Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1928 Plymouth model Q roadster? rumble seat, silver dome motor, and unknown rear end

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ajax22, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Ajax22

Ajax22

I found a 1928 plymouth roadster (I think) that looks to have been slightly modified back in the day. (I think the fenders and hood were pulled by the original owner) It also looks like it may have had a rumble seat? I don't know how to tell for sure but i think it has a rumble seat.

It has the original silver dome 4 cylinder motor and bell housing and front end, but the rear end looks to have been made custom by narrowing a more modern unit and setting it up to use the original plymouth brakes.

I don't recognize the rear end and could use some help identifying it.

I also had no idea that these vehicles had so much wood in them... Has anyone fabricated new wood? are any kits or plans available? or has anyone replaced the old wood with structural sheet metal?

Did these have wooden floor pans? Were folding windshields available as an option? any good places to scrounge parts?

Any help would be appriciated.

My original thought was to drop in the 346 flathead from the stuart light tank I have in the garage, but the silver dome looks really neat and fairly complete.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

looks like a nice solid car there!

3. Ajax22

Ajax22

Thanks, the only rot on her is on the drivers side rear quarter panel just up at the top (on the rolled edge) not the easiest place to replace steel but it could be worse.

4. Appears to be a 28', I would check for serial #'s stamped in the frame rails, usually on the drive side on the face of the frame rail (wider area) they stamped them twice front of frame and rear of frame. Or if it still has the tag on the firewall. Mopar made so many different models in the late 20's and in the 30's its hard to tell exactly what year you have? I'm building a 30' Chrysler coupe, the serial# tag was on the passenger side "A" pillar door post. It didn't have a tag on the firewall. I believe thats the original rear axle, looks very similar to the one I pulled out of my 30'. They did have juice brakes in 28', actually 1924 was the first year Mopar came out with juice brakes. Also it should be a rumble seat car as most roadsters were. I replaced all the wood in my 30' with steel. I'm not sure if anyone offers replacement wood for 20's-30's Mopars? Not sure about parts, roadster parts are always hard to find. Looks like you could have a decent project car! Good luck

5. F&J

F&J

Appears to be a 28 Q rather than a 29 U. Engine code is Q for 28, and your firewall had a coil mounted in that largest hole. That hole is found on 28s, where later Mopars starting "sometime in 29", used a coil mounted into the back of the dash.

Some body and top parts will interchange with Desoto's built from calender year 28 up to 30-ish, as well as the smallest Chryslers like Model 65 and 66. Dodge stuff won't fit, even though Dodge was part of Chrysler Corp, the Dodges never shared much from the other brands in these years.

I've had quite a few. I did do a roadster with no wood left in the late 70s, replacing it with 1.5" steel square tubing. Yes the floors were mostly wood, but had a short section in the rear body floor, made of tin. The main sills were 1.5 thick.

The plymouth had a shorter cowl height, and shorter hood and shorter radiator height, so those parts need to be Ply only. Being that the cowl is shorter in height, that made for a taller windshield & posts, compared to the other Mopar roadsters. But the folding top would be the same.

Front fenders are same as 28/29/30 DeSoto K. Rear fenders are almost the same as DeSoto, except the DeS used a full width, 3 piece, rear frame cover, which needs a few holes on each rear fender to bolt it to. Ply did not have a full cover, just 2 small pieces around the tank filler and gauge unit. Rear fenders from a sedan won't fit a roadster.

Headlights and the bar across is Ply-specific, but DeS and small Chrysler would fit. The Ply lights were shallow buckets, the others had deeper buckets. The Ply bar was flat between thelights, the others had a slight upwards curve. Bolt pattern on fenders are the same.

What else?

6. Bruskie

Bruskie

a friend had a 26 which looked very similar to this one. the windshield was a one piece tall unit that pivoted on the stations don't know if it was stock or not. rear end was gm 10 bolt on 4 bars. hope this helps.

7. bigorangetruck

bigorangetruck
    from TX

Gonna be a gem! Good Luck!

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Perhaps your friend had a first year '26 Chrysler.......Plymouth nameplate began with '28 models.

9. Ajax22

Ajax22

What does the framework/internal springs for the rumbleseat and interior look like?

10. F&J

F&J

There is wood at the top of the quarters, starting at the door gap, running across the back to the other side. From that top piece, there are angled wood beams down to the floor. The seat backrest lays on those angled parts. The bottom of front seat just sits flat on the floor, no tracks, no adjustment.

Rumble seat backrest cushion is made with a curved back side, to fit the lid. The bottom sits on a slightly raised rear floor.

That tin piece on the rear floor I mentioned, sits right where the rear passengers feet would rest. It is tipped at an angle, to make your feet comfortable at an angle; like the angle on most cars front floors.

Serial number: The only place you will find a number with no wood left, is on the dash. That oval shaped medallion on passenger side would have letter/numbers stamped in a raised-up fashion. Surface rusted tag won't show much to read. There are two nasty spot welds on it's back. If you drill those out, even not going through, at least two numbers will not be readable from the back side. I suppose most DMV might take the engine number for a serial number, but the motor numbers never matched the car number. They don't need to know that :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Somewhere on the HAMB I have posted several pictures of a Plymouth PB motor I used to have. QActually two pictures. One flathead and one OHV conversion using a Y block Ford head. For some reason I can't post pictures here anymore. But you might be able to find them by doing a search.

12. CGkidd

CGkidd

Cool roadster. RichFox the overhead conversion sounds cool.

13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Thats a really nice roadster body. I really dig the shape.

That would make a Beautiful roadster.

Will you hop up the 4 banger? 318 poly? Or whats the plan?

