Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What do you roadster guys think

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pinchecharlie, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Pinchecharlie

Pinchecharlie
    from Montana

Saw this ...seems too good to be true. What do you guys think? 2500 bucks image.jpg

sko_ford likes this.
  2. .

If you don't I will. Just send me the contact Info...

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Sure, where is it, I'll go get it. ;)

Don

4. Squablow

Squablow

Looks like a sport coupe with the door tops and windshield cut off to me? Still probably worth $2500 though, especially if it's got a title.

5. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

^ What Squablow said

6. jamesd1502

jamesd1502
    from san diego

7. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

8. millersgarage

millersgarage

not a real roadster, not sure about the frame either, but lots of good stuff for the price

9. Pinchecharlie

Pinchecharlie
    from Montana

so you think he cut off the tops of the doors and the windshield? he said the frame was homemade and it has ten bolt rear end and coil overs. sport coupe huh. i dont know much about these. is the body worth 2500?

10. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I don't see $2500 worth of body sitting there in the one pic you supplied, and without more pics of the rest of its' condition, I'd be wary. Homemade frame ain't worth nothing...neither is a coil sprung 10 bolt rear...junkyard wheels/tires. You asked.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

There's nothing nicer than a 1928-29 roadster running a '32 grill & rails. But what you have there is a cut up coupe. It would take some effort to make it presentable. Offer less if you still want it. But I'd wait for a real one.

Good thing you asked for advice here before jumping all-in on that project. You'd have figured out eventually that you had a coupe and probably would have been pretty disappointed with the "deal" you got.

12. bct

bct

looks to be a modified chev front axle

13. Squablow

Squablow

Does it have a trunklid? A title? Both of those things are pricy items to buy later. Looks like an aftermarket louvered hood, that looks good. Homemade frame with coilovers is junk although you might be able to sell some parts off of it.

Body looks nice, like it has good door bottoms and quarters, but that's only assuming they aren't patched up and full of mud. I'd definitely check that if the guy built a homemade frame, he might have been cobbling on that body as well.

Could be a sweet deal, could be a dud, depending on details. I like a well done "coupester" but some guys frown on that stuff.

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I beg to differ with you, not all home made frames are worthless, I have seen plenty of good ones, and mine is certainly far from worthless.

And I'll add my vote to pass if you want a real roadster.

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If I bought it I would make a cool little drag roadster out of it. It has that look. A tonneau cover over the cockpit and a roll cage would look pretty trick on there. If you bought it for $2500 you could put a simple sbc in there with a stronger rear and some other work, and be racing cheap.

Tell me that car doesn't remind you of this one:

[​IMG]

Don

16. Pinchecharlie

Pinchecharlie
    from Montana

more pics. has a title. is a coupester frowned upon? can i fix it with doors and a hammer and dolly?

Attached Files:

17. Squablow

Squablow

Some of those pics are tiny, or at least, they don't show up full size on my computer.

A converted coupe to roadster body isn't worth as much as a real roadster, although it was done fairly often back in the day so it still qualifies as traditional. When they're done well, they can look great, but the key areas to rework are the cowl top and the tops of the doors. Super thick door tops or awkward windshield mounting is what ruins the looks of the bad ones. A well done conversion can actually have really good proportions with the bigger doors.

The body looks nice, if it's nice around the bottoms of the doors/cowl/quarters and not butchered up I think this is still a really good deal. You can buy stock bare A frames for $200 and some of the frame and suspension stuff on this one might transfer over. If this frame is really well built, you could run it, but homemade frames scare me a bit, and often don't have the nice looks of a Ford frame.

EDIT I see you mentioned it has a title. I'd say that's a pretty darned good deal considering what's all there. Even if there is some hidden bodywork, all that can be sorted out.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  18. BillWallace

BillWallace

You probably knew when you asked opinions here they would be all over the place. Do you have the tools & equipment & skills to finish the car the way you want it to be? If you do & that's what you want then go for it.

19. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Believe me, if this car wasn't so far away it would be in my garage. $2500 may buy more in some parts of the country, but not in mine. It is very saveable. Having a title is a $500 plus IMO.

Don

turboroadster likes this.
  20. Dizzie

Dizzie

This is my '28 roadster from basically the same angle as your first pic. compare the differences. $2500 is a good deal in my part of the country for what you are looking at. 0817140953a.jpg

21. Pinchecharlie

Pinchecharlie
    from Montana

where in sunny florida are you?ill bring it out there for ya! need a holiday in the sun

22. missysdad1

missysdad1

week3.5.jpg My '29 is a coupster much like yours can be. The wide doors make getting in and out much easier and the interior is huge compared to a real roadster. And frankly I think they have very nice proportions if done well. I'd go for it, then find an A or Deuce frame to put it on.

loudbang likes this.
  23. afaulk

afaulk

Hell yes. I bought a gear drive recently for $1,200. This is a steal.

24. mike bowling

mike bowling

No matter what you're into , $2500. won't get you much these days.BUT that being said, based on the pics you supplied AND the fact that it DOES have a title, I don't see how you can go wrong.Get some coupe parts and re-construct the top?? Whatever you decide, stay positive and have some fun( a rare commodity these days at any price.) Maybe get a trailer for it and go on vacation?

Attached Files:

25. Go for it!! Not near as much work there as in my cabrio body. I'd sure do it. Tim

26. Sounds good to me