Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Squeaky QA1 coilovers on the front of my 57 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cobb Ware, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Cobb Ware

Cobb Ware

Just installed a brand new set of QA1 front coilovers. All of a sudden, the front end sounds like the a arm bushings are squealing on bumpy roads. If you bounce up and down on the front end, it squeaks its brains out. Anybody had this? Thanks

2. rfraze

rfraze

I did and it turned out to be the bushings. A little lube helped a lot. Car went away before I had to replace them.

3. squirrel

squirrel

urethane bushings usually need lubricant, such as silicone grease. Rubber bushings generally do not, they just need to be tight enough so there isn't any movement between the rubber and metal parts.

4. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

there are different kinds of bushings. I'd check with the manufacturer for recommendations.

Some polyurethane etc call for some special lube at assembly.

OEM rubber ones are bonded to steel shells on the ID and OD. All the motion occurs when the rubber twists internally. That's actually pretty slick method since nothing slides, wears out, or needs lube. A popular style of coal pulverizer (Pulverized coal is responsible for over 30% of US electricity) uses bonded rubber bushing at a heavy duty joint that withstands something like 30,000 lbs and continuously oscillates while the mill runs. The OEM rubber lasts 20 + years. The bronze bushed version has been wearing severely and seizing up in about 3 years.

5. Cobb Ware

Cobb Ware

Thanks a million. Checked everything, and found the culprit to be the bushings on my sway bar. Thanks for the input