Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A truck help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JayD, Sep 20, 2014.

1. JayD

JayD

IMG_0726.JPG A lady has this for sale and wants me to make her an offer. I honestly don't know where I want to be price wise. Any help? Think it's a 289, hasn't ran for a while, couldn't get the crank to turn by hand but I think it should run. NO TITLE, got coil overs in the rear, don't know what diff. tilt column. She says it's all there, although I didn't spot any doors and forgot to ask. She's got old registration papers that say '29, but I think it's a 30-31? She's got a bill of sale from some unknown person from eons ago, not assigned to anyone. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. JayD

JayD

More pics

Attached Files:

• aaa.JPG
      aaa.JPG
      File size:
      144.1 KB
      Views:
    • ab.JPG
      ab.JPG
      File size:
      272.2 KB
      Views:
  3. manyolcars

manyolcars

There is no set price like you find in a walmart store. If she accepts $100, go for it. If you are willing to pay $10,000 thats nobodies business

4. 55willys

55willys

I don't see a radiator, grill shell, windshield frame, doors, bed, rear fenders, etc. In order to give a fair price you need to do a basic inventory of parts to know what it will cost to finish it. The parts I listed are expensive plus you will need to have the vehicle inspected and deal with title problem. There is a 29 A for sale in my area that is all there with a new bed and a flathead for $3000 They dropped the price from $5000 and it is not gone yet. Jim

5. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Front and rear suspension set up right and ready to go? Looks like a real nice body. All that's worth money. Wish I had found it. All you need is a bill of sale in Georgia.

6. JayD

JayD

It's got a bed, a set of 'glass front fenders and a set of steel, rear fenders are there as well as a tailgate and a windshield frame. Suspension looks to be set up and ready, transverse front axle and coil overs in the rear. Like I said before, I didn't see doors, but she says it's all there so I assume they are some where. I didn't see a radiator, but the shell doesn't look like it's in very good shape. Probably do a '32 shell anyway. I would like to make her a 'fair' offer, but I want it affordable. Got no idea.

7. JayD

JayD

8. I made an offer on an A truck and it pissed the guy off. He wouldn't give me an idea of what he wanted but wanted to sell. Feel her out with lower numbers to higher numbers. If you don't get it , let me know, I'd like to have an A truck. I'm south of KC and getting ready to go north. Good luck.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

how is anyone supposed to guess at a price with so little to go on? the chassis could be $100.00 worth of junk or it could be $5,000.00 worth of professsionally built good stuff.

10. JayD

JayD

Definitely not a $5000 front end. I think it'll will and has been road worthy, it looks to have 'fresh' (years ago) paint on the frame and suspension. Really wouldn't know until it's dug out. Just a roller with a 289 of unknown condition (did run a couple of years ago). Solid sheet metal from what I could see.

11. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Probably 2000$ worth of parts there if the body is as solid as it looks start there ......good luck!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. One thing for sure,it's not a 28/29...30 or 31. HRP

13. txturbo

txturbo

I bought one of those " its all there" deals. I'm still missing parts. How does she know its all there?

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Well, Hot Rod Primer, it's honestly not ABSOLUTELY a '30-'31... Well, ya it is, but in late twenty nine and early thirty, Ford did a bunch of weird stuff with it's pickups and "AA" trucks in the name of using stuff up. Granted, it was mostly on the big truck line, but who's to say that this wasn't on a big truck chassis and put on the light truck/ passenger chassis. I have personally seen a '30/31 cab, with '28-'29 grill shell and a hood that even as weird as it would have to be, was on an original paint, low mileage truck. I bought lunch on a bet on that one, after the owner showed some documentation. I have also seen pictures of a line of new trucks in one of the old Model "A" handbooks that I have of a row of brand new '30 trucks with '29 style cabs, and a weird hood that went slightly up hill to a '30 type grill shell. I have learned with Model "A" trucks over the years to never take registered year at face value. Granted, that's an out side chance, but it is possible.

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only hitch in A pickup years is the use of the 29 style into 1930. Once all used up the majority became the 30-31 we're all familiar with. True enough, there's some oddball stuff out there in commercial vehicles but this is just a pickup.

Back on topic, lots of parts with a decent cab. Suspension of unknown quality and a motor that's the same way. Stuffin Ford small blocks in a Model A usually meant some firewall surgery that bordered on undesireable. Consider it as a parts truck since you'll no doubt go way back to square 1. All of that said, and be sincere and have $$$ in hand, offer her something in the 2s. $2250, $2500 maybe? The glass front fenders are a negative and good 30-31 fronts are pricey. The new steel ones need a lot of massaging to get em to fit right. All the box wood and metal for the deck will run you $300 from Snyders. I'm not wild about the tank being used as an instrument panel but you're not buyin for me so... Hey, good luck. It has potential.

16. what Highlander said....

17. JayD

JayD

Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking in the $2500 range myself. Guess I'll approach her with that and see where it leads. Thanks again.

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

before you make any offer closely inventory parts, especially doors. rear suspension looks unusual.