Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Lerenzo Rawson and Frank Taylor like this.
  2. OldColt

OldColt

I thought that car was the ugliest thing ever. It has grown on me now. I think it is cool in an outrageous way now.

--- Steve ---

Frank Taylor likes this.
  3. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

So how long is it going to take to "grow on me"?:p

4. CGkidd

CGkidd

I always thought it was so weird it was cool.

5. Hey Dog Patch, you ready to talk pistons yet? :)

6. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Hey Dog_Patch, come on down to Ware Shoals Saturday and watch the gassers run. Quain made this announcement today.
    BIG NEWS FOR THE WARE SHOALS RACE THIS SATURDAY THE 27th

The South East Gassers Association is pleased to announce the return of past Pro Mod World Champion and First door slammer to break the 5 second barrier Mitchell Stott. Mitch has decided to accept the role of test driver for the newly updated 33 Willy's Gasser owned by Dave VanAlystine The excitement of Mitch's decision to strap back in a r...ace car after a 10 year retirement from driving is exciting, but wait until you witness his power got me in it power will get me out it refuse to lift driving style "Which just happens to be perfectly matched to the 33 Willy's notorious reputation as a wild and hairy ride" and the reasons to attend a SEG event just increased tenfold. It is not certain at this point how long Mitch will be responsible for gear jamming the 33 Willy's, so be sure to come out to Ware Shoals Dragway this weekend for a show that is sure to have you setting on the edge of your seat. 1956725_10203418182154447_3949361737060026799_o.jpg

7. Let me try to give you a call today. Right now everything is there to build the engine except pistons :rolleyes:

8. That's awesome news! We are planning to be there - plus - we are bringing a Pollack and some extra socks with us.
    dave.jpg

9. Tony be sure to take plenty of pics, tell Dave we said hello and try to persuade Quain and the gassers to attend RWYB #9 :cool:

10. Wow Saturday was a big day. Broke down in the Sedan Delivery going to the Gear Jam.

polack_ass.jpg

Got that fixed. Tudor sent me a pic of a gasser bumper in the swap. It took until noon for me to get there and the dude was loading up. Which might have been ok since it helped the selling price. I hope its not going to be a wall hanger - if it falls it could kill a dog!

I bought it because I need a pipe but also because it was supposed to have been on a gasser in the 60's called Pronto driven by Joe Yarini from Tucker Ga. He also said the car was in a magazine but didn't know which one. Oh AND the caps open so you can add even more weight! :confused:

So far I have only found this info :
    http://www.draglist.com/draglist/search.php?q=pronto&search=Search&exact=exact&VIEW=Extended

DSC03842 (Copy).jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
    catdad49 likes this.
  11. Then we helped Tyler make a pass in his dragster and headed to Ware Shoals to watch some SEG action. It was packed and pretty crazy since the track is really narrow. Talked to the SEG guys and crawled under cars and made more mental changes to the build plan, got home after midnight. Awesome day.

First thing after Sunday chores - box the front rails so the front axle mounts can be built.
    DSC03845 (Copy).jpg

12. This just lead to more time trying out the fit of the '33 Plymouth front axle and what the hell might as well try the whole damn engine :D (its the plastic mock up engine I borrowed from Cabbage )

IMG_0187 (Copy).jpg

IMG_0185 (Copy).jpg

13. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

It's amazing what dropping a motor inbetween some frame rails will do :D

Looks perfect so far

jakespeed63 likes this.
  14. Thanks for hauling that bumper home Tyler. Your neighbor watched me take it off your front porch and instead of calling the cops she thanked me :)

15. CGkidd

CGkidd

16. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Mock up looks Awesome. That Gasser pipe bumper is Cool with history, it will bring you good karma.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Dog_Patch and powrshftr like this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

You know that duct tape was invented to cover that unsightly plumbers crack right? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    jakespeed63 likes this.
  18. captmullette

captmullette

definitely not PG 13.......

19. That's just obscene. Was Dave the hood prop??!!

20. I'm surprised he doesn't have a tramp stamp over his crack yet "Poor cold beer here"

21. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Enjoyed the visit to your house yesterday, Tony. Two things about that Dodge totally impress me. #1 the condition of that body is phenominal for a 61 year old body. #2 The amount of work you have accomplished in the short time you've had it is absolutely amazing..

22. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

Dog patch I haven't been on hamb much lately. I missed this thread some how. This thing is going to bad ass. How do you get so much accomplished so quickly? What about the digger? Did you finish it and do you still have it? Awesome work!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. I was just going to ask if anyone had a cold beer to pour

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  24. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Jeff, did you know our old standby, PBR has been bought by a buncha fuckin' Russians?

25. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

you guys coming to Paradise Saturday?

26. Josh (Tudor) is the full owner / driver on the digger now. This gasser build was too many irons in the fire for me. He has made some fast passes in it. Thing is bad ass!

Tudor_2014.PNG

How did I get so much done? Wondering that myself. My Dad was diagnosed with pancreas cancer Dec 24th, 2013. I spent 5 months helping him to get to his reward. He passed the night after Steel In Motion this past May. Its a tough way to go. I think all that made me realize how mortal we are and how time is limited. Just finding it hard to sit still after that.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    Mtn Goat, GAOldsman and Frank Taylor like this.
  27. Enloe,
    Man I would love to - but - trying to build a car here :D its a maybe.

Hey I meant to ask over on your Gear Jam thread, do you have any 1965 mags? I wanted to try and find that 'Pronto' gasser the rear bumper came off of. Is there a master list of feature cars somewhere?

28. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I AM SURE I DO HAVE SOME 1965 MAGAZINES HOT ROD , CAR CRAFT, AND POPULAR HOT RODDING. I AM UNSURE IF THERE IS A MASTER LIST OF WHERE THE LIST WOULD BE ON FEATURES.

CAR IS LOOKING AWESOME BY THE WAY:)

29. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I AM POSTING SOME PICS ON MY HOME THREAD NOW