Register now to get rid of these ads!

Read this!!!!!!!!!!!!! Safety warning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jul 25, 2009.

1. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

the alcohol based cleaners are ok, it's the ones with chlorine, chlorinated cleaners that break down in the presence of heat, if a cleaner is alcohol based it normally wont have chlorine, but make sure to check, or just clean with denatured alcohol, this also applies to R12 refrigerant, it used to be a big deal when there was a fire in a car with R12, when it burns it also breaks down into phosgene gas

2. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

History lesson, don't know if anyone brought this up but; PHOSGENE IS WHAT THE GERMANS USED TO KILL OFF PEOPLE IN THE CONCENTRATION CAMPS!! EXTREMELY NASTY STUFF!!

3. A Boner

A Boner

Does carb cleaner work good enough on brake parts? If so I'll stop buying brake cleaner.

4. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

The alcohol based stuff works just fine, its a very dry cleaner, you can't use a petroleum. Based solvent on anything to do with brakes,because it leaves an oily coating, they are phasing out clorinated solvents anyway, carb cleaner often contains petroleum based solvents, denatured alcohol. Works very well for weld cleaning as it evaporates completely and leaves no residue

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I am being tested right now for bladder cancer. The doctors tell me it's more common in smokers or those who have been exsposed to the chemicals talked about on this thread. I have never smoked but like many of you NEVER wore any protection until the last few years. I just cringe when I see someone washing parts without gloves on or painting and grinding with out a mask now.

6. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Bad News Bears!

7. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Make sure you only use NON-chlorinated brake clean.

Ago

8. Buzznut

Buzznut

I honestly have no idea how many times I've been saved from my own stupidity, but I will definitely be reading labels more often from now on. Scary stuff....

9. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

It was also one of the "nerve" gases used in WWI. Since we are talking cleaners, don't forget that mixing bleach and ammonia will produce the same type of gas. Different chemicals, same results. :eek:

10. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Here in Ca you can't even find chlorinated brake cleaner anymore. IMHO it's a good thing. I read about this back when the story first came out. I was using brake cleaner for everything back then and after reading the story it scared me pretty bad. I read every warning label now days.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Bringing this to the top for new HAMB members to read. Bob

30dodgeboy likes this.
  12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bob,

Sorry to say the original article is no longer there and the link is broken.

Tubman

13. Dan

Dan

I just got the same result...I NEED to share with this my shop students! Is there a new link or another soure where I can find this story!!!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  14. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410404684.191392.jpg
    This is it^^^^^
    Thanks for the reminder.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30dodgeboy likes this.
  15. Dan

Dan

thanks!

16. And wear the best respirator that you can afford.
    -Pat