Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Canadian Selling a Hot Rod To a U.S. Resident

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hyway Hauler, Sep 22, 2014.

1. oldsman41

oldsman41

you say you live in ontario i used to cross the border all the time truck driver. at windsor the have brokers to check in are stuff and i believe going the other way its the same. just talk to a broker on your side and he should be able to steer you to the right officals. this will cost some bucks and i dont think you want to incur that cost.

2. Keep

Keep

I was not aware of these rules, thanks for the clarification.

I would still not do anything unless it was cash!

3. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

There is a wallet card you can get as a US Citizen to enter Canada and Mexico ONLY. You don't need a full blown passport which is more expensive. My daughter in law is Canadian citizen living in US on green card (yes she is legal) and my son and the boys have the wallet cards.

4. 2935ford

2935ford

It's not difficult. Sometimes there can be some paperwork so have good reg/title and BOS.
    I would look up US Customs on the web get a phone # for the Sault St. Marie US office and tell them what you are intending. They will tell you exactly what you need to do.
    I have not had any issue with either customs bringing in cars and I have taken one in to Mass and as I remember there was no paperwork involved. Told US customs what I was doing and away I went. The new buyer simply took the reg to the DOT in Mass and transferred it to his name......done.
    BUT......not al crossings are identical.....so, just check first. It will save you a lot of time and get the name or badge of the person you spoke to there on the phone for reference if you need it later.
    I would not suggest a broker unless you or the buyer are willing to pay their fees.

Just My 2cents.

5. 2935ford

2935ford

Oh, I have also crossed over (recently) w/o a passport as I was told all you really need is your birth cert and I showed my drivers license as well.........both directions.

6. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

2935ford, Sorry you are giving bad advice, all border crossings are the same and use the same rules. The buyer MUST have the Import Document issued by USA Customs or they will not change the title, if the seller takes it over the border he must use a Broker because they now deem the transaction to be a Commercial Venture. Larry

7. Good discussion with important information .....

Jim

8. pontman

pontman

Not if you live in a state that boarders Canada. All you need is a enhanced drivers liscense. Let me tell you they are impressive!

9. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

I don't know about the Passport thing...in my opinion, everybody should have one...In Canada, you need a Passport to go just about everywhere...

10. 2935ford

2935ford

Larry, thank you but.......I am only speaking from personal experience.
    I'm not arguing the rules. I have crossed at different borders from different States and Provinces.
    I can tell you as a fact........one US crossing bringing a car into Canada wanted only a fax sent to them of the reg/title and BOS while another crossing had to have the originals mailed to them but both had to have these docs 72 hours b4 crossing. So, there are differences.
    I have never used a broker nor needed one or been told I needed one.
    As I suggested, make a phone call to where the crossing is intended to find out exactly what is needed.

11. 2935ford

2935ford

Oh and also.....none of my vehicles were considered or treated as a "Commercial Venture".

12. 2935ford

2935ford

some clarification.....if the buyer or seller is/are dealer(s).....that's a whole different ball game.....that is in fact a Commercial Venture but I do not believe that to be the case here.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Charlie is correct, And while you may get into Canada with only a US driver's license you will pay hell getting back without a passport, Enhanced driver's license from one of the mentioned states or a US Passport card that costs less than a regular passport. http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/card.html I see a lot of those while checking ID's daily at work.

It looks like a damned if i do damned if I don't kind of deal, I'd say it's up to the buyer to figure out how to make it work.

14. dbeach2

dbeach2
    from missouri

the guy does want the truck. HE is not a scammer. he is my uncle and truly wants the truck. All you need to do is call him and he will work with you to get the truck.

15. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

I have talked to your uncle multiple times on the phone, sounds like a really nice guy, and I know he wants the truck.. I started this thread to get info on how to get it across the border without hickups. I never called anybody a scammer.

16. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

2935ford, The OP is trying to take the truck from Canada to the USA not bring one into Canada as you suggest. Dealing with Canada Customs for importing is completely different from dealing wit USA Customs for exporting. The exporter does not have to send a couple of the title 72 hours in advance, that is a US Customs requirement.. Larry

17. Larry, is that a new regulation? My father sold his '62 (non-HAMB-friendly car) to a guy in California early last year, the shipping company wouldn't cross the border so he took it over himself and shipped it from Buffalo. No broker and no problems. He had all his paperwork in order and only had to prove that it had been exported correctly from the US when he'd bought it originally.

18. 2935ford

2935ford

Larry......thanks. I understand what he is doing. I have taken a vehicle that I sold to a fellow in Mass. I had no issues getting into the US......I didn't need a broker......and he had no issue getting it reg'd there. So, I have done what he is trying to do.

19. jazz1

jazz1

Why would you look here for 3rd hand information on how to export a vehicle to the US. Phone US Customs office at the border crossing you plan to use and get the correct information first hand. I always phone ahead of importing as rules change frequently.

20. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Big A, This has been going on for couple of years now, that is why when you come into contact with US Customs and they ask you where you are going with your street rod , you tell them a car show or whatever. The next question is your car for sale? If the answer is Yes, good luck getting into the USA. I was told by a US Customs officer that the sale is a commercial venture. Now the only exception to this is that if you have a buyer in line you must have all his pertinent information including his SS number, Bill of Sale and Title (ownership). Most US buyers will not give you there SS number. The cost for using a broker is relatively low $150-$300. and is usually the buyers expense. Over and Out on this subject. Larry

21. 2935ford

2935ford

x2