Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1950 Ford Overdrive Complete Overhaul Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cruiserbuddy, Sep 19, 2014.

1. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

Hi, I am back again. Currently I am overhaulin the Borg Warner R10 Overdrive of my 1950 Ford. Its all disassembled so far. The only thing is the drive shaft in the overdrive case. I cant get it out to replace the bearing. Through the govenor hole I can see a securing ring but I cannot get it out. Is there a special tooling? Every help is appreciated.

2. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

Thanks,but sorry,didnt help....

3. Check with Mac Van Pelt.

4. alittle1

alittle1

5. 42merc

42merc

The snap ring you are looking at has nothing to do with the drive shaft.
    Drive shaft should slip out of the trans, maybe hit the yoke with a dead blow hammer.

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

There's a soft plug in the top ... knock it out & there's your snap ring.

7. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Hi, this is my first night on the hamb and 302 GMC is right once plug on top is out you can release the snap ring leaving it put in the tail housing and the assembly will slide right out. Just finished up Saginaw 4 Speed with R10 overdrive. Good Luck!

8. oldsman41

oldsman41

google is your friend on this type in borg warner overdrive and alot of stuff pops up add rebuild to the phrase and you get pics and tutorials also. van pelts also has a lot of info.

9. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

OKAY. OKAY. Now here is the problem......I removed the topcover yesterday. The Housing was coverd with a thick layer of paint. And mud. So I didnt see the little sealing paper. It covered the access to the ring. But instead of being curious and asking: What the h...is that good for?, I ignored it. The problem is always between the ears.........My excuse is,that it ismy first overdrive. A lame excuse. But at least it is one.....THEN YOU GUYS FROM THE HAMB CAME IN. AND YOU GUYS RULE, THE SHAFT IS OUT!!!!! BIGGEST THANKS!!!!!!!!!!