Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hurst syncro-loc, anybody ever rebuild one?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by falcongeorge, Sep 23, 2014.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Anyone on here ever dis-assemble and rebuild a Hurst Syncro-Loc? I have rebuilt plenty of comp-pluses over the years, but never a syncro-loc, and when you pull that dust cover off, there aint NOTHIN familar in there! I need to dis-assemble it to get my stick re-chromed, but this is a rare piece (side shift cad-lasalle) so I am a little uneasy with my usual "just go for it" approach. Anyone?

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yes, I was looking at that, it helps, but I was hoping to hear from someone who has pulled one apart and gone through it. I guess I should probably post a couple pics, will do that shortly.

3. falcongeorge, I will contact Mark Shepard tomorrow about the Hurst Syncro-lock to get his e-mail address. otherwise you can call him at 860-884-6833. he does a lot with Cad LaSalle side shift transmissions, with Hurst shifters. he is not available on Wednesday. nick.

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks Nick.
    Heres some pics.

backside, I'm guessing I have to grind off the back of this rivet, and tap it out with a punch?
    syncro-loc 002.jpg

Bottom side, sorry its a little fuzzy, both roll pins are still there, I'm guessing to change it to the straight line pattern, the upper one comes out?
    syncro-loc.jpg

Top view, is this flat wound spring under pressure? How hard is it to get all this crap back into the housing? Any tips?

syncro-loc 006.jpg

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Mine does not have any of the "patent pending" stuff or any patent numbers stamped on the face of the housing, and it does not have a bolt-on stick, so I'm guessing its an early one? Bowie mentioned that my shifter has the square-top stick, which means its probably circa '61/'62, circa 1960 should have the yo-yo handle?? I still gotta do some research in my old mags on this.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

7. loudbang

loudbang

Be very careful when you slide the arm and stick assembly from the housing. There are wave springs in there between the parts that are VERY SHARP. I know because I did it on a hurst mystery shifter and still have the scar 45 years later from one of them almost cutting my finger off .

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

George: To be honest, I've never had the need to take one apart. I know the very 1st version, does not have the limit adjusting lock bolts on it;not that it effects the dissasembly. Looking forward to seeing you get her apart,good luck with it.

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks loudbang, thats the kind of info I need.

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Its GOTTA come apart, as you can see in the photos, the sticks gotta be re-plated. Besides, I always made it a practice to disassemble every comp plus or super shifter, clean up and carefully deburr everything with a file, and re-assemble it with lots of moly. Makes for a nicer shifting unit, cant see why this should be done differently.
    I dont think they really intended for guys to rebuild syncro-locs. On the other hand, they didnt think guys would be hunting this stuff up and using it 55 years later. Hell, in 1960, they thought we'd be driving George Jetsons car by now...

11. Laughed my ass off,thanks!

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

13. Did you ever get this shifter apart? I am currently trying to disassemble the same shifter; looking for tips

14. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unfortunately George has left the building. Hope he's doing fine.

15. I bought mine in 1965, and it has a bolt on stick, if that helps. I read that the spring has a tremendous amount of tension on it. I have the paper instructions posted on the HAMB somewhere, if that helps.
    Bob

16. UUMMMMMMM^^^^^^^:rolleyes: catch up guys.....