Keep us updated :)

14. F&J

F&J

DSCN3633 (Medium).JPG My first 29 Mopar roadster I bought in 71 for $800, running/driving. 283 3 speed, built in Massachusettes in the 1950s. Was originally turquois back then. 33/34 Ford truck radiator shell from when built. 32 Ford headlight bar, pushed out in center. Note the headlight size on genuine old rods, small sealed beams like King Bees, not the giant goofy stock bulb headlights that are in fashion these days.

This is not the one I changed the wood to steel. Can't find the pic yet.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. Ajax22

Ajax22

I was originally thinking of building my 346 Stewart tank motor for her (that's why I was looking in the first place)

The little 4 banger is pretty slick though.
    [​IMG]

46international likes this.
  16. Bryan Green

Bryan Green

Gonna be a gem! Good Luck![​IMG]

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

This roadster ran 113 mph with the flathead and 135 with the Y block head. It was a PB motor with steel backed insert bearings and counterweights on the crank from the factory. I made a twin plug finned aluminum head and side cover. Used a Pinto distributor. reground cam. If you go to the Speedway museum web site and look for Plymouth they have some good pictures of it. Give you a good idea of what it would look like if you paint it yellow and put some hot rod goodies on it.

18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Hopped up Banger is cool, but steward tank engine is Epic!

What does that put out stock? Are we gonna see multi carb intake and lake style headers? Or is that just me?

What about gearbox choise behind that major mill?

19. Ajax22

Ajax22

I think they put out around 150 Hp on paper with oodles of torque.... Not a particularly high raving motor but

I think the biggest issue with swapping it in will be that the 346 weighs around 900 lbs.... Which will necessitate some major suspension work.

I may have to scrounge some aluminum heads. Rods, pistons, intake etc just to try to reduce some of the weight.... Eddie edmunds made a 2x2 intake and I believe there were a few different head options (although my motor has heads that are different from any other tank motor I've seen before, mine looks like a 37 cadillac head not the tank head. But since it came out of a tank and onto a pallet I'm pretty sure it's original.

I was thinking lasalle 3 speed transmission..... I watched a movie years back where the kid in it was trying to scrounge a lasalle transmission and it kind of made me want one someday ;) they are pretty cheap and available regularly.

Definitely lake pipes.... (although I also was considering functional zoomies that dumped out actual Buick style portholes....... Not really practical but I've always wanted to see that. Particularly at night.... And the 346 is the perfect motor for it with the exhaust ports where they are.

20. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That is one hot and heavy mill!
    I could be so awesome.

LaSalle trans is a sweet piece too.

I would claim that zoomies will be Real loud, but lake style headers will make it possible to tune your exhaust note.

If you build that exhaust set up with zoomies and vent ports, it would be just like at an speedfire. That would be so awesome.

21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

My vote is absolutely Stewart/LaSalle!

"Listen Mr... It ain't broke if I can't fix it"

22. Ajax22

Ajax22

Yeah, classic Hiboy roadster look with something creative for the exhaust has a sexyness to it.

Any thoughts on wheels?

I may have a line on some 22 inch 1940 or so dodge truck delivery rims that aren't too far gone to save. (might need a few pitts welded and smoothed to hold air, but nothing structural...

I want to keep the tall and skinny tire look.... maybe spoke rims (although i think the truck rims are steelies.

I want to mock things up as a roller

Is there a good place to get a tutorial on roadster / hotrod suspension types and styles? I want to do something that keeps a late 30's to early 50's vibe...

23. blacknblue

blacknblue
    from utah

Looks like the car a guy I know owned out of West Jordan Utah, I was told it was a Chryler/Plymouth roadster and only built one year. Don't know if it is true or not. I know an another guy that has one just like it only much more complete. Also in Utah.

24. If you can supply a close up photo of the oval badge on the dash, we can tell you exactly what the body is. That is the FEDCO serial number. They are a series of letters and numbers and are VERY difficult to read if corroded.

25. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

You have given me good information from your questions and answers already , but I have a 29 coupe that I bought all in parts. I do have the engine so I have that number off the side. High planes drifter said that there's a number on the frame front and back. I don't find one at all. I do have a copied list of serial numbers form a book and it says that the number is under the right front fender on frame . is this right? I have not gotten the fenders off yet so don't know.
    both of my dashes are missing the badge on dash.
    F & J you are very knowledgeable on these cars, could I get you to post some close up photos of different parts later so I can tell what some of the parts I have are? I also have a 31 coupe and my brother has a 30 coupe someone chopped the top on his and welded the trunk lid closed. He is trying to find out how the trunk was hinged on his. I believe that his was a rumble seat because the trunk lid came all the way up to back of cab(Roof) where my 31 has a panel between roof and lid. I believe that his has a small tab like a hinge sticking out of top of quarter.
    Thanks for the help!!!

26. Your brother's coupe had hinges at the top (as the car pictured has) and is not a rumble seat car. Rumble seat Plymouth coupes in 1929 and 1930 had the panel between the top and rumble seat lid just as the business coupe and rumble seat coupe had in 1931.

Attached Files:

27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Here are pictures of my hotted up 26 Dodge Bros banger (Yellow head) and my OHV '32 Plymouth banger (Blue Y block head). It can be done with a little work. Not a lot of money and some machine knowledge.

Attached Files:

28. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

And this is what your flathead Plymouth would look like if you do the work necessary. It's harder than filling out an online order. But the Cd flathead isn't very well covered in the Summit catalog either.

Attached Files:

29. CGkidd

CGkidd

Awesome inlines there RichFox

30. The engine number says that it is a 1928 build date/year. See the following....

Attached Files: