Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Willys Aero trunnions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mark56, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Mark56

Mark56

I'm restoring an early '54 Willys Aero that has the usual worn trunnions. Found some early '52 trunnion kits on rareparts.com. Same trunnion except that the early '52's had a 2 1/2 degree "tilt" on the cross piece where the control arms bolt on. Willys went to a 0 degree trunnion, a perfect 90 degree cross, in mid '52 and kept it that way till early '54.
    I have a factory repair manual but the issue of which way to tilt the cross isn't addressed.
    I'm guessing this might have been a common issue at one time and an old front end guy might know the answer.
    I'd get a set of 0 degree trunnions but have yet to find any. Rareparts say they have 50 of these which is about the same as hearing about buried treasure to an Aero guy. Of course, they're not cheap but they're NOS, and tight.
    Photo is a 2 1/2 degree on the left, 0 degree on the right DSCF7255.JPG

2. What are the alignment spec's for each year ? That might be a clue.

3. Mark56

Mark56

There's just one spec in the factory manual and it doesn't address this issue in the assembly sequence

4. Mark, I'm referring to caster, camber, toe in, etc..

My Motor's , up to '53, shows 0 caster, the angle in that part might give caster. Would that be correct for a '54?
    Motor's also shows an illustration of the trunnion with the cross bolts level horizontal and the lower angled boss pointed to the rear of the car, according to instructions

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

5. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

Mark I have a 52 with an early Olds and my trunnions were bad. I had some made from a block of steel then later found some on Ebay which I purchased for spares. The ones from Ebay are in a box that is from Thompson products #F1248701, they are 2 1/2 degree. The ones installed on my car are 0 degree' from a 53[as I remember]. I have a service manual and it recommends 1 degree positive caster +or - 1/2 degree then it states that + 1/2 degee is preferred. My caster is set around 2 degrees and it goes down the road fine although with the big Olds up front she won't win any road races. Since you want positive caster set the trunnions as such. Looking at your picture the 2 1/2 degree trunnion should be installed on the pass side as you view it from the outside of the car.