Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Hell's Messenger

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Sep 3, 2014.

1. I would do all sorts of bad with this thing.
    I'm gonna build something similar. wicked, evil, mean, and nasty.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. chiro

chiro

I take a "large".

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Isn't a little more comfortable, a little more drivable, a little less edgy, the way "street rods" came about?

4. chiro

chiro

So, this post and that CHOP have me seriously rethinking my Tudor project. Originally, I had been planning on a highboy unchopped Tudor and not JUST because it would get me on the road quicker. However, I recently dropped the flatty into the chassis and had to set the body back a little bit because the firewall has not been recessed yet and the rear of the body is now sitting about 3 inches higher than usual. The RAKE gives it so much attitude I can't stand it. NOW, I am rethinking the build, figuring on a chassis height channel with a little more drop in the front and chopping the hell out of it. I have never done either but the bad-assed-ness and rough yet still well thought out work on that coupe are just too much to ignore.

Andy

5. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Hell's Messenger comes from the name of a B-17 that our Grandfather bombed the hell out of Nazi-occupied Europe in during WWII. He ran the bomb site and the top turret guns. He flew 36 missions ...most never made it past 15. The artwork on the side is from his unit, the 547th Bomb Group.

I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of the chop, GFY as Ryan said. In fact, my brothers and I know that if the old guys are bitching, we are right on target.

531617_184873818309896_2071713843_n.jpg

6. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I can feel old at times, but a stint behind the wheel of that would make me very young again.

7. flamingokid

flamingokid

I'm in love with 34's in general,and this one in particular.My family was into classic cars since before I was born and the early part of my life parents had Mercedes,Jags, Porsche's and Auburn's.When I was eight years old,I bought a screen print T-shirt with a 34 5w on it and I've loved them ever since.Naturally,the exposure to the concours vs. custom worlds somewhat confused me.My first frame off restoration was a BMW CS Alpina coupe and it just about fried my mind.Trying to locate every proper part in the pre - internet 1980s was a huge chore and finding my skills didn't match my need for perfection meant it took me way longer than it should,pretty much every night and weekend for a year.My one and only true "restoration".Driving a car while you build it is much more satisfying and keeping it casual as to exactly what you'll end up with means you never come up short and you might even surprise yourself.

8. The only problem I have with this car is the rat rod guys will point at it to justify their existence, and they love to use terms like "if you don't understand then mission accomplished", or "if it's too chopped you're too old".

I'll GFM now. :D

volvobrynk and Special Ed like this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hell Fucking Yeah.

Lots of cursing today... It's sort of cleansing...

10. [QUOTE="loudpedal, post: 10593759, member: 2334" In fact, my brothers and I know that if the old guys are bitching, we are right on target.

View attachment 2706369 [/QUOTE]..................................Why's it gotta be an old thing? I'm 63 and I love all of your cars. I ain't bitching, but your rides are bitchin'.:D

11. catdad49

catdad49

Tis funny. When I saw the first pic, I immediately pictured an A coupe done in the same style. Is that DeJa Vu?

12. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

I have never met any of the Elmers or Throttlers, but I have drooled on everyone of their cars at Bonneville. I think the GFY statement and the name fits this car perfectly. Simply sinister.

I was 11 or 12 years old when I went to the 1st Hotrodarama, the green grenade was there. I can still remember walking up out of the lower parking lot and seeing that thing sitting there. It absolutely blew my mind, the wicked chop, full hood, bare metal, evil thing looking back at me. Thats the only car I can remember from that show, and its etched into my brain. The car just got better as the years went on. So, thanks Loudpedal and Muffin for showing us what hot rods look like.

13. catdad49

catdad49

Chop it til the bugs can't get in...even with the windshield open!!!

kiwijeff likes this.
  14. brady1929

brady1929

To me, this is one of the best threads in a long time.

15. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i love the story behind it. i love the car. i even love the controversy.

16. I find it Hilarious that this site is all about "TRADITIONAL" hot rodding, and yet is has become popular to make fun of, or talk shit about the "Old Guys" who were actually there, who try and explain or give there recounting of the way it REALLY was, because that doesn't fit into someone's idea of what they think things were like, or what they WANT it to have been like. Re Write History and tell the Historians to Fuck Off seems to be the theme for many. Sad really.

17. Wicked car, perfect in your face chop, I love it.

18. ELMER FUDD

ELMER FUDD

Cool this got posted up now. I have art at the printer as we speak to make shirts, and Timmy's car is on one of them. Hoping to bring them to Colorado with us next week.

It's been fun having to re-letter that thing over and over again every time he changes something...got to get practice somewhere!

Attached Files:

Britt Hazelbush likes this.
  19. cory27t

cory27t
    from US

Man what a killer looking car. I love the aggressiveness of the chop. Yea some may think it's a bit too much, but I think it's just perfect and makes the car look so MEAN! I love it

20. gonzo

gonzo

@Ryan should be banned for all the shit he's stirring up lately!

