Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical EARLY HEMI 63 Studebaker Hawk

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TXMark, Sep 15, 2014.

1. TXMark

TXMark

Well I've been offline for a while, but I'm back and back working on my 331 hemi w, an A833 o/d going in my Stude. I looks like it might actually happen, I've been collecting parts and info for about three yrs now, changed my mind a dozen times. the Stude 289 developed some problems, the choice was rebuild the 289 or continue with the early Hemi. Hemi specs. 331 bored .060 over 354 heads 392 valves mild street cam. My biggest concern has been clutch throw out, I still haven't figured it all out but I'm confident its do- able. I'll be pullin' the 289 in the next few days and do a trial fit of the Hemi

2. good luck.....post a pic or two....

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

A few decades ago, either in Hot Rod or in the Complete Book of Engine Swapping, or both, there was a ' 59 Lark 2 door with a Chrysler Hemi shoehorned in.

Chrysler Hemis have been put in the Stude Coupes many times over the years and the chassis used on Larks, sedans, coupes and Hawks are all dimensionally the same, except for wheelbase, from '51 thru '64 or so. You shouldn't have too much trouble with it.

I have an engineless '56 Hawk and a few spares early Hemis and have been considering a similar swap. My Hawk has factory power steering, which is a monstrous thing, but with only a minor clearance issue, I test fitted a 390 Cadillac and it will work. The Chryslers I have are disassembled and I have not yet tried that combo to find what interference there is, if any.

But, again, knowing that has been done before I believe you will find it works well.

Best wishes and please post photos as you progress.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Hurst used to make motor mounts for this swap. I put a 331 in a Champ in around 66 or 67. Went pretty well.

5. aircap

aircap

So we're talking about a GT Hawk, I take it?

6. TXMark

TXMark

I have a set of Hurst motor mounts for this swap, I found them on ebay or Hamp classifieds

7. TXMark

TXMark

yes a GT hawk

8. aircap

aircap

OK, cool - I'll be watching. Good luck with it!