Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Haha no way Bean Dip you got a big lead on me! I wasn't planning on starting from scratch but here we are. Putting in a rear axle is probably the easiest part of this whole thing.

2. Hell you'll have this done next month no problem! Keep up the good work.

3. Yeah, here in Toronto we say that all the time...

4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

AWESOME BUILD
    SUBSCRIBED

5. Comin' along nicely man!!

6. Any updates Tony? :cool:

7. This, my friend, is killer!!!!

BloodyKnuckles

8. My parents live in Buford.......you'll have to post a hard time, for when you start the engine for the first time. Give them a chance to open the windows.....so you don't blow their house down. This is gonna' be a fun car to watch. Got my beer koozy ready.......

9. Thanks for all the props! Been busy rounding up parts and getting the transmission shop tour.

After talking to Quain about the trans he suggested talking to Johnny Hightower about the ones he makes. He is about 2 hours away so after a few calls he said come on up and get your trans! Saturday morning arrived and I jumped into the sedan delivery to run up to Johnny's shop. It was 6:30am and still dark. Not 2 miles from my house I am going about 45mph in a divided 4 lane and I see headlights - what the hell this guy is on my side of the 4 lane :eek:. It happened in like 3 seconds he was asleep or drunk because he was drifting diagonal to my right. I slammed the brakes and the rear end went left, I let off the brake and the sedan shot right - just out of his path. I looked in the rear view and there were more cars coming behind me. Not sure where he ended up but there wasn't a news report later. What are you gonna do?

I get to Johnny's shop and he has been up cutting gears already and asked if I want the tour. HOLY COW :) he has raw steel coming in one end and transmissions out the other end. I was there 3 hours and had a blast. He told me all about machining gears but a lot of it went over my head.

Here is a 1949 broaching machine - I think he called it -

IMG_0050.JPG

He just started using this particular machine and was seeing how well it works - said the noise inside the arm needs attention.

He started with a steel puck that he cuts from a big long bar and this thing cut a gear in no time. He has a lot of other machines but I didn't snap a pic. The place is huge.

IMG_0054.JPG

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    loudbang, Bean Dip and enloe like this.
  10. He makes his own case forms and has them poured then mills down the raw aluminum in a CNC. He can make about anything he said the only thing he doesn't have enough of is time.

IMG_0057.JPG

enloe likes this.
  11. IMG_0056 (Copy).jpg Really amazing place and he is a great guy to learn stuff from. He is a genius, most of the stuff he showed me that he designed made my head spin. Really enjoyed the trip and glad I went up instead of paying UPS to bring it home!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  12. elgringo71

elgringo71

Thanks for giving us the Hightower tour. It's amazing to see how its all done. Which transmission did you get, I think that he makes several and what gearing does it have?

13. That was just a fraction of the tour - if you are local its something to see. He showed me how they cut the long splines on on the main shaft - damn if I didn't get a pic - never seen it done and always wondered how you could do it. He makes long cases and short cases I think 2,3,4,5 speeds. Not sure though. I got a long case 4 speed with the "Southeast Gasser Ratio" its all Greek to me anyway. He said when the weight and HP are known he will help pick the rear gear. That's about all I care to know, engines are more my thing.

catdad49 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Way cool brother :cool:

15. elgringo71

elgringo71

I will have to visit him someday. I love the sound of that "South East Gasser Ratio" and he determines the ratio based on your horsepower and weight. That's a very cool deal in this age of mass production and limited options.

16. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

awesome just awesome

17. Very nice work,I would think that the Moonlighter thread is much like a how to manual on building a Gasser. HRP

catdad49 likes this.
  18. powrshftr

powrshftr

Thanks for posting all this Dog!:)

I'm organizing a HAMB relay to get some Model A fenders as we speak,and I think my HydroStick trans may get shove under the bench for a while to make room for a Hightower 4-spd....looks like you and Quain are gonna be hogging all the fun!:)

In all seriousness,it really makes my heart feel good to see a family run operation like this thriving,and the level of skill and craftsmanship is really impressive.

Once again,thanks for posting Dog:)

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. scout4924

scout4924

Yah, I have a 39 Plymouth and would have loved that crossmember and suspention.
    That is in nice shape. good find! I also love the body style. It's that "B" pillar door that get's me!

20. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

Real Craftsmanship, these special skills still have their place in a modern world thanks for sharing.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Don't know why my subscription to this thread dropped out after I posted way back, but I'm glad I stumbled back on it here.
    Jeez, Tony, I wish I had half your energy and a quarter of the skills you've shown in this build!
    Would have given my left nut to have been with you on the trip to Johnny Hightower's shop to see all that beautiful machinery in action! Been over 40 years since I've been in a gear cutting shop.

22. fancy looking trans

23. Dave it sounds like Tony ought to arrange a cruise-in, especially if he is gonna get them to cut the ring and pinion.

24. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Damn, you got a nice project and I'm still stalled with my heaps. At least I can live vicariously and watch this thread. Wish I new about the local gear shop before I sprung for my swap meet T56.

subscribed needles to say.

25. Yup Tremec ain't got snit on Hightower ;) :cool: Tony can vouch for that first hand :eek:

26. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

That's a cruise I'd really get a kick out of it!!!!!!!!!!

27. Hey Brand Apart - that T56 is a fine trans. This build here is all GO! I have a T5 in my 31 right now and beat on it hard and its great because of the overdrive. The T56 is way better than a T5. My thinking - and I could be wrong but - pulling the wheels up 12" and dry hopping and all that fun stuff is too much for a non-race trans.

Dirty Old Man - hold on to yer horses! I haven't done anything yet but cut a car up and drop a bunch of steel at the scrap yard :confused: guess that will be hard to live down. But stay tuned :rolleyes: the wifey is going out of town for a week. Gasser build moves to the front burner.

And if my name was pwrshftr I wouldn't be running no auto shit :D

28. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

^^^same thing happened to me

29. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

I saw you run the 31 at commerce, It's bad ass.
    I'm sure a t56 will be cool for my blown hemi street truck if I ever get it going, I just like the idea of using independent and local shops when ever possible and the fact some one is still doing that kind of old school trans building in our back yard got me excited.