Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. OldColt

OldColt

It's my understanding that Gene Fulton built the Willy's to mainly compete in the Southeastern Gassers Group. When he brought the newly finished car to a Southeastern Gassers meet, it was not allowed to race with the group because it did not fully comply with the rules. I suppose he has decided to sell the car rather than make the necessary changes to make it legal to race with them.

--- Steve ---

2. Steve's right,Mr. Fulton had a copy of the rules but chose to ignore them and build the car his way. HRP

loudbang likes this.
  3. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

There were many things on the car that didn't meet the SEG rules, Gene Fulton doesn't own the car now. He sold it to a SEG member who has also sold it. The car has ZERO race history

4. OldColt

OldColt

Sounds like the changes needed to run with SEGA may have been too extensive and expensive.

--- Steve ---

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  5. no1nitrofreak

no1nitrofreak

We drove 144 miles down there and enjoyed the trip. Gene told me if I wanted a good hamburger to get one from the track because they were very good. We did and it was. Thanks Gene!

OldColt and Frank Taylor like this.
  6. OldColt

OldColt

Thread is pretty quiet since the Ware Shoals rain out.
    Hey Frank, did Gene get his new crankshaft yet?

--- Steve ---

7. OldColt

OldColt

Dog Patch ... I've been following your build thread. Looks like that ole' 39 Dodge and 392 Hemi are coming together great, Nice Looking Work, and a unique combination to contribute the group! I'm sure you can't wait to get it on the track with the other SouthEastern Gassers. BTW, I know Gene is a really nice guy, but don't expect him to cut you any slack when you have to line up beside him ... LOL.

--- Steve ---

Dog_Patch likes this.
  8. I stopped by Genes yesterday and Ruth was looking at Greg's truck,she told us Gene and Melvin were out gallivanting around so Greg and I sweet talked Ruth into a photo op...She is such a trooper! :) HRP

10338703_912561278774059_659171823729143101_n.jpg

New box in the bed of the 40 pickup.

10488129_869075356455985_1771438658933577446_n.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  9. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Not yet, he checked and it will be mid October before he gets the crank.

10. Ruth is a real gem. One sweet lady super photo op. box is definitely a nice touch. wish they are not still around

loudbang likes this.
  11. OldColt

OldColt

Danny ... is that box for show, or for real? Are you allowed to say? LOL

--- Steve ---

12. Steve,that's just some of Greg's thinking outside of the box,,:D

He had a local woodworker make it to have a place for storage,then he used a router to cut Holman-Moody/Gene's speed shop to make it look like some fresh parts in the back . HRP

13. unfortunately Holman and Moody have been out of business for years. Gene had a key to the back door years ago

14. Hellava craftsman fits the truck

15. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Holman-Moody is still in business in Charlotte, NC. http://www.holmanmoody.com/index.html

16. They always have a booth set up at Mason's Rod Shop when we attend the toy drive. HRP

17. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Yes Steve the Snake bite Mustang was built just to run with South East Gassers. He missed the style we like on his wheelie bar but we are going to let him run until he gets it fixed since that's his only problem. We will work with the racers on real SMALL things as long as we don't think it's intentional.

18. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Steve the Knoxville is not going to be run this year. We couldn't get together on a date that would work for the track and the racers. The rain out for the Ware Shoals race will be the 27th.

19. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Don't forget the South East Gassers will be at Ware Shoals Dragway this Saturday September 27th. Gene Cromer will be with that wheel standing Willys

20. I should have phrased that differently not at the level and as they were know for in the hay days of ford racing. I meet there reps at carlise a few years ago promoting reproduction parts and restorations and I think special edition cars. Holman and Moody were the holy grail of fe power

Frank Taylor likes this.
  21. Darn! I'm gonna miss this one,Brenda is in the process of moving her Flower Shop and I am a indentured servant for the next few weeks along with my pickup truck. o_O HRP

22. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Come on Hot Rod it's in your back door, Come out for just an hour or so it don't start until around 5

23. Thanks Steve for the props on the build! Please let me know when something is not being built correct. As for lining up with Gene - he would school me on how its done real quick. :eek: blink and school is out! Besides now that he has whatever was in that wooden box, the ol 392 doesn't stand a chance :oops:

24. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Here's a few pics to let y'all know what's happening with the build of the "good engine". Gene's been busy ordering parts and working on some odds and ends on the engine. Here he is cutting the intake, cleaning up the block, and making the oil pan. He has a lot of the parts now, waiting on the crank is the big thing now. DSC04181 - Copy.JPG DSC04280 - Copy.JPG DSC04285 - Copy.JPG DSC04290 - Copy.JPG DSC04293 - Copy.JPG DSC04295 - Copy.JPG DSC04296 - Copy.JPG

BHoover, Merlin, FlynBrian and 2 others like this.
  25. Looks like Gregs been painting outside the box too! :)

26. Frank don't mean nothing by it.. but you keep referring to it as the good engine. most people would like to have a bad engine that goes 9 86. I know what he is building it will be the better engine. Next winter maybe the cammer. Look out competition next year. thanks for the pictures

27. CGkidd

CGkidd

Awesome looking work on the block. Love the oil pan.

28. sbs

sbs

Gene has stated in the past that a well built tunnel port runs better on gasoline than a Cammer. The engine that he is building is a tunnel port. The Cammers run better on nitro methanol.

29. Cammers are cool but if you want to go fast with a FE nowadays a wedge is the way to go. Love the photos of Mr. Cromer working his magic. He looks 10 years younger then he did when this entire deal started!!!

30. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Man what great pics of Gene working his magic. Need a deep sump oilpan, build it, Awesome! Thanks for the updates Frank.

Dog_Patch and Frank Taylor like this.