Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1915 T Speedster build....

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rdomeck, Sep 26, 2013.

1. I researched fabric bodied cars extensively a few years back...There were a lot of cars covered with Pyroxlin-coated canvas (DuPont Fabrikoid). After corresponding with some guys in the Bentley owner's club, I found that this material is still available in the same colors, grains, and weights as were used in the 20's and 30's. It is sold as a book binding (much the same way Fabrikoid was marketed) and produced by Ratchford in the UK.

Back when I was planning out a fabric-bodied speedster, I called them up and ordered some samples...the fabric is fantastic and easily workable - plus no having to mess with aircraft dope.

http://www.ratchford.co.uk/Maincategory.aspx?id=22

brEad likes this.
  2. rdomeck

rdomeck

gwhite, That is exactly what I have been looking for. Thank you very much for the link. I will order some samples from them....

3. rdomeck

rdomeck

It has been a while and not pouch progress until last night. I have had one of those weeks were I really wanted to come home and drink all night. Decided I would do something productive instead. Went from a chassis to this design in about 5 hours. My plan ( as of right now) is to spend a little time building this simple body and get this sucker on the road.

I have been working on this for way to long.

Attached Files:

4. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Nice lines, it's going to look sharp.

5. rdomeck

rdomeck

Got some more work done.... I may order some steel in this week and get this thing covered and into paint!

Had to cover it in paper before I left it for the night.

Attached Files:

brEad likes this.
  6. Kume

Kume

do the ford T hub caps share the same thread with the chev hubs?

7. rdomeck

rdomeck

I machined my T hubs with a little step to center the chevy wheels. Only about .030-.040" Just enough to grab the edge of the wheel. I then drilled the chevy wheels for the T bolt pattern.

8. This is awesome! Subscribed! Here's a terrible pic of an A speedster I built about 7 years ago. Custom body from a fellow in LaPeer, MI.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

9. rdomeck

rdomeck

Steel coming in tomorrow. I may add a back seat to make this more of a touring speedster! Will do a mock up and see how it looks.

10. rdomeck

rdomeck

I had an idea two nights ago that turned out to be a really good one. I was able to secure the parts for said idea today.... It's going to be awesome! I will post up some pictures this weekend.

11. pumpman

pumpman

Man, had to turn the deuce around on this one. Missed the start but I'm glad I found this. Very enjoyable, story, pics and history. You're progress has been great, keep her going!

12. rdomeck

rdomeck

Well after a little measuring of my 46 chevy 2-ton shop truck I decided to try and find a hood off of that to turn around backwards and use as the back of the body. I quick search and I found one about 10 miles from me. I picked it up yesterday and spent about 2 hours today cutting it down and welding the two halves together. I am really liking the shape. Now I just need to find more time to work on it!

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  13. pumpman

pumpman

You had mentioned that you were going to do a rumble seat, are you still going to or has that changed?

14. rdomeck

rdomeck

Still going to do a rumble seat. I may also look for another hood to use as the belly pan.

One of my big pet peeves about speedsters is that the body always stops at the frame and doesn't wrap around the bottom making it look very unfinished. Will see how that pans out.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. rdomeck

rdomeck

Another hood located and should be to me soon. I was on vacation all week, so all I got to do was think about working on this! May get a few hours in tomorrow... Maybe. After lawn work and installing the AC in my new office.

16. rdomeck

rdomeck

Pick up the second hood tomorrow. Got the rear of the body secured tonight and the rumble seat hole cut out. I have some very creative hinge work to do as I have decided to have the rumble seat drop down and slide forward behind the rear seat.... Cause why not. It would be easier to have it open up like other ones, but I don't like easy!

17. rdomeck

rdomeck

And some more progress. The rear has been on and off a few times. The rubble seat moves forward just like I wanted and the rear belly pan is starting to take shape.

I do hope I can keep up the momentum. I would like to make it to The Race of Gentlemen. If that doesn't work out I will maybe try for the Newport hill climb..... I'm just not saying which year!

Attached Files:

brEad and kiwijeff like this.
  18. I really like the look. HRP

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. pumpman

pumpman

That really worked out well! Nice job.

20. rdomeck

rdomeck

I'm getting a little closer... Made the gas tank tonight. Will make the back seat maybe this weekend. Trying to get all the stuff figured out before I skin it. Easier to reach in the side and mark things! Ordered the leather for the seats and side panels.

But.... I have to dig up my yard this weekend and fix a sewer pipe.... May get a few hours in on Monday, maybe!

21. Olson

Olson

Great work. The hoods look killer. Sub'd.

22. rdomeck

rdomeck

Finished out the gas tank. Complete with baffles. We had a piece of scap with some hole cut into it from the water get so I cut it down and welded it in. Also made a little bowl around the pick-up to help with any particles that may get into the tank. Drilled holes in about an 1/8" from the bottom so most of the fuel in the tank could get into it. I am trying to get this thing done by October 10th..... Hopefully life doesn't get in the way too much!

Attached Files:

brEad likes this.
  23. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

YA GOT TO MAKE NEWPORT ON SUNDAY , BE TONS OF SPEEDSTERS THERE.
    IF I CAN HELP YOU ON THAT DISTRIBUTOR IGNITION LET ME KNOW BE GLAD TO HELP..

JIM L.

MrModelT likes this.
  24. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Wow, loving this buildup!
    The old SU carbs huh? I have lots of experience with those things. Gotta sit on an angle as you've discovered.
    Can't wait to see the finished car, should be a heap of fun to drive.

25. pumpman

pumpman

One more step in a series of many! Nice job.

26. rdomeck

rdomeck

Didn't snap any photo's yesterday.... I did get the steering column mount made. The gas tank into position and holes cut into the body for the filler neck and the pick up. Seats made. Finished the floor board. I am getting very close to putting skin on this thing. I hope to get all the internal stuff done so I am not working around the body work. I'll post up some pictures this week.

I might still be able to drive this in October... Might!

27. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Here is something dumb to think about. The myth busters just flew a plane that was skinned with duct tape. Not suggesting you do that but you could use it to make patterns for your fabric sections if you are still considering using cloth. Cover the sections, remove as a piece add 3/4 inch or so for what's called the seam allowance then cut your fabric accordingly. I was talking to a fellow who built a 5/8 scale WW I Spad replica and he said the fabric he used was uncooked or unheated Dacron. Once it is cut and fastened in place you use a heat gun the get the curves in and the wrinkles out.

28. rdomeck

rdomeck

With the use of the hoods I am sheeting this in metal. I did find some cloth to cover the wood.... And I may start another build to do that some day. Thanks for the input. I will look that up and get a sample in just to see how it works.

29. rdomeck

rdomeck

Well, Between a section of fence and two 6 foot stone columns being knocked down at my house and having to dig up and replace a section of sewing pipe in my yard I haven't got much done on the speedster this week.... Hopefully I'll get some time this weekend, unless my wife tells me different!

30. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker