Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration When is fishing "on Topic"?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by utahdodge, Sep 20, 2014.

1. utahdodge

utahdodge

When you are catching Mercs! Members of a northern Utah search and rescue team have been training with their new sonar equipment lately. They have pulled 4 late models out of a good sized reservoir this month, then today they pulled out this Mercury. http://fox13now.com/2014/09/20/car-...ervoir-spent-as-many-as-50-years-under-water/

2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wonder if the accelerator is pushed to the floor? That's the only way they'll start after they're flooded.....

3. pastlane

pastlane

no barracudas or marlins?

4. Health department announces fish are now safe to eat due to the lower mercury readings!

jetcycles, Thor1, loudbang and 8 others like this.

5. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

looks like that Mopar from Tulsa they put in the time capsule

7. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Years ago probably back in the 60s someone built a lake not too far from me and put some old car bodies in it,(50s stuff) for the fish to bed in, My Grandpa, my Dad, my brother and me went there a couple times fishing in the early 80s when my brother and me were kids.
    I was more interested in the old cars that were surfacing somewhat all about the lake than I was fishing but anyway I remember my Grandpa joking that every time he would catch a fish near one of the old cars the fish would swim inside and roll the window up on his line.:D

The place was called devils harbor, Not sure why but the place was abandoned and sold at the courthouse steps at a commisioners sale (for a song I heard) a few years ago.
    The guys who bought it cleaned it up and have a private paradise there now.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  8. 327Eric

327Eric

Looks better than the Tulsa car​

9. You smarta++!:p

Ben

10. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I know that I shouldn't ecourage you ebbsspeed, but that was funny!

11. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

"Clean Carfax; no flood damage..."

40fordtudor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Don't drink the water.

Chia Merc ?

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of my coworkers dives for search and rescue and has lost track of how many cars he has dived for in the ponds, lakes and rivers around here. He helped pull two out of the river last weekend that had been stolen several years ago and dumped in the river and were spotted when the water got low.

14. I read a news story once that told of finding multiple cars in a stone quarry, each with a female skeleton with a bullet hole in the skull. Turns out there must have been a serial killer using the place to dump bodies, but the women were kidnapped over such a large area the crimes were never grouped together. This was way before DNA testing so there were a lot of unanswered questions. Creepy stuff.
    There was a car found in a creek in South Dakota last year that had been there for 40 years. the remains of the 2 girls that went missing 40 years ago were in it. The cops back then thought the girls had run away from home.

15. That's hilarious! icon_lol.gif HRP

40fordtudor likes this.
  16. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These two girls disappeared on the way to a party at a gravel pit, end of May 1971. The car was a 1960 Studebaker Lark. I lived about 60 miles away, and never knew a thing about the missing girls until the car was recovered earlier this year. Amazing how the internet has made news available to us that we probably would have never heard 40 years ago. Nowadays if a wino bum disappears in Halifax, Nova Scotia the people in San Diego know about it in 15 minutes.......

slack and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. aaggie

aaggie

My wife was from New England and in the '60s we were an vacation for some sort of Winter Carnival. The locals put about twenty old cars out on the frozen lake with numbers painted on them and sold raffle tickets for guesses which one fell through first when the Spring thaw hit. As the ice begins to melt they hire people to sit on the Life Guard stands with binoculars to record the winning date and time. Great fun but I asked how many years they had been doing it and nobody could remember when it started. I did find out the lake is 1200' deep and the cars were in no danger of filling up the lake.

18. jnichols

jnichols

19. Same thing happened in Knoxville T.N.Kid went missing a couple years ago and then this spring the found him and his car in the river he was going around the curve too fast and went off the road.Bruce.

20. ..............................................................LMAO:):D:):D:D:):D

21. jreeder41

jreeder41

Started reading that link to smokstack and pissed away my morning!!!

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That happens here in Florida fairly often. We have so much water that occasionally a car will be found that someone drove off the road in and they disappeared for years, until the water table drops and then the car becomes visible.

There was even one locally where a girl college student somehow hit the gas or something and drove into the lake on the college campus. No one knew what happened to her and a couple of years later the roof of the car appeared above the water and the mystery was solved.

Creepy stuff.

Don

23. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Not sure if ya enjoyed the read... Ha

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn, that took a dark turn.... Here I am waiting for the Hippo paddle boat Navy to come and help with the recovery of these...

25. belair

belair

Call me when the Chevys are biting.

26. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

How do you summon them anyway? A hippo light in the night sky? Say a magic incantation? I floated a '36 ford rear end a mile on three inner tubes, but if I had hippo paddle boat help, I could have gotten the whole frame!

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Without meaning to offend, Lewk, do you remember the thread I'm talking about? It was about recovering a Model "A" from 8' or so of water in about '08 or so.... Still one of the funniest things I have ever read.

28. jreeder41

jreeder41

Hippo boat rescue=greatest thread ever....he won the internet

29. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

No offence taken. I may not have thousands of posts, but I read the HAMB. Then I read it some more. Then I search. Then I read some more. There is a ton of knowledge here and I mostly try to absorb without running my mouth much. I may have only registered in 2011, but I first noticed this place around 2002 or 2003, roughly coinciding with the first Billetproof show I attended.

There is a lot of rip-rap along the river banks up here, some of it is 30's Ford and the hippo boat rescue stuck in my head because he floated something out and pulled it off with style. I only made the hippo light in the sky comments because I have a weird sense of humor and was in a strange mood.

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Gotcha! I do kinda like the hippo signal. It needs to flash where there is aquatic tin to be saved...

lewk likes this.