Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Canadian Selling a Hot Rod To a U.S. Resident

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hyway Hauler, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Here is the deal.
    I live in Ontario Canada.

I listed my truck here in the classifieds. A gentleman contacted me from Missouri. He wants to send me a cheque in the mail, and once I cash it and it clears, he wants ME to figure out how to get it to him. He doesn't have a Passport, so he can't even cross the boarder.

I've been Googling and Googling, and find tons of info on importing from the U.S. to Canada, but very little info on importing from Canada to the U.S.

I'm sure somebody has done this. Any insight on this?

My truck is a 1931 Chevrolet Pickup, with a SBC. Truck has a clean ownership. It doesn't run, and needs to be trailered.

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Seriously, find another buyer.
    This sounds far too risky to me.
    So many scams going around these days.

3. How much did you sell it for?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

I know about the scams...They're usually Paypal or Western Union. This guy wants to send a Certified Cheque, and I do nothing until the money is 100% in my account. How can he scam me? I will then have the cash and the truck. He is the one assuming all the risk.

loudbang likes this.

5. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

We agreed on 9000$ CAD....About 8150$ USD.

6. The truck is old enough it does not fall under emissions laws for entry into the USA-so no compliance issues-I believe it is one declaration form to fill out on entry-not sure if the ownership has to be sent ahead of time for title search by US or not

7. roundvalley

roundvalley

He sends you a check and you wait for it to clear, the money is in your hands, before you trailer it over the border to the U.S. I don't think I would be looking for another buyer. Get a Hamber to check him out in Missouri. I don't see scam here.

8. So you are willing to arrange transport? Just wondering if it's worth the trouble.

9. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

I am willing to arrange transport, maybe even cross it myself. As long as he pays the transportation costs. I just don't know how to do it. I don't even know how to get in touch with the boarder...I would be crossing in Sault St-Marie Ontario, into Sault Michigan.

10. Exerpt from the link above-READ-"
    "QUOTE-EPA has a detailed automotive fact manual describing emission requirements for imported vehicles. You may obtain a copy of this manual, called the Automotive Imports Facts Manual, or other information about importing motor vehicles by calling EPA's Imports Hotline at (734) 214-4100. You may also communicate by fax at (734) 214-4676, or write to:
    U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
    Ariel Rios Building, Manufacturer Operations Division (6405-J)
    Investigation/Import Section
    1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
    Washington, D.C. 20460
    EPA's page on Importing Vehicles and Engines contains additional information.
    You may reach DOT's vehicle hotline at (202) 366-5291 or communicate by fax at (202) 366-1024. UNQUOTE"

11. Join the HAMB Alliance

Sell to a fellow Alliance member

If you are using the HAMB for commerce - that is your best protection.

Aside from that - never sell transport along with the car.

It makes you responsible for the condition of the car after it leaves
    your care - bad idea ....

Have the Buyer arrange transport - that is their responsibility - not yours.

Jim

12. 1927Tudor

1927Tudor

Have to agree mate. Find another buyer.

13. I'm just trying to imagine sending almost 10 g's to someone in a country I can't enter and hope he brings me a car one day. Really??

14. phat rat

phat rat

Certified check can be canceled. Have him either wire it to your bank or send international postal money orders

metlmunchr likes this.
  15. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

The buyer should arrange transport. I have sold vintage cars to US residents and it was their responsibility to pick the car up and take it over the border. As long as the title goes with the car, it is not a big deal.

16. Keep

Keep

Get a deposit, set a date and time, meet him at the border. Tell him to bring cash. Certified checks will not clear for around 6 weeks, at any time your bank can take that money back, even if they confirm with the other bank it is legit. There are stories all over about folks getting the okay from BOTH banks, only to have it come back 5 weeks later as a fraud.

***Edited to remove incorrect info, see Roddin-shack's post below***

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  17. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I totally agree with Keep above.

18. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Sorry KEEP, you are wrong. If the seller takes the truck over the border he only deals with USA customs and they deem it to be a commercial venture and therefore the paper work must be done by a Broker. If the purchaser comes to get it and upon return he has to notify USA customs and they make out the necessary paperwork at no cost to the purchaser he then takes the document along with the title to his state DOT and pays the taxes there. At no time do you have to deal with Canada Customs.

I have sold many cars to our friends in the USA and they always make arrangements for the pick up and transportation. Hope this helps. Larry

Keep likes this.
  19. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

From the OP's first post: "He doesn't have a Passport, so he can't even cross the boarder." I don't believe an American citizen needs a passport to cross the border into Canada, as long as (s)he is entering as a tourist. Normal ID should be sufficient, like a Driver's License. Or am I completely wrong?

20. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The rules have changed. You now need a Passport.

21. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I would only take payment via a bank transfer, last I heard you must have a passport Lucas.
    Where in Missouri is this buyer? I live in the central western part, I may know him.

22. NEVER EVER EVER TAKE ANYTHING BUT CASH OR A BANK TO BANK TRANSFER AND EVEN THAT TAKES TIME TO CLEAR.

23. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

How about an International Money Order?

24. Gman0046

Gman0046

ss34coupe, has it right. I bought a car registered in Canada at a US car show from a Canadian citizen. I payed in cash, had a bill of sale and properly signed Canadian documents. The problem was I couldn't register the car in the US as I had no US Customs documentation for the importation of the car. The first US Customs agent I talked to said I had to return the car to Canada and get the necessary documents from US Customs at the border crossing. I knew that wasn't going to happen as Canada is over 800 miles away. After several phone calls to Customs it was determined I could take the car to a US Customs office at an International Airport not too far from my home. They inspected the car and I received the proper documents to register the car. I seriously don't know what I would have done if a Customs office wasn't close by. It really would have gotten interesting driving a long distance with no Tags, Registration or Title. Not sure how my insurance company would have looked at that. Probably would have needed to trailer the car. The good news was I didn't have to pay any duty. The car I bought was also originally built in the US not Canada. Asking the Canadian seller to bring the car across the border creates exactly the same situation that I had. A US buyer needs the Customs documentation received at the border crossing, period. Additionally the Canadian seller creates a problem for himself returning to Canada with a large sum of money on which they may have to pay tax on. The best thing for a Canadian seller is to sell the car in Canada then the border crossing becomes the responsibility of the buyer.
    A passport IS necessary to cross the US/Canadian border.
    If I was the Canadian seller I'd look for another buyer. Unless the importation is done properly you could wind up with an expensive Parts Car that you can't register.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  25. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Sell it to someone in Canada. Problem solved....

geoff971 likes this.
  26. You are completely wrong. That changed a few years ago.

It should be up to the buyer to figure out transport. The border is easy, you only have to deal with US customs so do your homework on their site and make sure your paperwork (title, bill of sale) is in order.

27. US citizens have two options to enter Canada; 1) a valid US passport or 2) an enhanced driver's license if you reside in Michigan, Minnesota, New York, South Dakota, Vermont or Washington.

Charlie

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

No passport necessary on the Southern border. Test it and see...