Register now to get rid of these ads!

33 Chevy on ASC rails

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigheadbaxter, Sep 8, 2014.

1. volvobrynk likes this.
  2. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

Thanks 33anda3rd. Very informative. I find the freewheel feature that these cars had just insane! I understand they were discontinued shortly after because of braking failures, they didn't have engine braking assist. I would love to find the FREEWHEEL ENGAGED knob. If anyone has one feel free to contact me. Thanks again

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Get well so you can get this sweet ride finished. Good job, it is looking great.
    :rolleyes:o_O;):p:):D

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

The next step was one I've never attempted THE CHOP! I read all I could and talked to people that had successfully done it. It was time to make a move. Marked it off with 3in tape, I had it figured to only take 1-1/2in. Out of the back window ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410305471.446396.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410305663.479888.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410305714.063901.jpg . I cut it right below that A pillar body line. Chopchop

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

Nice work....gettin rid of the wood is good!

6. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

Finished welding the lid back on ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410311313.698646.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410311367.315965.jpg

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That chop doesnt look half bad. Pretty cool.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. [​IMG] I'm digging this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    VERY cool, bigheadbaxter.

Adam

volvobrynk and slimcat7m3 like this.
  9. Killer Bowtie!
    [​IMG]

54reno likes this.
  10. Very cool. I really dig how the wheels tuck in to the rear wheelwells.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Outstanding workmanship!! You obviously plan your work well, have a very good eye for detail and are very resourceful, making what you need as you proceed. Very impressive!

Thanks for posting this build. Looking forward to more updates as you go along.

Best Wishes for a speedy and thorough recovery from the back surgery.

Ray

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

Thanks a lot guys, this is very motivating. Hang around I'm gonna load up some more pics today ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410351376.838052.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410351427.404909.jpg i took these pictures at the Pate Swapmeet at the Texas Motor Speedway. I lost the owners phone number. If anyone may know him let me know, I would still like to reference this car on certain items. Thanks

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

love it.nice work

14. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

The saying ' Being at the right place at the right time ' holds true with me. I just try to be resourceful , if I see something I think I can use now or down the road I will put forth the effort to drag it home. Shit just cost to much, especially steel. The Liebert I spoke of in a previous post had some discharge air riser panels on top of them, they were being scrapped and I spoke up and said I wanted them. Not only was I saving the customer money I new I would put them to use someday. So once I finished the body work on the body shell it was time to put it in primer. I've sprayed in the shop before and it just makes a mess of everything. Then it clicked-I remembered the panels ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410353364.851546.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410353395.201305.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410353421.801056.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410353461.151202.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410353484.834624.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410353532.318028.jpg I had stored in my steel rack. I'll just make my self a booth. That's a fan from a 4 ton split system out of the air handler, I thought if it moves air for a whole house it will be perfect for one room. It creates the perfect cross draft

15. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

I have less than $200 in the booth. I found the lights on CL , was just kinda strange I was told they came out of club they have a mirror back and 6 bulbs per fixture. I bought 6 @ $10ea. The plastic is black on one side and white on other. The ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410355283.339933.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410355297.590177.jpg description said it was for grow rooms ?IDK. anyway I found it on eBay for $40 bought some roll on enamel and threw it all together. Another trashed find was this refrigerated air drier I carried home and repaired it. It defiantly saves the life of my pneumatic tools needless to say makes spraying ideal.

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You are a very clever fellow, Baxter.....you've earned the "Big Head". :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

Thanks Hnstray. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410356646.690480.jpg . This is Baxter. I don't know if you read my intro but it explains a little more about him. This build isn't 'Steadfast' quality but I try

18. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

19. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

After building a 31 Chevy, I feel your pain. You did everything I keep saying I should have done while building mine #1 steel to replace the wood and I had all new wood, #2 build a 32 Ford frame for it, can't wait to see this one done..take care of that back it only gets worse as you get older trust me I know! 2009-05-19 12.04.49.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

OOPS !! :D:D "when all else fails, read the directions" (or, the intro)

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. 270ci

270ci

Very nice work and the results look great.

