Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Painting question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JYPSEA, Sep 28, 2014.

1. JYPSEA

JYPSEA
    from Florida

I am getting ready to paint bc cc and wondering about sanding the base coat before applying the clear? Or is that a waist of time ? And how fine to sand bc, 800 , 1000 or finer? Thanks for any help.

2. 1oldracer

1oldracer

If you clear coat within the 12 to 24 hour time frame, depending on which base coat you are using, it is not necessary to sand the base coat. In fact if you are painting a metallic base coat, sanding it may make it look uneven under the clear. You should be able to get a tech sheet for the paint you are using from where you bought the paint.

3. What he said........it should bond together pretty well considering. Now in the end process......after the clear cures up........that's when THIS GUY.....enjoys wet sanding with everything higher then 1500 grit. I like slicker then baby's asses....and I have a thing for black black, blackity black., black.

4. inliner54

inliner54

X2 don't sand the base coat. It can even change the color of the base coat by sanding it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. JYPSEA

JYPSEA
    from Florida

Alright, you guys just saved me a lot of work. Thanks

6. the violator

the violator

All good advise, definitely don,t sand met base or you will see sand marks after you clear. I have sanded imperfections out of base coat and then reapplied color to hide sand scratches.The bases i use have 24 hr window to clear them.

7. oldolds

oldolds

As stared above you clear over base in 24 hours with no sanding. If you need more time than that to lay out stripes you can seal it up with an (darn forgot the correct name) inbetween type clear. It gives you a bit more time to lay things out, or seals it up so you can prep for a top coat.

8. Slopok

Slopok

Intercoat Clear.

9. afaulk

afaulk

Very important to apply clear coat in the proper time window or the clear may not adhere. My friend's clearcoat blew off with an airhose. $5500 down the drain.

10. lol........in the real world too. 90's GM and Ford had some fantastic clear coat issues.