Register now to get rid of these ads!

lowering 1962 ford fairlane ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Javier, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

im wanting to lower my wifes 62 fairlane 3 inches in the front.has anyone done this recently and how much did you cut to get a three inch drop.im using blocks in the back.thanks

2. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

anybody out there ?

3. INTRUDER

INTRUDER
    from NW Indiana

Her is a link to pics of my '63 Fairlane 500.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dinerguy/FairlaneBuickTradePics#

The problem: messing with the front springs on a early Fairlane is the are a B*^TCH to get in and out.

In these pics ... we cut two coils to get it to sit this low.... the entire front end is rebuilt EVERY part is new. AND these things are HUGE I mean BIG as large as a full size pick up trucks.

After we removed the old coils, we were surprised to find that they were the exact same size as the new spring. After 44 years they had not compressed one little 1/4 inch.
    Getting the new springs back in was the single hardest and SCARIEST thing I have ever done in or to a car.
    There is even a special tool FORD made just for the 62,63-64 Fairlane Front Coil Springs. Even the tool was huge and scary!!!!

If i had to do it over again I would have taken the advice of an old Ford man we spoke to... "don't try it...don't take those springs out ... bring the car here and I will just warm them springs up and get her down foe ya."
    Man! I wish I would have listened to him.

So.. my opinion, warm the front springs and use lowering blocks in the back. I also added a set of adjustable air shocks for when we go on road trips with the kids. Let me know if I can be of further help.

4. lgh1157

lgh1157

Intruder - Is this the same as the fullsize 60's fords [ galaxies ] ?

Jack the car up on stands, pop the ball joint [ with the bolt still on ] with the jack under the lower A arm, then lower the jack - slowly , and drop out the spring .

When putting the spring back in did you use one of these ? :

http://www.jtrbrakesystemtool.com/s...egoryid/337/atd-tools-coil-spring-compressor/

Im looking at doing this next weekend. i've done it plenty of times on Galaxies, so im feeling good about it

L

5. gecko54

gecko54
    from Sumner, WA

Just dropped my new toy...63 T-bird. Has the same set up with the spring on top of the upper A arm. Them damb things were 17 inches long after being cut and had to go back in a 12.5 inch hole. A little gos a long way. One coil equals two inch. I took two. I then cross referenced shocks and found 78' to 88' Chev Malibu, Monte Carlo to work and be just under two inches shorter. Got my smooth ride back. The stock shocks were bottoming out.

6. gecko54

gecko54
    from Sumner, WA

Dang, just noticed how old this post is.

7. lgh1157

lgh1157

Yeah . I bought it back from the dead :D

8. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

Well I lowered it in the front a while back and didnt like the look, so put S10 springs in and now it sits maybe a inch lower than stock height.

9. iron infantry

iron infantry

you put in s10 spring? witch ones i just got a 64 fairlane wagon and somebody cut alot out of the old coils. i would like to have it just about an inch lower then stock and im having a hard time finding any coils.

10. & to bring this back from the dead one more time....

Has any one used astrovan coils like the shoebox dudes do?

11. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

I traded the car 6 months ago.

12. Noa

Noa

I just finished a front end rebuild in my 64 fairlane 500 4door. Even with access to nearly every kind of spring compressor there is, this was one of the scariest and cheekiest things I have ever done. And mine were cut before, so even with an aprox of one full winding cut out it war close to impossible to get it back together. IMO- the shocktower/header clearing issue is king and this is his queen, in regards of engineering mistakes in a 64.

13. havi

havi

I used the KD3450 spring compressor to remove mine. But I also wrapped a length of chain around the spring and steering knuckle. Glad I did! Sounded like a bomb went off when it popped out of the spring cup. Needless to say, I won't be putting them back in. old thread, I know.

14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Also noticed that this is an old thread but I too was shaking in my boots putting those springs back in. I have a nice dent in the shop door and a hole in the drywall to remind me to keep a chain on em' next time!