Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help converting 31 coupe back from a pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rgclouse, Sep 5, 2014.

1. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

Look that coin up, if it is a Walking its $$.......

2. rgclouse

rgclouse

34Fordtk Thanks. I Googled it and found a range of values about $11-15 as a coin and $6.91 for the silver.

Anyway you look at it, I got a small discount on the "a".

3. rgclouse

rgclouse

gaga4toyz, thanks for the photoshops.

After looking at the windshield in the rearview mirror for 800 miles, it doesn't look so tall anymore. Still think I will chop 3-4 inches when making it a hotrod. Jury is still out on keeping it a truck.

4. rgclouse

rgclouse

Hitchhiker, thanks for the suggestion. I will look for sport coupes.

I have an offer of the rear half of a 28/29 roadster. Anyone know other then the bead next to the decklid what the difference s are from a 30/31?

5. rgclouse

rgclouse

Tried turning engine over with a 3/4 square drive and an 18 inch breaker bar. Did not budge. No idea when it last ran. It was a farm truck last licensed in 1968. No telling if it was used on the farm later without updating the tags.

6. gaga4toyz

gaga4toyz

I just got a freezed up motor turning. I removed the plugs and put a tablespoon of marvel mystery oil down in the plug holes. I let it sit for a few days and put another tablespoon in. After a week I was able to turn the motor freely. I was a little leery of this working, but it seemed to free it up fine.

8. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

I cannot cout how many frozen engines I have brought back to life with the mmo in the plug hole , actually any 30 wt oil usually works even tranmission fluid I have used them all and nothing feels much better as when you get that baby free and wheelin

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. John Lafayette

John Lafayette

Just my 2 cents worth but I like it like that too. There was a time during WW2 that pick ups were exempt from rationing and a lot of cars were converted. Unlike now there weren't as many pickups around and used cars were cheap so get out the torch. My uncle did it to a 34 cabriolet! It's a cool piece of history.

10. As those conversions go, that's a pretty neat one, right down to hanging the spare on the back. Was it me I'd be temped to leave it as is, except for a flathead and a little later running gear.

The last one I had had been a 4-door and they just cut it off at the B-post. Maybe it had a plywood rear cab wall at one point, who knows.

11. cool score! pull plugs and fill cylinders with ATF/ACETONE 50/50 mix and walk away for a week, that will free it up.

12. FlatJan

FlatJan

i think this won't fit, as it got a different curve.. Better look for the sport coupe ;)

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice thread, three years old, wonder if the engine ever did free up? Bob

14. ...cool project, here's some inspiration,....this would have been neat to clean up, get running and enjoy, but I guess Mike & Andy did a pretty good job of saving it...
    ...I'd vote to keep yours as a pickup, just shorten the bed for better proportions and make it solid, then hot rod the drivetrain as you've listed,...yer car so do as you wish, good luck...
    30 A coupe 006.jpg 30 A coupe 011.jpg 30 A coupe 007.jpg joliet07 065.jpg joliet07 064.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. scotts52

scotts52

I have seen a lot of these conversions over the years and have seen a lot of actual pickup beds and have wondered what happened to all the trucks that gave up their beds.