Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 327 issues again

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jahlg, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

My 327 is blowing a ton of carbon out of just the drivers side exhaust. Has a bit of a hesitation. Have yet to dig in to it. Any suggestions

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Dig into it and see what's going on.

3. CGkidd

CGkidd

What carb u running?

4. Yes what carb, and what type of intake manifold, open Plenum or 180* type? JW

5. do you mean black somke or actual carbon deposits flying out of the tail pipe? check the mixture on the carb, maybe one side is running to rich.
    double plenum?

6. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

Sorry. Quadra jet four barrel. Its leaving black spots on the floor right beneath the pipe. And yes there is smoke that comes out of it. I just had issues with a broken valve spring on pass side. Ran terrific after replacing the spring. Then it started this issue.

7. check the carb, may have some crud in there. Did you try adjusting the carb?
    do you have another crab to swap? maybe a buddy may have one
    How long has the car ran since you did the valve spring? maybe burning up what was left in there if hasn't ran long at all

8. slammed

slammed

Add Sea Foam to your gasoline regardless. Pull the spark plugs. How long/mile's have you put on it since repair? Any l o n g trip's/highway miles since? Is the bank that is loading up the same side of repair? Details of your motors history make a list and double check it and then post it.

9. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

ok, how do i use the seafoam? introduce to fuel tank, or small amounts into carb? it is the drivers side that is blowing carbon, it was the passenger side that broke the spring, checked the drivers side, all springs intact. was only a couple weeks of limited driving before this happened. car has been sitting all winter, a long winter

10. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Check your fuel maybe stail add seafoam to tank & add fresh gas

11. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I can think of two possibilities. Low temp thermostats with today's fuels make horrible carbon deposits in combustion chamber area in a hurry, so up the temp is one idea. Slammed & Engine138 are right, next idea sea foam, the inventors grand son is sales rep in our area & knows his family's product well to say the least, I took him to some of our bigger dealers & he slowly poured little sips down the throat "carb or tbi" whole slightly reving & super amounts of black crap blew out the exhaust. It's an awesome product for cleaning Combustion chambers & most retailers who sell it keep a 4 ft long capped off "straw" that goes in the seafoam spray deep creep "100 percent seafoam in a spray" give that a try. Good stuff. Flux

12. T main wells.jpg he carb may be leaking from the main well tubes.
    Pull the carb and check for fuel on the bottom center area. JB weld

rockfish and loudbang like this.
  13. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

So is the smoke black, blue or white? In cooler weather you'll see a white cloud of steam and condensation will drip out of the pipe along with some carbon deposits that it washes out of the exhaust system. Some of this is normal for carbureted engines.

14. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

its more of a grayish color, and it is doing it when its warm out. not just dripping, its leaving stains whereever its at, i am going to pull it out of the garage this week, having issues with battery, think my battery tender is draining it, got to figure that out

15. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

One side of the carb feeds cylinders 1, 4, 6 and 7. The other feeds cylinders 2, 3, 5 and 8 so it shouldn't make only one side smoke. Does it have a stuck heat riser valve on the exhaust manifold on the passenger side so the bulk of the exhaust is going to the drivers side. The other things could be a valve seal or an intake gasket leak that sucks oil in. If an oil drain in the head plugs up, the oil can build up around the valves so the seals leak oil past the valve guides.

16. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

im going to check the heat riser valve, was reading up on it, may be the issue, how do i know if its stuck?

17. Yep

18. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

gotta look into it this weekend, sure sounds like the heat riser

19. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

so the lever on the side of the heat riser only moves about 3/8 inch, i havent taken it apart yet, but im thinking it should move more?

20. yes.it should rotate almost 90*. If the counter weight [lever] is in the down position the valve is open. As the engine cools,the bi-metal spring will close the valve.

21. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

it is pointing towards the side, away from the block

22. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

So the heat riser was hitting the exhaust, as soon as it started to rotate it hit the inside of the exhaust. So pulled it off and cut the whole mechanism out. Only drive it when it's warm. So don't need it. Onto other issues now