Register now to get rid of these ads!

History American Grafitti Coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 2, 2014.

1. I'm not a big AG coupe guy but I just saw the car on the Emergency TV program "Captain Hook" 1976,,I wonder how many TV shows it was used in? HRP

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Probably the same amount of threads there are on this car.....! :)

3. prpmmp

prpmmp

That car and the movie did it for me!!! 1 Year out of HighSchool in 1973 and the rest is history!! ( Yeah I have no taste but I loved that car and the cut down grill!!) Pete

4. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I think it was in a background shot of Hot Rod aka Rebel of the Road .

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. That's a pretty clean shot of the car there, HRP. Was it an integral part of the theme of the show?

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Did you see the giant nurses?

7. Don't know how many shows its been used in, I've always wondered how many clones of it have been built?

8. Yeah.....I know I should look it up...probably already been said....but ya' think the cut down grille was for a previously channeled version of same car? Or did the grille come from another channeled car entirely? I know all the hot rod guys crucified the movie, and tv appearances because of this mistake/mod/choice. Was on Happy Days too right?

9. raymay

raymay

Can't remember which studio made the Movie. If it was Universal there could have been more than one car. Years ago they used to claim they had one of largest car collections in the world. On a back lot tour we took in the 80's we saw duplicates of several Movie and TV show cars.
    At any rate, it still was always a cool looking car.

10. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I actually know what you are referring to...kinda scary.

kidcampbell71 and Graffiti32 like this.
  11. I noticed it to while watching emergency today.

Streetrods are drivin' by Chevy, Hotrods are powered by Ford!

Graffiti32 likes this.
  12. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

How come the lower part of the door is a different shade of yellow?

13. toucan

toucan
    from sc

if you dont like that car your not into hotrods!

Graffiti32 likes this.
  14. The '32 was a channelled coupe when purchased for the movie and then had the body raised but for some unknown reason left the grille as it was. Nothing wrong with the sbc Chevy either in it and I certainly admise the 4 carby set up on it. I don't think it was ever used on Happy Days too.

15. brady1929

brady1929

Love the car, hate the chopped grill.

16. Might have been that way all along and just needed to be under flourescent lights (or the right light)to show up-definitely shows up though

Graffiti32 likes this.
  17. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

That's not what I remember hearing. I believe it was in a mid 1970's Street Rodder mag that said it was actually purchased as a full fendered car. They bought it because it already had a chopped top. They bobbed the original rear fenders and sectioned the grille. The upholstery was originally a different color that they died black.

Graffiti32 likes this.
  18. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, it shows a picture of the car as purchased by the movie folks, and it's a completely fendered, driving, hot rod. Not channeled.

19. Lol that was me just trying not to screw up the thread with my dumb grille question. Chunked it out there, Ron Howard style....after I realized I veered off topic. :) Thanks for the answer.

20. It's cross between puke green and piss yellow. Been that way for a long time. Bet you thought falfa was just busting his balls right ? :)?

21. Mo rust

Mo rust

It was in the movie "California Kid" too.

22. uncle buck

uncle buck

just a couple shy of the number of '69 Z-28 camaro clones I would guess....

23. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

I remember that for some really strange reson. When viewing a closeup on the California kid engine, there is instead a closeup on the AG cars engine.
    But I can't remember the car being seen more than that in California Kid?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Your right, in the California Kid, when Martin Sheen is first pulled over by the cop, he opens the hood to show the cop the motor and that's the close up shot of the AG coupe engine and that was it.

Graffiti32 likes this.
  25. raymay

raymay

Been seeing several variations or cloned attempts of this car each year at the Syracuse Nationals. Candy Clark from the Movie has also showed up the past few years and they park a yellow coupe behind where she signs autographs.

26. HRP, see what you've started? You best get out in the garage and quit watching Roy, Johnny, and Dix.

kiwijeff likes this.
  27. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I've never seen a photo of the car, fully fendered and in it's pre-yellow color, before they worked their movie magic on it.

Graffiti32 likes this.
  28. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

John will always have the bitchenest car in the valley!

29. aircoup

aircoup

Nope they just used the engine in California kid open hood shot from what I heard in a early streetroddermag article

30. aircoup

aircoup

I'd like to see that pic never have ,

Graffiti32 likes this.