Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hidden Tunes Via An Ipod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 10, 2011.

1. bomcadillac

bomcadillac
    from Las Vegas

You can plug the same cassette jack from your disc man probably. That's what I use in my daily driver

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. RatPin

RatPin

I think I'l just go with the 3.5 jack to RCA for now. May change it down the road as charging would be nice, I just wish PAC made a adapter with a feature to skip back or forward tracks.

3. nooch

nooch

Great post, I finally got around to setting this up in the parcel shelf of my rod. I hooked it up to the accessories and it works great BUT as soon as I start the car the amp stops playing music, just has this high squealing, whining sound! It doesn't get hot but seems to get worse when I hit the gas.
    Any ideas what would be causing this? I notice my turn signals flash faster when I hit the gas too - I think its probably related but am clueless when it comes to electrical stuff. I also wondered whether the amp was picking up RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) from the spark plug wires, I run the uncovered wire ends from the Hot Rod Company.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  4. haychrishay

haychrishay

Well thanks Ryan for the idea. I've been pondering doing this for over a year now and finally got around to it tonight. I was going to get rid of my tissue holder but then I decided it would be a good place to hide the amp, Ipod plug in, and volume control button. Here are some pictures

Attached Files:

• 024.JPG
      024.JPG
      File size:
      135.3 KB
      Views:
    • 025.JPG
      025.JPG
      File size:
      154.1 KB
      Views:
    • 026.JPG
      026.JPG
      File size:
      105.8 KB
      Views:
    • 027.JPG
      027.JPG
      File size:
      88.1 KB
      Views:
    daddio211 likes this.
  5. Drive Em

Drive Em

I did this install on my '63 Ranchero this week, and I must say that it works awesome. I used a 4 channel amp as I wanted to install a couple of more speakers. My son plugs in his IPad and watches movies using the same IS75 cord. Elf never sounded so good!! The 3.5mm plug that comes with the IS75 cord will also plug right in to any smart phone that has that jack on it, and you can play music from your phone as well.

6. rfraze

rfraze

Thanks for the great input. How about routing the wire so that it comes out between the cushions? Wiring guy

7. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I installed this system about 5 years ago
    Now years later I am putting one in my C-10
    I researched this topic and there still isn't a better way to do this.
    I looked at all of the motorcycle/atv amps but they are all very limited in their power and get horrible reviews so I went back to Ryan's plan with a high quality amp built for one purpose- clean amplification.

Controls may have gotten better though- isimple now has the IS76PRO- that has a small remote if you care about that.
    Volume is still separate with the LC-1 but that it easy enough to dash mount - almost everybody has a lighter that can be removed an replaced with the volume knob.

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

Look into the D class amps. They are pretty small. That's what I have slated for the Tribute truck.

9. frdsuperduty

frdsuperduty
    from Lewes De

I did pretty much the same thing in my 40.See November/ 14 Street Rodder.

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

With the IS76Pro, do you still need the volume control?

11. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

Has it already been covered in this thread....what if I have an Android phone? I have the iPod which this thread thoroughly addresses....but I have the Spotify app on my Android phone. How can I use the same infrastructure and maybe just swap a cable to have the same functionality?

12. stan65

stan65
    from Toledo, IL

Ok, I didn't read thru all the posts, but this is what I did.
    I wanted to be able to connect many different devices to my car. I went Bluetooth.
    I used the same amp and speaker configurations discusses earlier and added this from crutchfield

Milennia MIL-BTREC
    Bluetooth® adapter

It works great! Can stream pandora, and use mapquest over the car radio!
    Also when I get a call the music mutes and my ringtone goes over the car speakers.

Have fun,
    Stan

13. KFC

KFC
    from UK

Did anyone ever successfully solve this with 6 Volt ??

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

Stan, that sounds like the ticket. So, does the bluetooth have to be out in the open? Is it a line if sight thing?

15. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That just solved my problem of installing an IPOD and keeping it hidden. Thanks, Ryan !

16. stan65

stan65
    from Toledo, IL

Roothawg,
    Nope no line of sight. I have a little console with cup holders. It has a plug in for the RCA cables and a 12V plug. I Have the bluetooth antenna and also have the PAC-1 Volume control discussed earlier in the posts mounted in the console. I can transfer the console between my 32 5W, 32 3W and my A (I'm cheap that way!) you could mount it anywhere on the car and you should be OK.

Stan

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

So you still need the remote volume? On my Sync in my wife's car, you can control it from the phone I believe.....not sure.

18. stan65

stan65
    from Toledo, IL

Yea I still needed the volume.

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

Either way, it's no big deal. Thanks for the input.

20. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

21. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Out of site Mark I II. III interesting

Attached Files:

22. Yes, I installed a voltage booster from Custom Autosound to get to 12V and then just run an aux cable from my amp to the iphone. I control the volume from my phone and it doesn't charge the phone when its connected.

KFC and daddio211 like this.
  23. KFC

KFC
    from UK

I ended up doing this , retro sounds twin voice coil speaker in original location , Chinese 25w ebay amp, s beefy voltage converter from newzealand inside the original radio, I will also connect the cigarette lighter to it to charge and run sat nav.

The whole set up turns on as the original radio did and lights up, I will set the amp to full and use the volume on my I phone .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

daddio211 and stealthcruiser like this.
  24. Help a dummy out...anyone have a speaker recommendation (running two 6x9's), and what does 2 way, 3 way and 4 way speakers mean? I'm getting ready to do this install in my car but I k ow nothing about stereo stuff .

25. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

A regular single speaker would be the starting point. A "2 way" is two speakers in a single housing. "3 way" is three. Most 6x9 are 2 or 3 way speakers. Not sure I've ever seen a 4 Way.

A big speaker cone moves a lot of air. Good for low frequency sounds. Not so good at high frequency. A little speaker doesn't move much air, so doesn't do low frequency sound well, but can accelerate really fast, so is good at high frequency. A medium sized speaker won't do really high or really low, but is good in the mid range.

So, if you combine all three, in a convenient 6x9 package, with some electronic bits to filter the sounds to the particular cone that best reproduces them, you get a good sound in a small package.

Beyond that gross oversimplification, speaker choice is like asking what's the best beer. Every answer is right, for the guy answering, but you may or may not end up agreeing.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bigcheese327 likes this.