Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Technical post of Ford axle interchanges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whiskeyridgeracer, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Is there a post anywhere that lists what axles fit with what spindles and what brakes as far as mixing matching early Ford parts. I.E. front axles, spindles, brakes and drums. 5x5.5 and wide five drums?

The same goes for early Ford rears, what axles work with drums with a list of years and such?

Dennis

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

I can't answer but I second the request.....would be VERRY informative!

3. 117harv

117harv

All spindles from 28-48 will fit any car or light truck axle of the same years. All king pins are the same dia. but the shape and thrust bearing location is different. 37 and up the thrust bearing is below the spindle, 36- down it is on top. All the 39-48 juice brakes will fit all spindles, however you will need a spacer ring for 28-36 spindles as the register area that locates the backing plate is abit smaller. Also the four bolts have a smaller spacing, so the backing plate holes need o be enlarged.

Banjo rears, all axle tapers are the same, axle lengths and spider gear tooth count differs. All juice brakes from 39-48 will interchange, using them on model A rears they need to be run upside down, or clocked foreward or backwards as the spring mounts and wheel cylinders hit.

35 spindles take 35 drums only as do 36 wide 5's, 35 and 36 spindles look very similar but the 36 is about 1/2" longer. 37-39 wide 5 drums, even though 37 and 38 were mech., cable actuated will work with all the later juice brakes. 35 was the first year for cross steer, before all were side or traditional if you like.

4. That's some good info,thanx.

5. Thank you harv.