Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Roadster Accident on 5frwy this morning!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Bob, Sep 26, 2014.

1. CGkidd

CGkidd

Damn scary. Any further word on driver?

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I see a model "A" frame, looks like it might have been a '30-'31, and probably glass from what I can see. I'm hoping the axle wasn't the cause as everybody else does.

Hoping he recovers well.

daddio211 likes this.
  3. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

This is very disturbing. I do hope the driver pulls through without incident. BTW I didn't know they made any Roadsters in 1944.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Looks more like a 2004 roadster to me. I don't see any original parts there. If it crashed due to componant failure I hope we find out what went wrong. I'd say driver stood better chances out of the car then belted into it.
    Being hit by a Toyota is enough to break a cast axle thou.

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

It disturbs me that there are reporters out there who don't know that there were no cars built in '44 period. What do people learn in school these days?

lewk, need louvers ? and volvobrynk like this.
  6. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure hope the best for the driver. Hate to see this anywhere.
    Can't tell about the body, but looks as its burning glass type.
    My old neighbor was a Capt. in CHP, Commander of San Fernando valley div. & told me that they never had fatalities PROPERLY wearing seat belts in rollovers, & most drivers NOT wearing seat belts would be ejected & car would crush them.
    I always wear mine!----Whatever I'm driving!

daddio211, loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  7. Best wishes for the driver. I have looked @ the pic after the fire dept put the fire out & if that is glass it must be some pretty tough stuff. Look to me like a lot of body left. The tire is burned but looks like a door & more left. Unless there is a good roll bar I don't think a lap belt in a rollover is much good.

8. Oh man, I sure hate to see things like this, for the following reasons, and in this order:
    1) I hate to see a hot rodder (or anyone, for that matter) injured or killed in an accident. It makes me feel sick. That could be any one of us.
    2) I hate to see any hot rod destroyed that way.
    3) I hate to add to the public perception that hot rods are dangerous or unsafe.

I sure hope the persons in that car are going to be okay. My thoughts and prayers go out to them.
    Seeing that axle snapped like that is really disturbing. It sure as hell wasn't one of Henry's. Man, we really need to check out the parts we use in our cars.

9. bardahl1

bardahl1

A couple of things appear to be clear from the picture;
    1. The Axle broke at the perch
    2. The front wheels appear to be in good shape, making it unlikely that an impact caused the axle to break. Likewise, if the Toyota hit it while it was on its side hard enough to break the axle, it would have taken a lot more of the front end out.
    3. It appears to be a glass car based on what was left after the fire.
    4. Based on what can be seen in the picture, the car appears to be a nicely done street rod with 4bar, hair pins, HEI/late motor, etc. Not what most here would consider a poorly built car at all, style not withstanding. It is unlikely that was an original Ford axle though.
    5. That stretch of FWY is not a nice piece of road, lots of big ass potholes and uneven surfaces. If it broke the axle the poor guy driving definitely had his hands full with very little control. Could have easily crossed a few lanes in a hurry, and with both wheels locking out it could roll without hitting anything.
    6. The CHP officer is a jackass, not because he got the year wrong - average people don't easily know hot rods year from year - but because he was clearly insinuating that the car was unsafely built and also that most similar cars are too. Tool.

Really hope the driver makes it in the end - hate to see this happen...

Mercchev, Dean Lowe and falcongeorge like this.
  10. I think we all want to know the details on the axle.
    Hope he makes it O.K.

11. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Hope for the best for the occupants. Nasty wreck.

12. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Does anyone know who the driver was?

13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Yikes. Hope he pulls through.

14. slammed

slammed

The comments regarding inaccurate description of car, term's like rat, ect shows a real concern for a fellow human being that is likely damaged for life. Real class showing through.

15. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

The news video is a prime example of what the average hot rodder is up against. They have very few facts about what happened, but they sure are quick to mention no seat belts, ratrods, drugs and alcohol and speed, among other things. Typical news media. I guess some things never change.

daddio211 likes this.
  16. This is hard to see. Could be any of us or friends. No one know what happened but the driver. He may not either. The hell with the car, I sure hope the driver pulls through alright.

17. I guess the cop crawled into the fire to see if there was a seat belt. Good call. Maybe drugs or alcohol. Great. Lets assume the worst since it's one of those death trap rat rods.

18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

In every car crash there is something to learn for all of us. So the; the hell with the car is wrong!
    But the rest is so true!! We dont want this to happens to our friends!! Or any other like minded soul who haven't fund HAMB yet.

The drugs and alcohol, I thaught it mean dont do this at home/we will check every last possibilty and talk to the driver. Or drivers be aware, we dont want all kids to do unsafe shit.

19. Anyone possibly think that the driver may be a HAMBER? it's a probability.. and most likely.

20. slowmotion

slowmotion

I sure hope the driver gets through this OK. All the other stuff is just bullshit until the true facts are found. Assuming this & that doesn't help the situation. Seems a lot of people wanna jump on the Sherlock Holmes/CSI bandwagon.

21. hope everyone is ok!

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

My thoughts exactly

23. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Don't know if any of you know him but the driver's name is Javier Martinez, and as of right now he is in stable condition.

24. Nobey

Nobey

I hope we find out who this gentleman was, so we can send
    condolences to him and his family.

25. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Inital report I heard on TV was that he lost a tire, hit the median and was ejected,,, then the roadster was hit by two diffferent vehicles. Which more that likely was the cause of the broken axle.
    Prayers are with the driver.

26. I agree with giving Sgt Gomez a break.
    Too many needless comments here, regarding his lack of knowledge, concerning old cars. Then, the frosting on the cake is comparing his policework to his lack of car knowledge. WTF guys?
    I do not know the inner operations of policework, but I do know old cars.
    I don't think knowing one or the other is any reason to beat someone down.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  27. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

That front axle looks to be broken (because of the bend next to the break) when the car got belly-punched on its side by the Toyota. I'd be more weary of cast spindles than the axle.

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seeing that the driver is in "stable" condition right now is reasonably good news.

I wonder if by chance the car was registered as a 1940? Officer Gomez was probably going by what the dmv said the tag on the car was registered while interjecting his personal views.

29. glad to hear about the driver being in stable condition.....

30. marshallal

marshallal
    from amherst ny

ANY SERIOUS INJURY IS A SAD THING...PRAY FOR THAT DUDE... STILL AND ALL, THE BIKERS HAVE A MUCH HIGHER RATE OF DEATH, AND INJURY THAN RODS...I TRY TO GIVE ANY ONE THE BREAK IN TRAFIC. I HAVE A HARLYCANE TO WALK WITH.....I DO NOT WISH THAT ON ANYONE...MLMLML

Spoggie and spiffy1937 like this.