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think you are taking what is supposed to be tongue and cheek a little too literally. And besides, weren't you just a little rebellious when you were a kid? Isn't it that rebellion that got you into hot rodding in the first place?

Here's a great example... A legendary hot rodder was responsible for this as a teenager:

chop1.jpg chop2.jpg

Pretty crude, right? He went on to build two cars featured in HRM in the 1950's... and is responsible for the what might be the most important photography collection of late 40's/early 50's Bonneville racing.

Another example. One of my very closest friends is in his 70's. He hates flatheads... can't stand bias tires... He's done it all and continues to live like a teenager. I can say with the utmost of confidence that while he wouldn't own Tim's coupe, he would appreciate and love it for what it represents. I'd call him for a comment, but he's probably driving his Rivi or his '32 to California right now.

As for historians and traditional hot rodding, have you read any of my features at all? I've literally featured 100's of historical cars in the past... Probably over a 1000. If not, ignore this little feature of rebellious hot rodders and focus on the stuff that you might appreciate. Like:

The Kansas Tornado

The First Dick Courtney ’29 Roadster

The Return Of Tweety Bird

Don Waite’s ’29

Another Cab

Dick Kraft’s Highland Plating Special

The Dick Williams Roadster

Love The Bomb

“A” Sweetheart

The Unsung Cover Car

The Jack Mickelson Roadster

Bloody Mary on Ice

The Bob Hamke T-Roadster

The Jerry McKenzie T-Roadster

Paul Hannan’s 1929 Roadster

The Frank Rose ’27 Ford

Candy Red ’29: A Perennial Favorite.

The Banker Brother’s 32′s

Fresh-Air Fordor

Hot Tub for the Drags

Clean and Channeled- The DeFillipi Roadster

The Dick Flint Pictorial

An Unknown Roadster

Ted Svendsen’s 1934 Ford

I could literally keep going for days... So, you see... It's pretty damned unfair for you to say that we don't focus on history or traditional hot rodding. The above sample was just taken from the last 12 months or so. I work really hard at what I do... and although I'm only 38 years old, I'd put my historical knowledge up against just about anyone. I wasn't there. I don't know shit about "how it was," but I can tell ya what you read back then. :)

Note: tounge and cheek thing again...

22. I love this car, I doubt anybody on here would be able to get the smile off their face after going for a ride..... or even seeing it coming at you in the other lane.

23. Ryan, Hmmmm, find it interesting that you took this as being aimed at YOU or The HAMB in general. Far from it. You see, I said that the HAMB was about "traditional" cars, but that it has become "Popular" (which by the very nature of the word does not mean any One individual, and certainly wouldn't mean the site itself) to take this stance. My comments were not with you or your mission in the cross hairs. I respect what you have done here and realize that you are a student of this thing we call Hot Rodding, and you mostly get it more than a lot of fellas your age ~ But there is a contingent on here that do see things as I laid it out and they seem more than happy to bloviate it. These folks do not have a respect for the past and I suspect don't know what tongue in cheek even means ;)
    So I'm sorry if you took it personally, you weren't even in my thoughts when I was typing. And you'll notice I never said a word about the car .......

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. ELMER FUDD

ELMER FUDD

He might need to go a little smaller in that case!!! This was on the way back from Bonneville 2012.
    IMG_0615.JPG IMG_0616.JPG IMG_0613.JPG

birdog and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

He had the balls to run a 21 stud flathead, where most would've even think of doing such a thing.

Pure traditional hot rodding!

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I take everything said about this site personally. I care a little too much sometimes... :)

But, I'm getting old too now... and with age comes a certain level of... Well, you don't give a shit about the stuff you can't control anymore.

Weird balance of nature going on.

In any regard, no hurt feelings here... and hope I didn't hurt yours. If I did, please accept my most sincere of apologies.

As for this little coupe. I stand by it as a fantastic example of hot rod rebellion. I love it. Maybe I shouldn't... But I do... And as I said in the article, I'm sure it will get more refined in time. Even so, I think this version will always be the image that pops in my head when I think of this car:

[​IMG]

To me, that's a fucking hot rod.

27. Model T1

Model T1

Love the story and almost all of the comments. But I would not enjoy driving or riding in anything with that much of a chop. I don't care how traditonal or how many think it's cool. First off I don't think I could make it 10 miles into my hick town and back without getting arrested and the car being impounded.
    Now get off my lawn.

Special Ed likes this.
  28. This is one of my faves, its famous and simply iconic. Truly a GFY hot rod with a really bad nitro habit. image.jpg

A similar chop I think to "hells messenger".
    without the windshield frame loosing another 2"

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.