Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods drag week 2014

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Apr 27, 2014.

1. getting close. i took the coupe to illinois for a dyno pull. the car was strapped down and ready to go. right before the pull there was a big bolt of lightning from a passing storm. it blew out the dyno computer. so much for that. the new computer is being red labeled for sat. we will see what happens.

2. squirrel

squirrel

wow, not many cars can break a dyno!

Driving mine to a show in Bisbee tomorrow, then I'll change the oil, look things over one last time, and it should be ready to go. Mostly done sorting out and packing stuff. Leaving for Tulsa Thursday morning if all goes well. Hauling Plan II with my 57 Suburban.

bobwop likes this.
  3. I have most every thing loaded. Leaving friday morning. The dyno parts showed up. Fingers crossed.

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Hope to have my chevelle ready for next year.

race-x I sent you a PM I understand you are busy or maybe no interest thanks.

5. sorry salt flats with this new set up on the hamb i didn't know i was getting a message. i did respond back. I'm loaded and leaving tomorrow early am. see you all there.

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I know you are busy I will chat with you after Drag Week (you lucky guys) looks I will be busy getting a 62 ready for the 348 409 digs in Great Bend the end of September.

Good luck and have a safe trip.

7. squirrel

squirrel

Some HAMB cars

1410132806869.jpg

saltflats and swade41 like this.
  8. jerry

jerry

Nice line up!

jerry

9. I'm out. i made it to okl city. as i was exiting the freeway to get to my hotel the engine stuck a exhaust valve and stuck two intake rockers. a adjuster tip went through the valve cover. I'm home now and it should be running again next week. I'm changing over to a titan oil pump. water temp was 210 pulling a trailer for six hours. the oil was so hot and thin at idle the pressure was down to 15 lbs. i had 50wt oil in it. the titan will will hold steady at 75lbs. with volume come pressure.

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well that sucks.

11. RmK57

RmK57

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410492552.563664.jpg

Guy from my neck of the woods, Vancouver

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

loudbang likes this.
  12. mmiceli

mmiceli
    from Aurora, Il

13. mmiceli

mmiceli
    from Aurora, Il

Hey Brian. Take a look at Dragzine.com. Topeka coverage has a great photo with wheels up under the headline. Scroll down to thumb nails for a better view. Talk to you soon. Mark

14. Thanks. Found it. Thats a shot pulling second gear. my son is also on that site in the green super bee.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  15. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

That orange coupe does a brutal launch, I think I saw three wheels in the air on one occassion. been watching the event each day.

Squirrel your Nova look bitchen going down the track

16. Im home now. I hope to be able to post some pics tonight. While my sons goals and mine were not entirely met we had a great time. We got to meet some great people and were able to spend some time with our hamb brothers.

17. pictures from drag week:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    loudbang and BigDrag like this.
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Couple of nice lookin rides there racer and some expensive lookin carnage under that valve cover.

19. We were able to fix it right there in the mcdonalds parking lot. We worked with flash lights. Luckily i had a pair of shafts and a few rockers. We made it the 120 plus miles we needed to go that night. 378 total miles that day with a temp of 99. Drag week is no easy thing to do. Its truly a test of man and machine. its a event were the cars are faster than the mouth or key board.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    loudbang likes this.
  20. good job there RX....enjoyed the pics.....

21. squirrel

squirrel

[​IMG]

I survived the whole thing, this pic was taken by someone at Hot Rod on Saturday. Beautiful track conditions...I ran a 9.96 in the morning...

Mike got 3rd place in the Gasser class, I got 4th. Here he is getting some hang time... His J ran a 9.7something, quickest it's ever gone.

[​IMG]

22. OUTSTANDING GUYS!

23. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I'm so jealous! I want to do drag week someday.

What class did you run your coupe in? I was looking through the classes and I didn't see anything my truck would fit into.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. squirrel

squirrel

Brian ran his coupe in Daily Driver. The rules don't allow a blower in Hot Rod, and with the ETs he was running it was a natural for DD.

25. daily driver has a index of 10.80 they don't allow a blower with a chopped top. its one or the other. last year i took the blower off to run the class. its the only class that you have to race your way into the finals on friday. the fastest 32 cars run off a dial in based on you weekly average. this class is the largest in drag week. there were 128 cars in this class. on sunday during the test and tune i did pull off a 10.8 shifting at 5900 rpm. i usually shift at 7200. i wonder how they are going to do registration next year with how popular this is getting. the gasser class really stepped it up this year congrats. last year a low eleven would have won it all.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  26. I for sure had a blast in Tulsa monday, I should have just tagged along the rest of the week because I ended up watching the live feed quite alot the other 5 days including Sat. Didn't get much done at all and I had to play catchup but it was worth it. I think what I love about it so much is the drive, I loved power tour until it went to the masses and got out of hand, there is just something about driving an obnoxious car and making it happen. I am not sure that I will ever get to do it just due to the fuel expense.

27. squirrel

squirrel

I accidentally added up our fuel costs for the "race car"...(not counting getting to Tulsa in the Suburban)...$723 over the week. My son chipped in, which was really nice of him.

This is a game you have to start playing a year ahead of time.

28. Our fuel bill was alot also. Then figure in race gas for the racing portion. We would pull into the track with less than a quarter tank. Then we each put in 5 gal of 110. We did that due to only being able to find gas that was 91 octane. Around me we have 93 every where. When i look at the trip as a whole doing a father son race week is priceless. Having lost my dad when i arrived back at home this past week i appreciate even more the time my son and i spend together. My son is coming home from detroit for the funeral he has alot more pics to post. We will do what we can to get them posted.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Dang racer-x sorry to hear about the lost of your dad you have my condolences.