Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. barnbikes

barnbikes
    from MN

paperdog likes this.
  2. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Yak?
    Hmmm...
    Yak hair upholstery.....?
    This place is giving me crazy ideas.

3. very nice pictures from that show
    your doing a fine job
    carry on

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  4. Some great glamour shots at the Caffeine and Octane show. Nice detail shot of the pizza oven! You didn't run over any of them funny little furrin' cars, didya? :oops:

5. yonahrr

yonahrr

Wow! Those were some nice shots! You can see how early people get there. A lot of those photos were taken before sunrise. I trying to get the license plate, holder and light in place so I can terrorize the town. A traveling monk stole my phone cord so no pictures.

Jerry

6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

The Seagrave takes a good picture Jerry. It would be fun to get some pictures of it parked next to a T-Speedster sometime.o_O

7. Hmmm.... "The Mystery Of The Travelling Monk And The Missing Phone Cord." :confused:

This sounds like a job for Clutch Cargo and The Biggest Yak In TV! :D

8. patman

patman

Borrowed from the C and O thread above:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MrModelT likes this.
  9. patman

patman

That David guy's camera kicks your camera's ass Jerry...

10. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

If I had not been following this thread from the beginning, I would have thought this was professionally built!:rolleyes:

Great pictures on one of my favorite threads and of one of my favorite builds on the HAMB!

11. yonahrr

yonahrr

Ha! My camera's a phone. "I would have thought this was professionally built!:rolleyes:" Hey Thanks! Wait--was that a compliment? :) I worked on the license plate today. GA allows you to substitute a GA tag for the year of the car so I'll be able to run the '23 tag on the speedster. But early GA license plates are very expensive so I won't tell you where I got this one. Tomorrow it should be ready to paint the numbers. I did a 1914 GA tag by painting the whole thing white, then painting over it black, then sanding the black off over the numbers and exposing the white. The results were good but it took forever. I'm not doing this one that way. I'm going to tape off the numbers and spray bomb it. I baked the paint onto the hubcap expecting a big change, but there was no change at all that I could see. So presumably the paint is now baked on and impervious to everything.

Jerry

I turned those first two pics, how did they turn back?

Attached Files:

paperdog likes this.
  12. when i paint a license plate i spray the number color first let it dry over night. then spray the back ground color and immediately flip it over onto a shop rag/towel that is laid flat on the work bench. push down firmly, it should take all the paint off the high spots.
    ps you end up with a rag with your tag number on it:D

13. Brayer like the prisoners would have used...surely the craft store is close by

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  14. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

You baked them in the mobile yak roaster? They'll be not only impervious, but they'll smell good too!

15. JIMSPSYCLESHOP

JIMSPSYCLESHOP

Yep' Ole Speedster #3. I think the Clutch Cargo Speedster is on permanent display at the Petersen Museum in California, if memory serves.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

It is amazing to see the entire vehicle in those large photos. You've really done an incredible job.

17. 09072014_CandO-150_zps180f673c.jpg lowered lites.jpg i just had to see if this was okay

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    Ulu likes this.
  18. dadseh

dadseh

Not to hijack your thread but.... licence plates, I have had good success with this method of painting....
    1. Spray number colour first
    2. Coat with clear....dry hard
    3. Spray on background colour to touch dry.
    4. Using cue-tip cotton buds dipped in thinners, rub the background colour off the letters/numbers before the paint is hard dry. The clear coat stops the letter colour from being damaged/removed.
    Takes about 15 minutes to rub it off the letters.
    Coat finished plate in clear.

19. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

The light is so perfect on that last photo. It just shows off everything so well.

20. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

The car is so well proportionet, that it looks like a normal sized car.
    Until someone steps in the picture, and then you go WTF.

Then one comes too look closer at the pictures.
    And the little detail,
    (That also is big, pun intended), becoms so clear.
    Well planned, well build and well documented.
    I've been following this along time, and I could'nt keep quiet anymore.

Post a video of it driving, from a dash cam or something like it.
    Could be E-P-I-C!

21. I participate in a Canon camera online forum and another member there also recently posted some photos from the Caffeine & Octane show. I asked him if he'd gotten any shots of the Speedster and he replies that he had. He posted this link to his Flickr page if you want to check out a few more shots :cool:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88372410@N04/

There's some other great shots from the show there as well.

It's a small world, isn't it? Or does it just seem smaller when the Giant Speedster is around? o_O

22. yonahrr

yonahrr

I feel like a giant when I drive the speedster. This makes up for my tiny ego. :) I'm trying to get the speedster ready for a local truck show. It's put on by a great guy who charges nothing but just likes to see truck get together. Of course there's no trophies but then there's no charge either. Super! The show isn't far away so I plan to drive the speedster. This is between you and me but I don't have tag. I do, however have insurance and that's the important thing. If I get pulled over, I'll tell the cop I'm driving farm equipment. I tried to polish up the wheel covers. That was a mess. I used a lamb's wool disc and paint buffing compound. It worked okay but I couldn't get that high gloss I wanted. I tried a buffing compound stick like I use with a rag wheel. It shined better but when I cleaned off the black residue I was back to a dull luster. I really don't want to hand rub these things with Simichrome polish. I put some wax on the wheel covers to keep down the corrosion. After that I worked on the rack over the right rear fender. Very tedious, but it's coming along. After all the wood work is done I'm going to clear everything.

Jerry

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    paperdog likes this.
  23. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

I haven't tried it myself, but have heard of using corn starch as the final polish on aluminum to take the haze off.

24. uhm I took the liberty and lowered the headlite stanchions by photo slight of hand up above did any one notice?

25. the lights look good down low......but the kid is shorter.

paperdog likes this.
  26. patman

patman

Instead of polishing the covers...engine turned? (Holy psychedelic, can you imagine what that would look like rolling along?!?!)

27. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Why would you spend time polishing wheel covers, is it a show boat or a Real speedster, thats mend to be driving wide and oftend?

I wanted to say fast too, but maby that would be a little careless. At least till you get tags. ;-)

28. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Haven't followed the thread in a while but WOW she turned out fantastic!!!! Great Job

29. greaser

greaser

Good proportions and Great craftsmanship!...I love it!

30. yonahrr

yonahrr

uhm I took the liberty and lowered the headlite stanchions by photo slight of hand up above did any one notice?

Hey! It's like the dancing bear no one sees. What? You want me to get out the sawz-all?
    Now put my fender back were it goes! That kid's parents are pissed too. :)

paperdog likes this.