When you did the chop, did you lay the A pillar back a tad or extend the roof section a bit to aline the A pillar again?

Would like to see pics of that if possible, as I'll be doing a chop on my 33 coupe soon.

22. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

I expected this question to come up. I really wasn't sure what to do at first, since I had already filled the roof opening. After heavy thought I decided to cut the roof and move it out to the A pillar since I had the donor car roof section. I felt that leaning back the A pillar would mean more work on the precious Chevy doors. I can't say I would do it same if I had it to do over. But I am pleased with the out come. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410362215.253439.jpg this is the only pic I have. The roof was so rigid before cutting to lengthen. after welding completely I had some shrinking to do.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Chevies of these years don't normally have the "look". I think it has a lot to do with the front springs and frame. Yours without a doubt, has the "look"! The chop is well thought out and executed, the stance is just right, and those rear wheels tucked in makes it look so mean. What a great looking car, and not one you see too often. Well done!
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

Murphy32 and Billybobdad like this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

What a nice build, car looks great, and the build it yourself blast cabinet and spray booth came out really nice. Bob

25. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

Thanks again guys for the compliments. This place called the H.a.m.b can be intimidating, that may be one of the reasons it's taking me so long to get involved. I knew I was eventually gonna have to go off topic, and that would be with the 350/700 combo. Yes I did it. Looking for reliability and lower cost, don't get me wrong big blocks and vintage speed parts are the coolest. But I plan on going the distance in this car. I will apologize to all the haters. Ok since I got that off my chest let me show you some more pics. With the body off AGAIN I got a chance to work on exhaust, brake lines and fuel system ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410387258.314547.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410387275.799031.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410387322.498199.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410387352.597923.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410387373.081742.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410387419.664529.jpg that is a tri 5 air cleaner that I cut the bottom out of and welded in one that fits a 4 barrel to the top side of the lower half. So I guess you could say it's channeled to hide the new edelbrock

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

You put a Chevy in it, as many Fords here have SBC's in them you should have put a SBF in it just to shake things up!!! LOL!!

34 5W Paul, volvobrynk and Katuna like this.
  27. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Man you have to watch what people tell you cant put a chevy on a ford chassis lol! Looks great I have been out for awhile but I am back the 32 is for sale starting back on my chevy !

28. image.jpg

I too really like the way that Chevy body sits on the ford chassis. I'm guessing the Chevy body is a bit wider than the ford body and even more so at the rear, Judging by some other pics here.

That rear wheel just looks so right to my eyes. Body sitting low and channeled a few inches at the rear wheel tucked in a little and the quarters didnt need cut and reworked. Maybe its just me, but when the tires sticks out and the tire rides over the wheel well lip it really looks like a major fuck up. Ruins the looks of the whole car for me.

You know the only time a ford really looks " Oh so good" is with a whole bunch of work! When the frame gets stepped at the rear, wheel wells get deeper tires tucked and then the 1/4 is cut and the lip moved up in the quarter. That's a lot of work and if you notice only the highest of high end cars have this work done.

I stuck some Chevy rear 1/4s on a ford body and on a ford chassis. To get every thing right I had to raise the rear kick in the frame a fair amount. I noticed that you said you raised / leveled the rear tails too. That's not that much of a job to do but its one of those things that make the general public say that it can't be done - HA!

Really enjoying your posts here !!!

Ps. Since you seem to be a master at repurposing stuff .... What could be done with large (20 to 80 HP) DC motor controllers? I have 8 of them. I know that within those cabinets lays way more stuff than Tesla had :) but I haven't got a clue what can be made out of them.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

Thanks for your response Nailhead Terry. I'm glad you chimed in. Can't wait to see what you have in-store for yours

30. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

I got my multi quote flip flopped