Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Armstrong on the rear?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 53OlderThanMe, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Haven't seen this done on the rear but I like the look. Got a good pair of these on the HAMB. I will be running the stock rear on the 31 Roadster. Anyone think of a reason I shouldn't do this? It will be hidden behind the 16-750 tires anyway.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. Should work, do you know the original use?
    If they are spaced away from the frame, they should be fully supported with a plate behind or bolt hole ears could break from twist in use.

3. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Heres two pics of my setup.They are rebuilt and work real good!!

Attached Files:

4. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

.. Individuality is what most Rod builders are after so I say; more power to ya.
    But if you like I’ll take off your hands.

5. skidmarks

skidmarks
    from USA

when I built the entire chassis that is in this car, I used Armstrong shocks front and rear. had to make a small aluminum spacer on the rear to clear the wheel well. They work fine. Just check you full travel

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I'm going to run my Armstrongs on the front and the rear of my 32 pickup build. They're one of my favorite details. I'm sad to say I'm not the first to do this, I'm just another white sheep.

"Listen Mr... It ain't broke if I can't fix it"

7. Thanks for the confirmations all. I realize I'm not reinventing the wheel here but I do like the looks of the lever shocks. I will try it with some spacers behind the mount tabs as they don't appear to be too stiff I think the shock lever will move fine before any kind of twist to the mount.

8. saucerhead

saucerhead

I had them on the front and rear of my avatar, and they worked great. I also used them on the front of a '34 roadster highboy back in '84. They worked great on that car to.

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I think they are a great substitute for the old Ford lever hydraulics. I got a pair off Ebay and another pair off the classifieds here for a tribute project I'm working on. I got lucky and one pair is stiffer (a bit larger) than the other so it should be a perfect match front to rear.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I'm running my stiffer(bigger body shorter arm) on the front also in effort to achieve balance. Although I have no idea which was intended to go fore or aft.

"Listen Mr... It ain't broke if I can't fix it"

11. The usual sources were Sprite/Midget, MG B, and big Healy's. They can be adjusted by fluid viscosity and the valve springing.

12. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I've got a pair on the back of the Morris Minor, which was the stock set-up. For some reason known only to Alec Issigonis and his team they are attached to the axle with links to the rear floor structure. I suspect that they are worn or empty or both, because the car rides exactly the same with the dampers connected as disconnected.

13. I've run them on the back of all my A's. MGB ones are the same bolt centre. I just weld a replacement model A ball in the wrong way round.

14. My A has them in the rear.
    Been there 10 years and probably more than 40,000 miles.
    Ride hasent changed a bit.
    Never even looked inside since they wer filled.
    Not a spot of oil ever on the outside.
    I would use them again, and wouldn't hesitate to put a set on the front.