Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help with painting candy red on MDF wood board

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D.N.D., Sep 12, 2014.

1. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Do I need a special primer to seal MDF wood board, for painting H.O.K. candy red

Was wondering if I need to use some type of a clear sealer first , for a good base for the sanding primer to stick to?

Thanks, Don

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I would just use regular automotive 2K primer. Sand smooth when dry, and then spray your finish. Remember, your end result will only be a reflection of the base material it's sprayed on. Stu

3. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Stu

I was concerned that the dry wood would suck the moisture out of the primer, then it would not work right for sanding

4. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

No problem. I would make sure that I had no bare spots of MDF showing before spraying the color. A bear spot could possibly leave you with a "ring" or spot that would be different than the primer areas. Stu

5. Lacquer based sanding sealer.....it's kinda like clear primer for wood. You can sand it in minutes, and it's meant to lock the fibers in the wood to keep them from swelling. Not sure you can get it in CA anymore though :-(

6. If you're looking for a really smooth finish with less sanding and prep you might consider finding some MDO board. Very stable and flat, available in different thicknesses and a smooth overlaid surface on one or both sides. Used a lot by sign painters.

7. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Clay

The wood parts are already made as i'am making a faux 20' by 30" wall safe front panel & door, that will be painted Candy Red & Black

The safe parts are polished alum and the whole thing will be trimmed in turned gold leaf and some pin striping

So i'am locked in to painting the MDf stuff, I like the idea of using some sanding sealer first will try to get some here in so-cal

Don

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I used HOK epoxy primer to prep a sign for a sign I made. Worked very well. Sandy easy, too!