Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Packard Trans to Ford torque tube

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gray, Sep 16, 2014.

1. gray

gray

Anyone out there ever been involved in adapting an early Packard trans to a Ford torque tube? I'm planning to build a mid 40's style '27 T roadster with a flathead and a Packard trans. I would really like to keep the torque tube if I can. The Packard tranny is a 1937 top shift. I was hoping I could also keep the original K-member in the '32 frame I'll be using and tie the whole Packard torque tube adaptation together at the K-member. I know it will require some mods and machining but any info. on the topic would be appreciated. Anybody know of a capable machine shop that could help?
    Craig

2. 55willys

55willys

Have not done that but I would tackle the problem with a tape measure and a drawing with measurements. Jim

3. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

hrm195507p1.jpg hrm195507p2.jpg hrm195507p3.jpg hrm195507p4.jpg

Althought this article is for Packards into a Chev torque tube, the outer torque-tube from a Ford and a Chev are interchangeable.

What you'll need to do is determine if the output shaft of the Packard can be machined to take a ford universal - I do not have my stuff here in order to measure

falcongeorge likes this.
  4. gray

gray

Great info. Stovebolt. If I decide to tackle this I will keep ya'll posted.

Stovebolt likes this.

5. alchemy

alchemy

I love the caption with the "$10 resplining job". Find a shop that will even look at that for under a hundred now.

falcongeorge likes this.
  6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Its more of a wonder that the splines held up with what they had for weld back then...I get a charge out of some of the machining charges from a place like Cook's way back when..

7. 'Mo

'Mo

Bookmarked.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Great article! I love to see (and recall) how things were done when there wasn't the huge variety of bolt in parts available that we have come to take for granted in the last few decades Thanks for posting

All that "cheap" machine work back then was just about the same as today when compared to wages of the period. Lots of people in 1955 working for $2.00 an hour.......

"everything is relative". :)

Ray

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  9. newjersm3

newjersm3

Just measured a friends packard to torque tube trans with the adapter and it is approx. 2 inch longer then a 39 trans.