Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lower radiator hoses on Flathead motors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grego31, Sep 7, 2014.

1. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

They suck!!! The stupid bend that makes them almost kink right from the get go! Why couldn't the Ford designers mkae the radiators shorter and wider so the hose went right straight into the pump and lower outlets? Stupid design!!!!
    That being said, has anyone come up with a better design or a hard pipe conversion? Not much room to work with but after sitting in the engine bay last night after tearing the front part of my car apart to take out the radiator, I have a feeling that the hoses might be collapsing and causing a hot condition when on the freeway.
    I did a search and came up with nothing good, just a bunch of dirty lower hose pictures!

2. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410110557.994653.jpg
    Not sure of what you have. But I cut two ninety degree elbows and used stainless exhaust pipe to make mine.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. 2935ford

2935ford

4. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

Oops, sorry, I have a 1950 Ford Sedan with the 8ba flathead.
    That's a great solution but mine is at a shallower angle, think two 45's to make the turn. I wish I took a picture of it before I took it apart but.....

5. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

My outlet is at about the level of the bottom of the top 90 degree hose, right around where the hose clamps are. Plus the hose is only about 6" long.

6. I just went to my favourite parts store and went behind the counter and looked at all the hoses. Found whatever hoses had the size and bends I wanted and cut up whatever worked best. I even remembered to make note of part numbers for down the road