Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Hah! I thought it was just a duplicate post... ;)

Never noticed the vivisection at all.

2. yonahrr

yonahrr

Tag--you're it!

I tested a bunch of ways to paint the numbers on the plate. You guys had some good suggestions but I was in a hurry so I finally just thinned out some oil paint and brushed it on. I'll hope no one bends down too low to look close. I also mounted the "tag light." I don't know what these lights were used for. I see them on ebay a lot. I thought it'd be a funky tag light. It took some doing to mate it to my brass tag holder but I guess it's okay. After that I started drilling the holes to mount the wood trim beside the boattail. Hey, check out my cell phone charging station.

Jerry

Attached Files:

paperdog likes this.
  3. barnbikes

barnbikes
    from MN

4 days with no update. When will the 48 state tour schedule be posted?

4. He's probably been thrown in the hoosegow for not having proper plates. o_O Maybe he can make himself some new ones while he's there! :rolleyes:

SR100 likes this.
  5. patman

patman

I spotted a flock of Rolls Royce cars while running an errand today... Thought the speedster would be right at home with them!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411446017.501950.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411446047.978521.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411446065.706822.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411446098.191199.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Ulu likes this.
  6. yonahrr

yonahrr

Nice Rollses! Love the pizza pans. I've been going crazy. And no internet last night! Drove the speedster 12 miles. 6 to the show and 6 back. When we started out the thing had no power. I could barely get up a hill. I thought I'd screwed up the rear ratio. After about a mile I realized I had the timing retarded. I pushed it to full advance and the speedster took off. We were going 55 in seconds. It was exhilarating! The front end was pretty stable with only minor corrections. The advance kept falling back so I had to keep my thumb on it. When I saw the entrance to the car show I put on the brakes but they did little at 55 especially with the engine still engaged. The speedster over shot the entrance by a driveway. Note to self--get better rear brakes. A disc conversion is available but I'd really like some enormous drums about 16 or 18 inches in diameter. Hey, the biscuit warmer got up to 350F.

Jerry

Attached Files:

7. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

:eek:
    My heart skipped a beat there...

8. Jerry,

Sounds like the first time I had to panic-stop in my dad's '30 Packard... think I aged 10 years in those 10 seconds :eek::p

Hope to see you Sat!

9. the above picture shows how proudly you are standing there with this enormously glorious bright red thing extending way out from your loins even farther than anyone could have imagined .................. you must be a happy man indeed
    and making those lucky enough to witness it also smile widely..

10. yonahrr

yonahrr

Went to a local cruise in. I thought I had it fixed but the advance is still messed up. Got to adjust the clutch too. I've decided (for the moment) to modify my car carrier to haul the speedster. The speedster is too long by a foot, but if I extend the box in such a way that the door leans back to accommodate the tail, it'll fit with room to spare. I'm going to take the speedster down and weigh it to see if the little Mopar 318 in the truck will handle the load. Any guesses on the weight?

Jerry

Attached Files:

paperdog likes this.
  11. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

6800 lbs.

What do I win? :p

12. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

5,280 lbs. (I may be off by a mile, but it's just a wild ass guess.)o_O

13. barnbikes

barnbikes
    from MN

14. greaser

greaser

15. 1 metric ass-load.

16. with or without the bun in the oven?

17. you could jus cut a hole/trap door in the ramp... like a horse tail hanging out of a horse trailer..

18. barnbikes

barnbikes
    from MN

19. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I'm guessing 294 stone.

20. yonahrr

yonahrr

Hold you guesses. It rained today so no scale. Plus the dog got into a skunk and I had to wash him down. Tomorrow is mostly sunny. I guess 4425 lb. I might be hoping.

Jerry

paperdog likes this.
  21. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Hmmm...mus' be more 'luminum in this beast than I imagined.

Dang engine alone looks like 4000 lbs! :confused:

22. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Cut a BA hole in the door to accommodate the tail so it can stick out. Make it so you can bolt the piece back in when needed.

23. i will not post the picture of me holding my guess

24. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG [QUOTE=". We were going 55 in seconds. It was exhilarating! The front end was pretty stable with only minor corrections. The advance kept falling back so I had to keep my thumb on it. When I saw the entrance to the car show I put on the brakes but they did little at 55 especially with the engine still engaged. The speedster over shot the entrance by a driveway. Note to self--get better rear brakes. A disc conversion is available but I'd really like some enormous drums about 16 or 18 inches in diameter. Hey, the biscuit warmer got up to 350F.

Jerry[/QUOTE]

Jerry,
    Here is a possible solution to the brake deficiency. You might find a little newer Seagrave front axle or this one is available with a lot of iron attached to it, including a spare 1013 cid engine. The mechanical set up could be adapted or more modern hydraulic parts could be mounted on the backing plates.

25. yonahrr

yonahrr

Hey where is that?
    Jerry

26. yonahrr

yonahrr

6000 lbs even!!!!

I had a water leak yesterday. I thought it was the gasket where the lower radiator hose hooks to the water pump. I took it out filed the flanges etc--still leaked! Today I looked and looked. Then I discovered a weep hole on the back-engine side of the water pump. I didn't think water pumps with gland nuts had weep holes. Anyway, I dug out all the packing and repacked the thing. I pumped in some genuine water pump grease, then I headed for the trash station. When I got there water was leaking out. The girl there said it cost $2.00 to weigh the speedster but I only had a buck fifty. She said if I took her picture behind the wheel she'd pay the extra fifty cents. No problem. Just as I got back I ran out of gas. So that's a 12 mile trip to the car show. 4 miles to the cruise in. 8 mile trip to the trash station. That's 24 miles on 12 gallons of gas.
    2 miles per gallon!! The guy was right. Hey, a 1000 cid is thirsty. I need a bigger tank.

Jerry

Maybe someone can blow up that weight slip.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    MrModelT and paperdog like this.
  27. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

Right now it is in front of my barn.

Jack

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
  28. It almost looks like you've put reflective tint film on the windshield in that picture. As a result, sadly, the pretty young girl is partly obscured by clouds. I need to become your official photographer. Bring the Speedster up to the Newport Hill Climb this weekend and we'll have the ladies lining up down the street to have their picture taken behind the wheel! :cool:

If you can get your spark advance working right I'll bet you can get her up to 3 MPG. :rolleyes: