Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs help a big dummy, 700r4 tv adjustment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46poncho, Sep 14, 2014.

1. 46poncho

46poncho
    from Indiana

Ok here is a shot of my 66 chevy c10 with 250 6 cylinder 1 barrel carb.i made the bracket for the tv cable from an s10 carb bracket. The tv cable is a lokar cable. I hooked it up as the instructions from lokar said, and just cannot get it right. I thought I burned the trans up, but disconnected the cable and jammed the pedal down and it burned rubber. I dknt want to trash the trans, how do I get the geometry correct and the adjustment?..

Attached Files:

2. txturbo

txturbo

Its hard to tell what is going on in that picture. But for it to work correctly, the geometry has the pull the cable more at first and less with more throttle. Its best to order a universal TV cable kit to install on the carb. There is more to it than just adapting a cable mount. There needs to be a piece attached to the carb that pulls the cable in a non-linear fashion.

3. Keep

Keep

4. there are adapters made for Edelbrock and Holley carbs that change the geometry to allow the TV cable to work correctly. Looking at mine, it seems that the distance from the horizontal centerline of the throttle shaft AND the placement in relation to the vertical centerline are the critical dimensions. I'm sure the angular rotation of the throttle shaft plays into it, too. You might be able to measure up one of these setups and extrapolate the numbers you need to make yours work.

5. Keep

Keep

No need to figure them out:

700R4-2.jpg

6. With the bracket installed the cable should be pulled all the way out when at wide open throttle.MW

7. 46poncho

46poncho
    from Indiana

ok I am trying to make sure I understand this pic correctly, at the closed throttle position, is this the end of the cable or the end of the connector, and at wot is that the end of the cable or is it the end of connector. as the pic shows the end of connector is on 90 degrees from center line of throttle shaft and tv cable, closed throttle (end of cable) appears to be 23 degrees off of the center line!!! thanks

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The index points on the sweep of the cable in that diagram are for the ball-pivot.

When viewed from the side, closed throttle, the center of the ball-pivot is 23º ahead of the pivot being straight-down, at the bottom of the arc.

When at WOT, it the center of the ball-pivot is 55º past straight down.

The entire sweep is 78º.

It is NOT good enough to just have the cable pulled out at WOT.

The rate of pull changes within that arc, making the cable travel non-linear. Getting this right is critical.

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'm hooking a 700R4 to a Q-jet for the first time. This article seems to confirm (sort of) how mine operates; my TV cable is only under spring tension from inside the trans for a partial (somewhere around the last half) of it's travel. From idle to halfway it's under it's up to the carb linkage and gravity to return the cable. That is normal?