Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Hell's Messenger

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Sep 3, 2014.

1. BillyG

BillyG

Ryan, I thought for a minute you were reading my mind. At 65 I feel alot of those same things. Love both cars. One of your best articles.

2. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Damm Jeff, now if I could only take a picture of it like that!!!!

Gotta testify that the Elmer clan are some talented people! From father to sons these guys have skills! I'been fortunate to be friends with them for a couple of years now and shoot their rides.

lothiandon1940 and Ryan like this.
  3. Badass. Beanie, dry lakes tonneau, dropped roadster and all. Great film work man.......

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I dig all of their cars, especially the Green Grenade and black roadster.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Old my ass! I dig heavily chopped coupes. I would have chopped that coupe another 2 inches in the back to give it better proportions. :p

6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

The car is badass and the build is amazing,, but from one brother photographer to another,,, Mike you just nailed the look, the images are not some iphone grabs,, they are ART just as the car is art, art that is driven. A picture is worth 1000 works, Ryan you could have just posted the photos with no story.
    Excellant work!

Jeff Norwell and Buick59 like this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Totally agree. If anything, my words cheapened it.

8. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I'm with ya Larry. Two words, Verne Hammond
    [​IMG]

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    elgringo71, volvobrynk and cody1958 like this.
  9. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

I bet driving that car would be like driving my fuel car,you can see a damn thing. I love it.

10. "If it's too ( loud / chopped / powerful / low / raw / fast / uncomfortable ), then you're too old...."

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I chopped a '36 three window 5-1/4" back in '55...didn't know any better.

barett and Special Ed like this.
  12. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Jeff, your rendition need to be put on a shirt!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

My heart throbbed...... Just wish I could fit into one that low. I'd need a bed to get in it... this old fart could take a nap too.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that chop on the 34 is messed up big time. that was a cool car before they did that.

volvobrynk and falcongeorge like this.
  15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I love to see a point being made... Different strokes for different folks, right? I think that's pretty cool.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

^^^^ I was actually sad when I saw that chop, like seeing a dog get hit by a car.:(

volvobrynk, loudbang and falcongeorge like this.
  17. love the rods but most of all the text, preach it brother! imma email this article to my parents who think driving an old car and saying screw it to the safety, efficiency, and practicality of a vehicle is retarded. ive wanted a low brow, dirty, chopped, go f*ck yourself hotrod ever since the first time I saw one. and im only 17

18. I love how a guy builds a car outside the box and guys bag on it.

Tons of work went into that thing along with tons of sand casting their own parts. That chop is no accident. I realize it's not for everyone, but isn't that what "hotrodding" is?

Buick59 likes this.
  19. brady1929

brady1929

All they did is showcase the heart and soul of the car. Like the blackened heart that beats to keep the evil alive! Wtf is wrong with me? It's that hot rod. It is so raw and sinister.

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Honestly, I expected it... and that's really where the inspiration for my article came. Some people are gonna get the look and others aren't. Some will and still not appreciate it. I think opinions are fine really...

Myself, I think the chop lends to the GFY idea behind this car. It's personality... And I like personality.

Of course, there are also appropriate ways to express an opinion. Some people don't have a very good knack for that - especially on message boards.

gwhite and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

If we all liked and built the same thing, this shit would get pretty boring.

22. Nick, I always say if we all liked the same thing we would all drive the same damn car.

I dunno, I can see why some people do not like the chop. I do love the attitude the cars has. I loved it unchopped as well. It's just a feel-good kind of car. It looks fun. Too many cars are ruined today because the fun is taken away. Rare parts, money, the desire to have "the best"...it's a competition more then a guy expressing himself with a car or just wanting to go as fast as he can with the little he has. I like simple cars. I like radical cars. I LOVE fun cars

birdog and GreenMonster48 like this.
  23. poprivit

poprivit
    from Hagerstown

24. Tim belongs to the same car club (Stags) as I do.

In 2012 we were named as the Spotlight club at the California Hot Rod Reunion. We took 7 cars to display in the grove at Bakersfield.

We could have left 6 of them at home as everyone that came by only looked at Tim's coupe!

Here's a couple shots from there.

Mick
    timscoupe.jpg timscoupe2.jpg

509garyd and Ryan like this.
  25. Was gonna' ask what GFY meant....figured the F word was the middle....good fukn' yarn? Then I realized go fuck yourself fits better.......lol Awesome. Got it !

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. Looks pretty damn great at those angles. Sheesh............BAD ASS, I think. I could roll/fall out of that car just fine.....and of course......running dive right back into it........leave both doors open please......until I make it. Throw me thru the other side if I don't. No worries. Someone will always help me. You'll have friends with that car.

27. The Elmer's do some realy cool things, did you notice the friction shocks? I still aspire to the the home casting of my own hot rod patrs that Loudpedals how to post of years ago described. I got to see this car at Bonneville, it is way cool! Everything a hot rod should be. Great post Ryan, Thanks for the feature.

28. TrueBritt

TrueBritt
    from Utah

It seems the Elmers have a way of buliding true HOT ROD'S. Un-forgettable cars that look as if they could tell a story, cars that leave an impression by honoring our country's history! Killer car and great article.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. keywestjack

keywestjack
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

WELL SAID!!!

30. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Ok,I know I have a eastcoast view of things,but I was building rods in the late 1950s here in Fla. Over chop was a thing for racing,not street driving{if you tryed to drive over chop on the street you were looked at as a bit stupid by both the cops and club guys,except for a test run.. The clubs I was in made a thing about helping any memeber that didn't have $ or time to get some shiny on there rides,it was pride. Sure there were photos of some before they got shiny,but they were on there way,never any idea that crappy look was going to stay crapy or that it looked cool in anyway,it was just crapy. Now days there's a lot of thinking it was a cool look,sorry to bust the fake bubble,but even then or now that thing in the photo was needing help and should of been just a drag or salt car after getting cleaned up.
    The view maybe def from westcoast

volvobrynk and loudbang like this.