Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chevy 409 Sugestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cali707sf, Dec 22, 2009.

1. cali707sf

cali707sf

For a while now I have wanted to get a Chevy 409 and beef it out... I’m not going to use it for drag racing or anything... just for fun in my 49 AD truck...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I have looked online and "409 Chevy Performance" has some I could use to build up... A lil on the expensive side I think...<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>I wanted to stroke it... and thinking of using an Inglese 8 stack... other then that I'm not sure what I would need...<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>Any 409 techies out there to help???

Maybe going with a built 348 might be cheaper and just as strong???

2. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

3. vintage tin

vintage tin

4. brocluno

brocluno

Cubic inches rule for absolute power, but if you only want the look of a cool W motor, the 348 is a good candidate. They're out there in trucks if you look :)

5. 3onthetree

3onthetree

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  6. And cost about 14 large...

7. I think you would be better to use a 348 in the truck, same look, a lot cheaper. Go with three deuces on the 348, still cheaper. Numbered 409 blocks are outrageous in price and the new aluminum heads are about 22-2500. Easy to have 8-10K in a 409. However, if money is not an issue, when people ask , you can say yep! it's an' 09:cool:.

8. jim_ss409

jim_ss409

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I went with a 348 in my new deuce roadster. When I was looking, the 409 guys were out of their minds with their prices. I bought a lot of my parts from Showcars and had the local machine shop do the work. I have an Offy dual 4 setup and lots of dress up parts. I backed it up with a Richmond 4 speed for the ole timey feel. I must have answered the question (what is it) a 348 or 409 hundreds of times.

10. dbradley

dbradley

I see you used Inglese 8 stack and cheaper in the same post :D

11. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Eagle sells a forged stroker crank that doesn't require any mods.

12. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

eagle stroker crank, forged slugs, BBC rods and edelbrock heads in a 348....you'd have plenty of fun in that sucker!

13. cali707sf

cali707sf

Thank you all for your input... 409's seem pretty steep, and if i through in an Inglese 8 stack (just for sex appeal, and i haven't been able to find anyone else that makes them) it would be about 14K total.... lil rich for my blood...

348 will retain the look I love and if I beef it up slightly I think I'll be just as happy... (or at least I'm telling myself that lol) and I think it will be the best bang for my buck...

FYI... There is nothing sexier then a 8 Stack... in my opinion that is...

Now I'm going to have to try and find a good 348 to start this build off with... Wish me luck and if anyone out there in Cali has one... PM me...

Thanks again everyone for all the great links and information!

14. There are no down-draft intakes, Inglese or other brand, for the W-engine. Closest things out there are the old Algon mechanical injection intakes (not cheap) and the new EFI that Hilborn is supposed to be releasing (even less cheap). You would need to fabricate your own if you want to run weber-style carbs.

15. DYNO360

DYNO360

I have had several 409s and they won't disappoint you in the "torque" department, and torque is what you want for the streets. One word of caution: the engine is very heavy. Don't know what you're putting it into, but it may mess up the handling. Also, if you have to rebuild the engine, not every engine shop has experience with the combustion chamber in the block design. Shop around.

16. 5 year old thread -
    Maybe he's done saving up for it by now :)