Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 plymouth

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 31ply, Aug 27, 2014.

1. 31ply

31ply
    from IL

i have, as stated, a 1931 plymouth coupe. i bought it in this condition and am trying to figure a few things out as the previous owner did some strange things. first is: around the body (where the upper and lower body tubs come together) is there supposed to be some sort of molding? it looks like there is something missing that would attach the two pieces. 31_Plymouth_Coupe_01.jpg if someone has some close up pics of that area around the sides and rear of the upper to lower meeting point i would appreciate it.
    31_Plymouth_Coupe_04.jpg
    close ups around the rear would also be great!

thanks!

2. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

I think your body is earlier then 1931. There should be a moulding around that area.Look at pics of 1928 Plymouths and that should help you. If it has an original dash opening that would help to identify it.

3. That is a 1930 Plymouth. The 1931 has the continuous belt molding to the rear like this....

Attached Files:

4. Your coupe appears to be a 1930.....but Plymouth made running changes all through '30-'32 so who knows.
    My '31 PA coupe has rounded door corners and a couple more reveals on the 1/4 panels. Also has a swing out windshield where the earlier ones cranked up and down

Great to see another old Plymouth being saved!

[​IMG]

5. The Oval rear window started on the 1930 "U" Model "New Finer Series" There were no moldings in the area where yours is cut apart. If I was guessing looks as though some one put that top on a different lower body section.
    I have multiples of 1928,1930,1931, 1932, 1933 through 1936 models All Plymouths. Been messing with Early Plymouths since the late 60s. 1928, 1929 "Q" series had wooden body supports with metal over that. 1930s were all metal bodies. The new finer series had the Oval rear window, which was used through 1932 on 32 thrift models. 1932 PB series had square window in back and Dual Cowl vents which Plymouth reffered to as a Cowl-Less Hood.
    1932 PB Plymouths had counterbalanced cranks and replaceable rod and main bearings. All Plymouths from 1928 on came with Hydraulic Brakes..
    The previous owners appeared to add a top from late 1930 to early 1932......

6. Plymouth did not refer to a Year Model For the earlier cars.
    The posted photos do not give much chance for positive Id but appears to be hand made wooden structure around rear of doors and front inside of added top?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  7. Yes....it's a 1930. That looks to be the correct top and the lower reveal has been trimmed off. Here is one that shows the "extra" reveal....

Attached Files:

8. 31ply

31ply
    from IL

thankyou for all the replies!
    i will take some other pics this weekend and post them to get a better idea. i can deffinetly tell there is a reveal molding missing there because of the way the two pieces meet up. i know its the right upper for the lower because there are no signs around the upper half anywhere that would indicate that. title does say 1931 and the vin plate on the car looks to be original and not tampered with so i would assume its a 31. but something could have happened somewhere along the life of the car and a different vin and title got put with it. anyone have any good sources for body parts? ( driver side window garnish molding, rear body panel under trunk that goes between 1/4's, rockers, deckled)

9. It could have been titled late as a 1931 when sold. It was common to do that during the Great Depression. If you look for any parts, I would look for 1930 parts, otherwise you will not find what you need. Just trying to help and inform....

10. 31ply

31ply
    from IL

does a model 30U sound correct for what this looks like?

11. Yes. It looks to be a 30U.

12. ski

ski
    from San Diego

It had a wood nailer that went between the two parts. A trim piece was tacked over that. It looks like a late 30 U to me also. I have a 29 U and the roof joins the same way. The entire rigged work of the coach is wood. Mine is title as a"first year sold 1931" I was told this had something to do with when they started keeping certain records in CA.

13. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

I have a 31 and a 29 and my brother has a 30. Both my 31 and his 30 were rusted real bad in this area. I have seen guys cut this area out to chop them because of the rust.

14. 31ply

31ply
    from IL

Would you happen to have any pics of how you took car of that rusty area?(moparfinman). Ski. Your saying that piece do trim on the outside you have is wood?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

No I think that there is some miss understanding here. The wood that the other guys are talking about is on the inside of body. this is were they used nails( Small Tacks) to hold the inside trim up. The area that I was talking about that some guys would cut out to chop the top is the raised area between the top and quarter panels. If you look at the picture I loaded the area that is raised at the roof to quarter area has rust holes in it. I have seen this area cut out to get rid of the rust and also chop the top at the same time. (click on photo to enlarge)

Attached Files:

16. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

after looking at your pictures more I see that your is a 30, where mine is a 31 and there is differences. This is very interesting to me because my brothers car is a 30 and the guy who had it before him chopped the top by lowering the roof into the body. His truck lid has been welded in so it does not open. he would like to fix this right. so I will do more research on this.

17. ski

ski
    from San Diego

I'll post some pics in a while.

18. 31ply

31ply
    from IL

Yeah mine is a 30U titled as a 31 and ok I thought ski was talking bout the outside. I know the inside uses wood stripping. Some of that is still in tact. Thanks! Keep the pics and replies coming. I'm getting a lot of good info here!

19. ski

ski
    from San Diego

20. 31ply

31ply
    from IL

Awesome pics! Those are exactly what I was looking for. I should be able to make that piece. Do you happen to have any pics of the backside of that molding so I can see how it's made? Thanks!

21. ski

ski
    from San Diego

Okay as you see above in the bottom pic the two sheet metal pieces are tacked through the pre-drilled holes at the seam to the wood blocks that make up the supporting structure for the body work on the inside. Then the metal trim piece is tacked to the same blocks to cover the seam and provide a nice transition to the rest of the beltline trim edge that is stamped into the roof section below the rear window and the top the doors near the window openings.

22. ski

ski
    from San Diego

IMG_8360 (640x480).jpg IMG_8359 (640x480).jpg IMG_8357 (640x480).jpg IMG_8356 (640x480).jpg IMG_8347 (640x480).jpg IMG_8329 (640x480).jpg I would make it out of a 1/8 X 5/8 flat stock. Some type of malleable aluminum alloy. Looks like the nails are just inserted through some slightly countersunk holes and ground flat.

23. ski

ski
    from San Diego

By the way, what are you using for a frame?

24. 31ply

31ply
    from IL

wow! very nice i will deffinetly be able to make this happen now with those. i am going to be fabricating a frame myself because the frame under it is nowhere close to what it needs or strong enough. awhile back i got some dimensions and pics from another member that i'm going to go off of. any other frame info would be helpful though.

25. ski

ski
    from San Diego

I have a extra 1929 Plymouth coupe rolling chassis here.

26. 31ply

31ply
    from IL

you have pm