the early to mid-'50s time period, I was in juniour high at the time, but as I recall, the colours ran the gamut from light pastels to darker, metallic colours.

By the late '50s and early '60s in our area of Texas, darker candy colours and lighter pearlescent based colours were becoming quite popular on the higher end professionally done customs here.

Our family had a new '54 Ford and the original paint was a very dark metallic green (Highland Green)......

[​IMG]

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/chipdisplay.cgi?year=1954&manuf=Ford&smodel=

I was not particularly fond of the dark green colour when I drove the car to high school in the early '60s. So I painted the dash, steering wheel and interiour window mouldings a very light gray, had the interiour redone in alternating burgundy and light gray tuck and roll with a light gray headliner and burgundy carpet and painted the car a light 'Confederate' gray with a few burgundy pinstriping accents (nothing gaudy nor overdone, also had burgundy pinstriping on the dash) and on the rear fenders about a foot forward of the rear taillights in small Old English lettering...... Named her the 'Gray Ghost', of course. Couldn't afford chrome reverse wheels at the time, so painted the steel rims burgundy and ran '50 Ford trim rings with chrome spider caps.

Look forward to seeing more pics of your '52, Dave. Stunning car you have there, to say the least!

Best regards,

Harry

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  12. Dagenham Dave

Dagenham Dave

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the compliments and the colour advice and charts. I love the green of your family's 54. It looks similar to my dark green.

Here is a photo of the back of my car:
    image.jpg

I need to change the rear quarter panels - I have purchased both RR and LR tail-light quarter panels off a 53 Ford, and I have repro 53 tail-light assemblies and repro 53-54 Ford lenses from C&amp; G Ford Parts (http://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/cgcat...t=B3AZ-13434-A) and the repro 54 (88) Olds lens from Fusick Automotives (http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts....ts.asp?dept=53). For this look:
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412050171.901726.jpg

I also want to relocate the rear license plate to the bumper.

All that's being done at the moment.

Cheers,
    Dave

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  13. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

14. Dagenham Dave

Dagenham Dave

15. enigma57

enigma57

Should look awesome and period correct with the smaller tail lights and license plate moved down to the rear bumper, Dave! Small world indeed...... I had Olds tail light lenses on my '54 Ford.

Found some interesting photos of customs from that period here......

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/custom-car-builder-spotlight-paul-bragg.386068/

Several cars on this page have Olds lenses. Here is an interesting treatment utilizing Olds lenses on this 1950 Mercury. As your present Ford rear quarters have been smoothed of the round tail light sculpting up high, a lower positioning of the round Olds tail lamp similar to that of this 1950 Merc would look very nice on your '52 Ford...... Perhaps having them set at a height that centers them equal with the body line extending rearward from the top of the scoops sculpted into your '52 Fords' rear quarters......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the peaks at the upper portion of your rear fenders above the tail lights could be formed similarly to those of a '54 Merc to better blend in with your car's body lines......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just an idea,

Harry

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    Dagenham Dave likes this.
  16. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

That's a nice looking '52 Victoria. I had a similar one that I sold earlier this year....

PICT0013.JPG

17. Dagenham Dave

Dagenham Dave

Hi Harry,

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't get an email notification of your post...

Thanks for the comments and advice.

I absolutely LOVE the look of these tail lights:
    SweetMetalWork3or-vi.jpg

And these:
    b7865fdef311519b63398eaef529d780.jpg

Are they standard 54 Merc?

Now I am confused - 54 Merc, or am I better replacing the rear quarters and going for the Jerry Quesnel look?
    Jerry-quesnel-1952-ford.jpg

Confused,
    Dave

18. Dagenham Dave

Dagenham Dave

Thanks Lebowski.

19. enigma57

enigma57

Decisions...... Decisions......

Yes, I understand your quandry Dave. Both the original Ford and Merc tail light treatments are quite different and each in their way is quite attractive.

I suppose it really depends on what you want and how well it blends in with the whole of the look you are after.

I would suggest keeping your present rear quarters and modifying only the rear portion where you will have your new tail light treatment.

Personally, I like the custom look of the Olds tail lights as they are worked into the rear of this '49 - '51 Merc......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This approach would meld both the upper '52 - '54 Merc rear fender 'peak'...... And the smaller, round, period correct Olds tail lights that were so popular when fitted to '52 - '54 Fords...... But mounted lower, centered on the line separating your upper and lower '52 - '54 rear quarter panel contours.

Worth considering and it would give you the best features of both in my view...... Along with a nice '50s correct custom touch that you won't find on many '52 - '54 Fords or Mercs (if at all).

Just use the round tail light opening and the rounded portion of '52 - '54 Ford rear fenders below the lights, position the lights lower as indicated and form peaks similar to those on '52 - '54 Mercs above the round Olds tail lights. The '52 - '54 Merc 'peaks' will better suit your car's body lines than the more rounded '49 - '51 Merc fender contours above the Olds tail lights in the attached photos. Then mould it all in so that the contours flow together seamlessly and I am sure you will be pleased with this look.

Best regards and all the best to you on your new tail light treatment,

Harry

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  20. 29tudor

29tudor

I have a MINT set if anyone's still looking for these. No scratches or dents, pm me

21. 'Mo

'Mo

Dagenham Dave,
    The Ford quarters are tits! But they're already gone.
    Be Miles Davis. Don't go back.. Move ahead.
    What year is your grille? What year are your headlights? 1955 brought a host of options.
    If you're in a pre-'55 zone (HUGE difference) look for something that will set your ride apart.
    The spirit of customizing was once to expand the envelope, rather than today's trend to paint within the lines.
    Think '54 Packard, '54 Kaiser, or....Get my drift?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  22. Dagenham Dave

Dagenham Dave

The biggest annoyance is I have already purchased the '53 Ford rear quarters and taillight assemblies and '54 Olds lenses, and getting stuff in Australia is hard/virtually impossible, and getting stuff from the USA is not that easy (or cheap now) either.

And I do so like this:
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386153684.038924.jpg

And the rear lines of Jerry's 52:
    Jerry-quesnel-1952-ford color.jpg

Cheers,
    Dave

23. Dagenham Dave

Dagenham Dave

Thanks 29tudor, but I'm keeping my rear quarter scoops.

24. 'Mo

'Mo

The Ford quarters are very nice!