Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Mercury Hardtop build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by slddnmatt, Aug 3, 2014.

1. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

sorry for the double pics, I keep editing it but keep screwing it up somehow...

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

That's ok, it's worth seeing twice :)

3. matt it looks great! congratulations on new baby! what disc setup are you using? what bolt circle? thanks!

4. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Thanks! She's a handful! The disc kit is the ones you see on Ebay, forget the name of the company right now, there out of Anaheim or Fullerton I think it was. Bolt pattern is the stock 5x5-1/2

5. i have seen them. what rearend you running?

6. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

9" out of 61-72 F100

7. I see disc brakes what kind of rotors are added and is their a "hat style" e-brake? more pictures would be great.

8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

We ended up loosing the disc brakes in the rear unfortunately. The center section of the Merc rim hit the calipers and there was no way around it. Pissed me off, when I was told it would fit, and then one hell of a restocking charge so I ended up buying it off the owner to put on my bronco eventually....

9. lil runaway

lil runaway
    from Wisconsin

This all looks quite familiar.

10. Bummer! I have been down that road getting told "yeah it will work" only to discover it doesn't! validates asking questions like i'm 16 still so i don't end up doing it twice because doing it the first time isn't fun on some things!

11. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Matt, what year is your "Bronco"? I've been into the early ones for 30 years and can help if you need info etc! You have helped me and many others here, so speak up

12. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Looks great Matt.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. _justakid_

_justakid_

Wow lots of work! Great job

14. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I haven't salivated like this since I first read the Linda Vaughn thread back in '10. Great work!!

15. Graveyardsaint1

Graveyardsaint1

Kool..

16. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Fantastic workmanship.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

17. jwoods

jwoods
    from lansing

Great thread Matt inspiring to a first time merc builder like myself. I especially like the 49 featured in R and C awhile ago the gray one with red int Great Job sir!

18. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Sorry for being a flake on keeping this updated. Swapped the home computer from one room to another and now it runs slow and screws up a lot when I mess with pics...

Well I give up for the night. Not sure whats happening but I'ts not letting me upload any pics. I'll try again tomorrow..

19. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

craigs50 127.jpg craigs50 135.jpg craigs50 136.jpg craigs50 137.jpg craigs50 138.jpg

Figured out that for whatever reason If I stay idle for a few minutes, the Hamb was logging me out... Here is a few pics of after it came back from paint. I had detailed pics of the grille being made, but I couldn't find them. I believe those were taken with phone that just happen to fall into a drain pan full of tranny fluid...Whoops... Grille is pretty much like the Barris grille using a couple 51 Fords and the bullets.

20. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

craigs 50 119.jpg craigs50 129.jpg craigs50 131.jpg craigs50 132.jpg craigs50 133.jpg craigs 50 117.jpg

Started getting all the trim installed before it got sent off to the upholstery shop. It sucks to make and install everything twice, but sure is nice when you know it will fit with no issues once its been painted..

kidcampbell71 and Asphalt Demon like this.
  21. layedout49

layedout49

Super nice !!

22. Looks awesome Matt! Are you using any sort of weatherstrip along the top edge? If so, what is it from. I also assume the outer garnish is your usual custom made brass pieces and chromed?

23. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Ya Dave there is a flange that some universal U channel stuff i use bumps onto. It's flexible and follows shape well. It look like this. >>> Uo

Yep outer trim is the plated brass

24. Cool. Thanks for the info Matt. Very helpful as I continue collecting tips on hard topping mine one of these days. :)

25. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Time flies by....Here are a few pics. The Merc was going to have AC, so I had to come up with something that looked cool to house the vents and controller

craigs50 139.jpg craigs50 140.jpg ..

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Loaded up the Merc and down it went to Ernie's Auto Interior for a little creature comforts.

photo 1 (44).JPG photo 2 (45).JPG photo 3 (1).JPG photo 5 (13).JPG

kidcampbell71 and ebfabman like this.
  27. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Awesome build!

28. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Nice work Matt ! Looking good.Let's see more of the car please.

29. Very nice work. Do you have a source for dash restoration parts? Like the clear plastic over the gauges? Thanks.

30. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

Wow, black beauty!

[​IMG]