Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1965 american 440 rear end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buck Sharp, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Buck Sharp

Buck Sharp
    from nebraska

Is there a sealed bearing to replace the LM67010 timken bearing? If not how does one lube the bearing are you supposed to grease it since there is a seal inside axle housing. I am also looking for brake drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, pinion seal. If all else fails what rear end fits for a replacement i haven't measured anything out to see what does. mine is the little 10 bolt 7 something?. And what is with the new forum arrangement i don't like it, cannot find anything i miss the old one. lol guess i don't like new stuff.

2. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

By your "7 something" comment it sounds like it may be the "6 cyl" rear end (AMC15). I believe the seal you are talking about is outboard of the bearing - so the lube in the rear end will slosh around and lube that bearing - nothing special involved. Wheel cylinders show up on ebay all the time as well as the other parts - if not the usual suspects carry them - Rockauto etc.

3. Buck Sharp

Buck Sharp
    from nebraska

Well my rearend has a seal in the tube also which is really weird to me since its a taper bearing. And our parts store shows both seals one in the tube and other on outside. Dont make since unless u pack the bearing before installng it since with inner seal keeping gear lube out of the bearing. I just thought if there was a sealed bearing it would be alot easier. Im going to measure housing and see if a 9 inch or a 8 3/4 Chrysler will bolt in its place. When the time comes for some power the rear will be done. I hope they make mounts for a v8 to drop in.

Attached Files:

4. Armstrong

Armstrong

I'm pretty sure that car has a closed driveshaft so there is no ez replacement.

5. oldolds

oldolds

I think there may be a grease fitting on the housing to grease them. There was on older Ramblers.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think this ^^^^^^^^^ is the answer. Older Mopars had a similar arrangement, tapered bearing and grease fittings.

Ray

7. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I don't recall the second seal in mine, but it's been so long maybe I just forgot. Why not just grease it and forget it - your front wheel bearings are that way.
    As for replacements - I stuck a 9" Ford in mine for strength and overwhelming parts availability.
    For a true bolt in (R&R style) - you may want to hit up the AMC sites and follow their recommendations. If they're die hards they may suggest the later style AMC rear - personally I'd avoid that - 9" is hard to beat.

I base my comments on the '64 rear end of which I have 2 at the moment. I believe this is the same as your '65 - hard to be sure with out pictures. No grease fittings on mine. It is the "big nut" rear end having the splined pinion shaft protruding from the housing with a big nut that is used to position and secure the rear ujoint. These also have the tapered hubs. Pretty bullet proof behind an anemic 6, but heavily lacking for any motor with some HP.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014