Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rear brake locking up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Herr Otto, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Herr Otto

Herr Otto

On my newly acquired 61 apache the previous owner installed a new master cylinder but never bled the brakes. I bled all the brakes and adjusted all the brakes till they started to grab a little. (I already dismantled the brakes and freed up the rusted adjusters and lubed the backing plates.)When I apply the brakes the right rear tire skids. When I spin the wheels when they are off the ground they all seem to have equal grab. Any suggestions?

2. Is the new master a dual?

3. Herr Otto

Herr Otto

No. I believe it is like the original with part of it being for the brakes and part for the clutch slave valve. A line for each

4. alicia-dusty

alicia-dusty

could they have put both secondary and both primary shows on each side of the rearend . Giving you more braking area on one side. It gives you a very controlled brake lockup of the one side. Good Luck.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

were drums turned? have you tried to loosen up brake adjustment on that one wheel? even without leakage wheels cylinders can go bad. flushed entire system and put in fresh fluid?

6. Look for something on the linings, rear axle lube, brake fluid, plain old grease. That can cause a grabby condition.