Register now to get rid of these ads!

1926 Morton & Brett OHV Head for 1926 Dodge engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zenndog, Mar 18, 2012.

1. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

Recent pics, a couple weeks old

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Headed to El Mirage for tech inspection this weekend, barring any unforseen problems.

Babyearl likes this.
  2. noboD

noboD

But does it run? HAven't heard anything lately.

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

We are taking it to El Mirage for tech inspection this weekend. It's been 6 years since I ran the roadster with the Plymouth in it. I am not sure it still meets spec. We will worry about running it after that,

4. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

Well it has been a while since we posted. The Morton and Brett head had a crack, got sold, was taken for repair that seemed like it would never happen and Rich decided it was the final straw to a long frustrating although cool project.

He let me talk him into this

I am tired so I am going to throw up the pics and see if you can figure it out.

A new Edelbrock Chrysler Magnum head. Locations of the head holds for the 26 dodge marked with center punches.

[​IMG]

Set up, Drill

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do it fit????......sure it do.....almost

[​IMG]

But wait, I know what to do. Yeah, this will fix everything

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uh.......I think.............

[​IMG]

I'm not PC, I'm greasy.

5. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

Yeah, ok, that's good.

[​IMG]

But wait........something is still missing..........oh, I know

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not PC, I'm greasy.

Babyearl likes this.
  6. iadr

iadr

7. iadr

iadr

Ah.. but your new head has a small crack as well...?

8. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

Still.....I think it should be, oh, I don't know..........welded??

[​IMG]

Zoom forward

[​IMG]

Bonus shot of the spacer before it was welded in place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is all bumpy now. Ok, to the machine shop. Fast forward

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not PC, I'm greasy.

Babyearl likes this.
  9. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

It needed some cleaning up in the holes. But today after some machining.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for the spacer on the intake side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that is where we stand as of today!

I'm not PC, I'm greasy.

Babyearl and loudbang like this.
  10. JEM

JEM

Quite an effort. I'm sure it's a huge improvement over the M&B head.

Y'know, there's probably a market out there (a small, but devoted one...) for Lego Heads. Segmented castings that you mill to length and snap together.

Curious to find out what went on with the M&B head, I know the shop that was doing the welding on it, he turns weird and sometimes very challenging stuff around for me quickly enough (well, he does take the occasional three-week vacation) probably once or more a month average for the past five years.

Jalopnik. dr likes this.
  11. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

Yes, Al Liest. I hope I spelled it right. Rich has known Al for a long time. The M&B is finished but the man who bought it is keeping it with the engine that goes with it. Not sure if he plans to make it run.

I'm not PC, I'm greasy.

12. noboD

noboD

Can't wait to see and hear smoke come out of this.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

What a great reread and update on the new head! Doug whatever happened to the $20.00 MB head that sold at Hershey a few years ago? Has Rich kept track of the hours envolved in modifing the new head? Bob

14. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

Good lord Kid, why would anybody keep track of such a thing?

I'm not PC, I'm greasy.

alchemy likes this.
  15. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

Here is what Rich did yesterday

[​IMG]

I'm not PC, I'm greasy.

16. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

17. bct

bct

nice work, skill and knowledge

18. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

Pretty crafty machine work there.

19. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

Here is today's progress. We worked on drilling the mounting holes for the intake adapter plate.

First Rich marked off where the head bolts were in relation to the ports with red tape

[img width=533 height=400]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn70/zenndog/1926%20Dodge%20Morton%20and%20Brett%20head/C8B176B8-8EEB-4804-B79B-49E64269C8E4_zpsk4yll8ce.jpg[/img]

Then after some discussion we marked and drilled the holes.

[img width=300 height=400]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn70/zenndog/1926%20Dodge%20Morton%20and%20Brett%20head/DC8C76C3-6B27-4F8B-9972-908F12E0512E_zpst1y3br1q.jpg[/img]

[img width=300 height=400]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn70/zenndog/1926%20Dodge%20Morton%20and%20Brett%20head/4FE03C96-B4A3-4F0C-81E2-EAB294326DEA_zpsunu12kdl.jpg[/img]

Rich plans on drilling and tapping the holes in the head tomorrow. We actually drilled the holes in the plate with a #7 drill so the holes in the plate can "guide" the drill for the holes in the head. Once the head is drilled the holes in the plate will be opened up so the 1/4-20 cap screws will fit.

I'm not PC, I'm greasy.

20. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

Sorry about the pictures. I can't figure out how to edit the post on my phone. The links work though. Here they are I'm order.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not PC, I'm greasy.

21. noboD

noboD

Bob, it was $40 and I wish I knew where it got to.

22. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

The word is the the M&B head has been repaired and returned to the new owner. Not sure what his plans are for it. He has the entire motor that goes with it, meaning the original 20's era race motor. It is too bad it didn't work out on Rich's motor.

I'm not PC, I'm greasy.

23. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

Update

Rich drilled the mount holes for the intake setup and did a slick job, as usual, mating the ports to the intake.

We set the adapter plate on the head and clamped it down. Then drilled and tapped one hole at each end of the plate so we could screw it on and drill the rest. As I said before we had drilled the plate with a #7 drill so we could us it as a guide of sorts for drilling the head.

Here are some pics

First two holes drilled and tapped

[​IMG]

Mounting plate to drill the rest of the holes

[​IMG]

Here is a close up of Rich's port matching. He set the plate up and milled the outside of each port at a 17deg angle so the intake transitions to the ports on the head

[​IMG]

More detail of the plate, now fully bolted on. The fitting is the coolant inlet for the head

[​IMG]

Lastly, a little teaser of the intake bolted on. You can see the red tape? That is a head bolt location. The intake will be cut in half to work and the section in the middle will be left long so we can have and extra mounting bolt off the head stud for strength.

[​IMG]

Few more, money shots.....so to speak

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is another part Rich got done. He wanted to make sure you all know that the little spacer in the center is made from material left over from when he made the headers for his V8 Packard project

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is all for now! Enjoy!

I'm not PC, I'm greasy.

loudbang and Babyearl like this.
  24. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, ZD;
    Haven't talked to you for awhile, since the stude head deal. I see you're having more fun than allowed, like usual... :D .
    When you n Rich drilled the new head for the Dodge 4 headbolts, did you have to sleeve the bolt holes, or did you get lucky & drill through solid stoc at each location? I looked but didn't see any evidence of that in the pics. Was wondering what he was going to do to seal the stud nut holes from the coolant pressure. Didn't see any tapers for orings, either. Did I miss it?
    Marcus...

25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If you go back towards the top of the page you can see that I drilled some 1 inch 6061 bar stock 17/32 and they were welded in to the head wherever we went through the water jacket. Fear not. The head has been pressure checked and is tight. Two holes just nick the intake ports and will be sealed with thin walled tubing epoxied in to the hole.

26. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

The head will be dry decked and have its own coolant lines.

We had to make aluminum plugs with new head bolt holes in 6 places. The spacer has two head bolts in it. It was all welded together at one time. The adapter for the intake will have 4 more head bolts that are away from the cylinders on the dodge block. There are two holes that skimmed through the intake ports but still leave enough in our opinion to support the head bolt when tightened. Those will have sleeves epoxied in place to seal the intakes.

If I remember next week I will take some close up shots.

I still think about the stude head. I want to build the set for use but I want to finish this project with Rich. His roadster can't race a V8 unless the frame is redone due to SCTA rules. Otherwise..........

I'm not PC, I'm greasy.

27. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

Oopps, I missed Rich's reply and said exactly what he just said. I may not have posted all the pics.

Here are some pics from when we drilled out the new head bolt locations-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not PC, I'm greasy.

28. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Rich n ZD;
    Thanks. I was looking, guess I saw some of it, but it didn't register. Thanks for pointing it out, & the extra pics. I do so love seeing this type of work. I don't have access to any of the machinery to even start something like this - wants be damned... :D . Hope this one flat-out hauls for you.
    & while I'm asking kinda stupid Q's, since you redrilled holes, any particular reason you didn't add more, for better head gasket sealing? Just rather curious.

On another note, Rich, have you ever considered using a late model something-or-other DOHC, (Ardemia style) & incorporating Larry Widmars' combustion chamber n piston top ideas? AKA: Soft Head. Need the ports, too. I know of a place that makes them (properly licensed from Endyn) in 94mm, w/at least two different pin-heights. Not real cheap, but extremely good quality forged. (Besides going to Endyn.).
    Marcus...

29. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have not seriously considered a DOHC head. This started out as getting the Morton & Brett head running. When that all fell apart I was content leaving it at that. But Zenon wanted to do this with the 318 head so here we are. At least we get to use most of the parts from the M&B short block. New pistons and pushrods should do it.

30. subbed! awesome work and love the pictures, thanks for sharing!