Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Chevy 235 Money Pit HELP!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51fordor, Sep 24, 2014.

1. 51fordor

51fordor

I purchased my 54 last August in the western part of NC. I drove it home to the coast and it ran fine for the most part. The car did develop a small hiccup/misfire/sputter while cruising as I progressed home. The car starts up easy, accelerates like a cat with it's tail on fire, keeps low temps and clean oil. When under a load of acceleration the car runs flawless. As soon as I back off and start cruising along at a speed around 50 there develops a random sputter. It is very subtle but it is driving me nuts because I know how good it can run. I have installed a new HEI Distributor, new plugs, new wires, new grounds, rebuilt the carb, and rewired the entire car throughout the last year. The problem has gotten no better. I was thinking maybe since the car was in the mountain/piedmont region of NC it's entire life maybe it was jetted for elevation. The carb has a #56 Jet in it so I don't know if thats my issue. I do know the heat exchange valve thingy on the manifold is seized open. I doubt that matters but worth mentioning. The only thing I am yet to do is a valve job and replace manifold gaskets....Thanks in advance for any help you can offer guys!

Attached Files:

2. oldsman41

oldsman41

not exactly sure but you might have a valve hanging up. run a tankful of gas with marvel mistery oil in it 4oz to 10 gal it says on bottle might help clear it up. you can also add some to your oil i do about two hundred miles before each oil change. i know this crappy gas they sell doesnt help either but we have to live with that.

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

As I recall a 61 or 62 main set was stock. Sold my 54 about 50 years ago. Also leaky manifold to head could cause your problem.

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Manifold gaskets, tight valves, power valve leaking thru in carb, cracked insulator under carb ...

5. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

^^Check this stuff, I had cracked insulator under carb and it did a lot of strange things.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. 51fordor

51fordor

Did a valve job today. . Every single valve was way to tight. Guess the previous owner didn't know how to adjust them. Exhaust is 018" & intake is 006" now. Idles way smoother and runs perfect now. Night and day. Thanks guys for all the input.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!