Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Buick Super Duper Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sfeldma, Apr 11, 2012.

1. sfeldma

sfeldma

The 605 saginaw power steering box just fits behind the fender/lower valance. That's a relief. Lonnie cut a bottom corner from the radiator surround and flipped it around to clear the steering box. Had to fabricate a center mount off the front cross member to take the fender load.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sfeldma

sfeldma

Lonnie rebuilt the bottom 4" of the doors. Totally rotten before, good as new now.

[​IMG]

Original steering column and brake assembly.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  3. sfeldma

sfeldma

The car came with no seats, but the awesome old car yard up in Vancouver, WA had a 40 Super Coupe just like mine with a great front seat (it's all relative!).

[​IMG]

Unbelievable how heavy that seat it. Half the seat is constructed with Oak, and the Oak looks brand new when you flip it over. The backs of the seats are formed with Oak and then upholstered over. What's Napa leather? I keep hearing that in Chrysler/Jeep commercials (like the old Corinthian leather). Anyway, I'm imagining my seat redone in leather, mid-to-dark brown or burgundy.

4. sfeldma

sfeldma

The car came with no seats, but the awesome old car yard up in Vancouver, WA had a 40 Super Coupe just like mine with a great front seat (it's all relative!).

[​IMG]

Unbelievable how heavy that seat it. Half the seat is constructed with Oak, and the Oak looks brand new when you flip it over. The backs of the seats are formed with Oak and then upholstered over. What's Napa leather? I keep hearing that in Chrysler/Jeep commercials (like the old Corinthian leather). Anyway, I'm imagining my seat redone in leather, mid-to-dark brown or burgundy.

5. sfeldma

sfeldma

Ya, sorry, new 350 crate motor is not so HAMB friendly; maybe it's final or maybe I'll use it for another project. Haven't decided yet. Had to get something in there so we can work around it to make sure we have no clearance issues.

[​IMG]

6. ausbuick

ausbuick

She's lookin good dude.
    Cheers Darren

7. sfeldma

sfeldma

Lonnie installed a jet engine in the back.

[​IMG]

8. sfeldma

sfeldma

Well, he made it removable, lucky for me. He builds these dragster jet engines in his spare time. Had the shell of one laying around and stuck it in my trunk.

More progress: got lowering spindles on and cut down front springs so now front is about right. Front clip sheet metal mods: round out bottom of fenders where they used to merge into running board, delete turn signal hump on top of headlight, delete hood latch. Not sure how we're going work the hood now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. sfeldma

sfeldma

Needs a chop! Need the guts to chop it! I'm thinking 3" in front and whatever looks good in back. It's too top-heavy now. Hard top would be really cool.

10. SwedeVedette

SwedeVedette

Nice car and good job your doing to it! I say chop it, would look really Good.

11. Looking awesome, but please please please ditch the 350 - 401 nailhead anyone????? :)

12. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

any pictures of the rear set up?

13. I took these photos of a buddy's 40 Pontiac [big Buick body series 29] after we dragged it home to Omaha. He decided it was a bit much and sold it off to another buddy who made a nice car out of it.
    It looks overchopped in the photos but after it was finished, it had great proportions....ran a 350 Pontiac/350 turbo

Attached Files:

14. Downtime

Downtime

I love watching what you do, it helps me think through my coupe.

15. Any updates ????

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

16. Kingrudy1

Kingrudy1

If you are going to chop the top and don't need the reveal molding around the front passenger and drivers side windows, I would be very interested.

Thanks,

Mike

17. EDUARDO

EDUARDO

yo estoy haciendo la adaptacion de un diferencial de chevy nova 1978 a mi buick 1940 podrias mandarme fotos de tu trabajo para ayudarme gracias

18. Wtf ??

19. ausbuick

ausbuick

Yep same

20. Google translator:I'm making a differential adaptation nova 1978 chevy my 1940 buick pictures you could send your work to help me thanks

21. mtnxtreme

mtnxtreme

I was hoping you might have some too, doing a 40 Pontiac Coupe and like the stance, would like to not have to C notch my frame, I have a 9" Ford rear for it but was wondering whats the ultimate width for biggest tire, I'm going with 16 or 17" wheels, don't know tire size yet want a somewhat low profile look but not totally rubber bands.

22. EDUARDO

EDUARDO

Muy buena tu restauracion me gusta estoy fabricando un buick 1940 serie 50 y me gustaria que me ayudaras por favor, me puedes mandar fotos de tu proyecto para darme ideas de como hacer el mio muchas gracias

23. historynw

historynw

Too bad Fotki lost most of your photos on their move to some "stan" or "stonia"

24. ausbuick

ausbuick

Say what!!!!

25. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Only did this 'cause I'm bored! Not to be a dick but it should've been in English.
    "Very good your restoration like I'm producing a 1940 buick series 50 and I would like you to help me please, I can send photos of your project to give me ideas on how to make my many g"

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

26. sfeldma

sfeldma

More photo updates

Had to redo roll pan. '39 chevy gas tank seems to fit nicely.
    [​IMG]
    Start welding rear fenders on to body.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Meanwhile getting chassis ready
    [​IMG]

27. sfeldma

sfeldma

Making it smooth
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. sfeldma

sfeldma

Door swung open when turning body on rotisserie and messed up the lower hinge...need to fix.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. sfeldma

sfeldma

I'm waiting on the rebuild of the 200-4r transmission with goodies from bow tie overdrive. Everything else in chassis is routed and ready for startup. Just need the tranny back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. Sheesh.....that's a pretty nice looking build going. Still thinking choppity chop chop on the lid? Or is that a mute point at the moment? Just being devil's advocate. I love to hear the snarl of tools and the crashing of metal resulting into some cool ass shit. You of course, have a had start on most of that.